Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #1

Shamrock Vs. Rockwood

In the 233S model, is the ONLY differences the color scheme? Living in Central PA, finding a Roo is impossible.. but Shamrocks are abundant. I really wanted a Rockwood Roo, but dont' want to travel 11 hours again one way to pick one up.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #2

Same product, same assembly line, just different color schemes
Old 10-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

Ok, just wanted to make sure. A 2 hour drive is a lot nicer than 11.. esp with 3 kids
Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #4

Only the colors are different

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0useforaname View Post
In the 233S model, is the ONLY differences the color scheme? Living in Central PA, finding a Roo is impossible.. but Shamrocks are abundant. I really wanted a Rockwood Roo, but dont' want to travel 11 hours again one way to pick one up.
Like you, n0useforaname, my wife wanted a Roo because the Hardwood floor color choices in 2017 were different for a Shamrock. We also live in Central PA, so the dealer in our area only had Shamrocks.

During our visit to the dealer just before buying the FR rep from Indiana was there. He actually walked around with the salesman and us (Dare I say, he was actually the saleman).

DW mentioned really liking the Rockwood floor and the Rep said, "No problem, they are made on the same assembly line. I'll just tell the boys to put a Rockwood floor in yours".

All of the color left the salesmans face and he was behind the FR Rep shaking his head NO in silence. When they wrote up the order the salesman told us he was not guaranteeing the Rockwood floor and the dealer would not take any responsibility if it was NOT a Rockwood floor.

6 Weeks later our Shamrock showed up with a Rockwood floor. I bumped into the same FR rep at the Hershey show this Fall. He remembered my Wife and we thanked him for his efforts. He really made the sale that day.

Have fun with your choice.
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

I'm assuming it was that Keystone RV place near MD border? They seemed to have a ton there. I found a few others but one place wants 21,900, then other 22,900, and up north its' like 26,900.. It's amazing the price hikes.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Quote:
I'm assuming it was that Keystone RV place near MD border? They seemed to have a ton there. I found a few others but one place wants 21,900, then other 22,900, and up north its' like 26,900.. It's amazing the price hikes.
More volume... more discounts. KS does more volume.
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

If you are trading in your current camper make sure to check some of the smaller local dealers. I almost went with Keystone but then checked C Neer in Northeast PA and their trade offer was so good that the new price - trade amount ended up beating Keystone by $300. And the entire process was outstanding. Chuck and Audrey sat through a ton of my questions, they were completely honest, the sales process was no pressure and smooth, the PDI was perfect and very detailed, and when I found a few minor warranty issues they took care of them promptly. Finding them was a very pleasant surprise after reading all of the horror stories on these forums...

I hear good things about Keystone and some of the volume dealers in Ohio too, but just make sure that you weigh your options and go with the best fit for you.
JPalmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalmieri View Post
If you are trading in your current camper make sure to check some of the smaller local dealers. I almost went with Keystone but then checked C Neer in Northeast PA and their trade offer was so good that the new price - trade amount ended up beating Keystone by $300. And the entire process was outstanding. Chuck and Audrey sat through a ton of my questions, they were completely honest, the sales process was no pressure and smooth, the PDI was perfect and very detailed, and when I found a few minor warranty issues they took care of them promptly. Finding them was a very pleasant surprise after reading all of the horror stories on these forums...

I hear good things about Keystone and some of the volume dealers in Ohio too, but just make sure that you weigh your options and go with the best fit for you.
Going to sale my outright. I talked to a few places, but a new 18K camper that is only 2 months old, every place said 10K max for trade. Not sure how 8K falls off a 2 month old camper.. esp. since warranty transfers.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Not sure how 8K falls off a 2 month old camper.. esp. since warranty transfers.
Factory Warranty does NOT transfer.
Maybe if it's a 3rd party extended warranty.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Factory Warranty does NOT transfer.
Maybe if it's a 3rd party extended warranty.
Dealership I bought mine from said everything except the 1 year bumper to bumper transfers. That includes canvas, rot, etc..
Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #11

When we were shopping around, my wife was also sold on the Roo interior color schemes. Our closest Forest River dealer that carried the Roo is our local Camping World. I got a quote from them for a Roo, ordered from factory with our requested options. I also got a quote for a Shamrock from RV1 in Des Moines, same options. Most RV1 locations carry both, but the Des Moines location we would be picking up from can only get the Shamrocks for some reason. I took both quotes back to Camping World and got them down a little on the Roo, but they were still 4K higher than the Shamrock from RV1. When the wife found out how much we'd be paying for her preferred color scheme, she changed her mind.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Dealership I bought mine from said everything except the 1 year bumper to bumper transfers. That includes canvas, rot, etc..
Are you talking about a 3rd party extended warranty? It might be transferable.
If so, PLEASE read the fine print and don't rely on what the dealer said.

