Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #1

So I am thinking the 21SS will be my next trailer.

A) any large difference between Rockwood and Shamrock? The floor plans seem the same. I honestly liked the decor of the Shamrock better, but I don't find any local dealers.
B) Any experience with either or both? Good or bad. Love to hear some input. This probably won't happen till next spring, but it may happen if I get my house refinanced.
Pacwind3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #2

We love our Roo. (2014 21SS). My only complaint is that in cooler weather the pop-outs get pretty cold. I recommend extra blankets as I feel the heated mattresses really don't do much (one of ours doesn't work at all). We sleep 5-6 people comfortably. The closet in ours is pretty small, but we just use duffel bags and store clothing under the front end bed.

Have fun shopping!
Smileyshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacwind3 View Post
A) any large difference between Rockwood and Shamrock? The floor plans seem the same. I honestly liked the decor of the Shamrock better, but I don't find any local dealers.
B) Any experience with either or both? Good or bad. Love to hear some input. This probably won't happen till next spring, but it may happen if I get my house refinanced.
The Roo and Shamrock hybrids are twin brands made on the same assembly line.
Only difference is the outside graphics and interior decor.
There are way more Roo dealers than Shamrock dealers nationwide.

Any experiences will be no different since they are the same trailer.

RV Direct sells both brands, has some of the best prices in the country and the Shamrock can be picked in Des Moines.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The Roo and Shamrock hybrids are twin brands made on the same assembly line.
Only difference is the outside graphics and interior decor.
There are way more Roo dealers than Shamrock dealers nationwide.

Any experiences will be no different since they are the same trailer.

RV Direct sells both brands, has some of the best prices in the country and the Shamrock can be picked in Des Moines.

Good to know, thank you. I live in Washington state. I DID find a local dealer carrying Rockwood trailers. They didn't have a 21ss that I could walk through, but they stated they can order one. I kind of like the idea of custom ordering my trailer to get exactly what I want. I don't thing there are major options, but I'd rather have stainless appliances. Not fond of the wood panels on the fridge doors. Other then that, I love the floor plan. We have a 2005 Jayco Jayfeather 18f now. It's a great starter trailer, but it's a touch small for 4 people. We literally just got it late last year and have only had about 5 nights out with the whole family. I've been solo camping a lot, and I have all the room in the world by myself. We really need a couch though. The dinette seats get hard on your butt after awhile.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #5
Boondocking Only

Great choice! Same unit different graphics & decor. "Shamrock" is a cooler name & the graphics are much better on the Shamrock. It seems more dealers tend to carry the roo. Win win either way. A generator is a must! The heated mattresses are fantastic when boondocking. Check out Pop Up Gizmos also.
2010 F250 Lariat 6.8 V-10 w/Timbren SES
Custom Tunes by 5 Star Tuning
Boondocking Only
ddbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #6

21SS

Last spring we went from jayco pop up to a Rockwood ROO 21SS. We liked the pop up but over time wanted a bathroom and easier set up. So one camping and toured it and fell in love. We were watching videos from Haylett rv in Michigan about them. Our pop up suffer 2 flat tires last spring in Michigan and just happened to be close to Haylett rv and traded for a 2017 21SS and camped last year more than any other year, in the last 25.

Happy camping
Old 05-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #7

Love our 21SS

We have enjoyed out 21SS for over a year now and absolutely love it!!! The bunk ends can get cold. Not going to lie. We live in Idaho and camp at higher elevations where nighttime temperatures easily dip down to or below freezing. This isn't our first hybrid so we ordered some bunk end covers to help keep it warmer. It also greatly reduces the amount of condensation and keeps it darker in the morning. They're super easy to put on and we use binder clips to make sure they stay put in the event it's windy. Here is where we purchased ours after making our first ones. PopupGizmos We upgraded to a fully enclosed trailer a few years ago and I hated it. I wanted the convenience and less set up but missed hearing the sounds of nature too much (love camping near streams and rivers) Now that we are back in a hybrid, we appreciate it so much more.
abewitched1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

