Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Slide out isn't working on shore power

Hello fellow campers!

I'm hoping someone out there can help me a problem. I have a 2014 223s Rockwood Roo with a dinette slide out. On our last trip the slide wouldn't retract on shore power. It didn't even make a sound. I checked the fuse under the rig which I've had to replace 3-4 times in the past. It was fine.

I eventually just cut the shore power and tried it with the battery. It worked, VERY S-L-O-W-L-Y, but it worked.

When this happened the rest of the camper power was fine, ac, fridge, etc. all worked when tested.

I've used the slide in my drive way, at this campground & others on shore power with no problem.

Any idea why it's not getting power from the shore?? Thank you for your help!
Camping4sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:54 AM   #2

Did you check the fuses in your converter? It sounds like the converter is not providing 12 volts.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
Did you check the fuses in your converter? It sounds like the converter is not providing 12 volts.
If you are plugged in and have 110v power (clock on the microwave is on), it does sound like a converter issue. A quick check would be measure the voltage across your battery terminals with a multi-meter. If you have something around 13.7 volts, the converter is working properly. If its less than 13, you probably aren't getting anything from the converter. Sounds like the battery was close to dead when the slide moved very slowly, so that would also indicate a converter issue.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

Most slide outs only work on battery. Your battery is probably weak, and sounds like you may not be getting a charge from the shore power which could be a wiring issue, bad connection, or the battery is that far gone.

Good Luck!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Try working with the battery disconnect switch, make sure it is in the " on" position. Our wardrobe slide won't work on shore power if battery disconnect switch is in "off" or pushed in position. Just an idea.
Momma Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
If you are plugged in and have 110v power (clock on the microwave is on), it does sound like a converter issue. A quick check would be measure the voltage across your battery terminals with a multi-meter. If you have something around 13.7 volts, the converter is working properly. If its less than 13, you probably aren't getting anything from the converter. Sounds like the battery was close to dead when the slide moved very slowly, so that would also indicate a converter issue.
Thank you for the reply, the battery is pretty new & the fuses have all check out. If it's the converter, where are these usually located? I know all rigs are a little different but if you could point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you again to everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.
Camping4sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping4sum View Post
Thank you for the reply, the battery is pretty new & the fuses have all check out. If it's the converter, where are these usually located? I know all rigs are a little different but if you could point me in the right direction I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you again to everyone for your help. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

If the battery is fairly new, that also points to the converter - which is typically inside the power distribution center (breaker box). Your easiest way to check its output is to measure across the battery terminals, but you could also open up the panel and check the output there.

Do you have a multi-meter you can check with?

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, slide, slide out