If you're talking about the individual supplier's warranty, like Dometic, WFCO or Atwood, they are not transferable.
For example, in my 13 years of being on various hybrid forums, I've never heard of the canvas manufaturer"s warranty being transferable.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Going to sale my outright. I talked to a few places, but a new 18K camper that is only 2 months old, every place said 10K max for trade. Not sure how 8K falls off a 2 month old camper.. esp. since warranty transfers.
Nothing loses value like an RV. The market has recovered a lot in the last 10 years though. When the economy collapsed 10 years ago you couldn't give an RV away.

An 18k camper loses 3k when you drive it off the lot plus the dealer you trade in to wants to make several K. Hence 10k trade. Also in the used market there is pricing competition. Being less than a year old makes it worse. You can try to sell it for 17k but most people look at it and say "if I am going to pay that much for a used camper, might as well pay a little more for a brand new one." Hence you have to give a deep discount to make people interested. So it turns into a 15k - 16k camper.

Trading in is always a bad idea with campers or cars unless you are willing to give up thousands because you just don't want to sell it yourself. You have to be willing to sit on it for a while until it sells.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeuncool View Post
Nothing loses value like an RV. The market has recovered a lot in the last 10 years though. When the economy collapsed 10 years ago you couldn't give an RV away.

An 18k camper loses 3k when you drive it off the lot plus the dealer you trade in to wants to make several K. Hence 10k trade. Also in the used market there is pricing competition. Being less than a year old makes it worse. You can try to sell it for 17k but most people look at it and say "if I am going to pay that much for a used camper, might as well pay a little more for a brand new one." Hence you have to give a deep discount to make people interested. So it turns into a 15k - 16k camper.

Trading in is always a bad idea with campers or cars unless you are willing to give up thousands because you just don't want to sell it yourself. You have to be willing to sit on it for a while until it sells.
Right, sell it yourself and you get 15k not 10k the dealer offered. Because then side by side with a new $18k it does look good. Plus the new one probably creeped up to $19k and they are advertising it at $21k. Now $10k trade looks rediculas and a private sale at $15k looks like a deal.

I think it's not so much the RV market being good or bad as much as gas prices are low. 8mpg is much better at $2.50/gal compared to the $5/gal is was pushing when the RV prices took a hit. At that price you can buy a decent hotel everywhere you go driving your 30mpg or better car.

Where I like to go there are no hotels so I'll pay no matter what. The gas drop did encourage me to park the Hi-lo and buy a full height trailer though.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Yep, I refuse to do trade-ins cause the customer will lose somewhere in the deal.
I always sell my vehicles and RVs myself. I did attempt a trade-in with our new TT.
They only were willing to give me $4000 value.
I ended up selling it for twice that.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you talking about a 3rd party extended warranty? It might be transferable.
If so, PLEASE read the fine print and don't rely on what the dealer said.

If you're talking about the individual supplier's warranty, like Dometic, WFCO or Atwood, they are not transferable.
For example, in my 13 years of being on various hybrid forums, I've never heard of the canvas manufaturer"s warranty being transferable.
I contacted my dealer again.. they told me the owner of that dealership can call Forest River and have the warranty info changed, and that they have done it many times before. And that's the factory warranty. The only thing Forest River will not transfer is the 1 year B to B.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:14 AM   #17

Quote:
I contacted my dealer again.. they told me the owner of that dealership can call Forest River and have the warranty info changed, and that they have done it many times before. And that's the factory warranty. The only thing Forest River will not transfer is the 1 year B to B.
This sounds VERY FISHY! YOUROO! !
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This sounds VERY FISHY! YOUROO! !
Dealership has been in business for something like 50 years and have tons of 5 star reviews. I traveled half way across the US to pick up from them and they have been great with me. I actually have the owners sons cell phone number and even months after the sell he has called me, send me instructional videos, helped with questions while I was camping/etc.. Great people, great prices, they were amazing. They aren't some giant wholesale dealer either, very personable. I would really be shocked if they were lying to me.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
Like you, n0useforaname, my wife wanted a Roo because the Hardwood floor color choices in 2017 were different for a Shamrock. We also live in Central PA, so the dealer in our area only had Shamrocks.

During our visit to the dealer just before buying the FR rep from Indiana was there. He actually walked around with the salesman and us (Dare I say, he was actually the saleman).

DW mentioned really liking the Rockwood floor and the Rep said, "No problem, they are made on the same assembly line. I'll just tell the boys to put a Rockwood floor in yours".

All of the color left the salesmans face and he was behind the FR Rep shaking his head NO in silence. When they wrote up the order the salesman told us he was not guaranteeing the Rockwood floor and the dealer would not take any responsibility if it was NOT a Rockwood floor.

6 Weeks later our Shamrock showed up with a Rockwood floor. I bumped into the same FR rep at the Hershey show this Fall. He remembered my Wife and we thanked him for his efforts. He really made the sale that day.

Have fun with your choice.

Ron

LOL, that is the best story yet! I'm glad you got what you wanted.
2 in a Roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, shamrock