21SS Roo or Shamrock

We picked up our 21SS Roo a year ago last March and we love it! Lots of room and storage. We just got back from a trip to Florida from Wisconsin and had a great time with one very small problem with the Roo! A screw broke on a bracket that holds up the black and gray sewer pipes. Easy fix!
For the trip to Florida, I cut Reflectix(from Menard's or Lowe's) to fit in the bunk windows and got two "Sport Utility Blankets" from http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore..._/R-235460.htm
to put over each bunk end roof to reflect the sun and the worked very well. I attached them with (3) 2 inch spring clamps on each side so a total of 12 clamps (Menard's). The A/C did not have to work as hard to keep it very comfortable in 90 degree heat.
This is what I did to the closet, got this from Container Store, see photos. Added a paper towel holder above the sink and one in the front storage compartment.
I also added a shelf in the cabinet above the sink and added battery operated LED light to the cabinet. Always doing or adding something to make it just right for us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02695.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	136715   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02694.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	136716  
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemgoss View Post
We picked up our 21SS Roo a year ago last March and we love it! Lots of room and storage. We just got back from a trip to Florida from Wisconsin and had a great time with one very small problem with the Roo! A screw broke on a bracket that holds up the black and gray sewer pipes. Easy fix!
For the trip to Florida, I cut Reflectix(from Menard's or Lowe's) to fit in the bunk windows and got two "Sport Utility Blankets" from http://www.mountaingear.com/webstore..._/R-235460.htm
to put over each bunk end roof to reflect the sun and the worked very well. I attached them with (3) 2 inch spring clamps on each side so a total of 12 clamps (Menard's). The A/C did not have to work as hard to keep it very comfortable in 90 degree heat.
This is what I did to the closet, got this from Container Store, see photos. Added a paper towel holder above the sink and one in the front storage compartment.
I also added a shelf in the cabinet above the sink and added battery operated LED light to the cabinet. Always doing or adding something to make it just right for us!
I just bought the same hanging closet shelves. DHL plans on adding a shelf in the cabinet over the sink. PUGS will be ordered this week.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #10

Pics please

Any pics of your rigs? Mod pics etc would be great!
Old 05-04-2017, 07:29 PM   #11

Love it.

We have an '09 Roo, and love it. It is small enough to fit into almost any camp site, and roomy enough for 6 to fit comfortably. Be aware that you'll want to keep a close eye on the caulking on the bunk ends. They make these trailers out of pressboard, so any water leak turns it to mush pretty quickly. We put shelves in the closet, added solar for boon docking, and changed our lights to LEDs. The best mod I made was to put a battery powered piezo electric sparker on the stove. Enjoy.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #12

2014 Shamrock 21ss here and I can't say enough good things about it! Honestly would have purchased a Roo 21ss, but the Shamrock came along first. I did have a tough time finding a 21ss...not many where available on the west coast, and I was even willing to travel. Had a 2014 Roo 21ss for sale within walking distance of my house but the price was WAY to high...beautiful trailer though. Ending up driving from Northern California to Southern California for the Shamrock and it was so worth it! Best of luck.

m
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeeley View Post
2014 Shamrock 21ss here and I can't say enough good things about it! Honestly would have purchased a Roo 21ss, but the Shamrock came along first. I did have a tough time finding a 21ss...not many where available on the west coast, and I was even willing to travel. Had a 2014 Roo 21ss for sale within walking distance of my house but the price was WAY to high...beautiful trailer though. Ending up driving from Northern California to Southern California for the Shamrock and it was so worth it! Best of luck.

m

Lot's of positive replies here, thank you all. I figured we were on the path to the right RV for us. The part I am the most excited about is my wife. She isn't/wasn't big on camping. We got our little Jayco hybrid late last summer and after some serious remodeling inside, she started to get on board with the idea. I think she's really turning the corner on the camping subject. I know she's getting excited about the idea of the Roo. I'll let y'all know how this plays out. We are probably still months away, but we shall see. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #14

We just brought home our 2014 Roo 21SS yesterday. Spending the day exploring it and cleaning to my specifications. Got a great deal-- we live 60 miles from RV headquarters in northern IN. Will be looking for help and advice as we start to venture out!
Sansvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Lot's of positive replies here, thank you all. I figured we were on the path to the right RV for us. The part I am the most excited about is my wife. She isn't/wasn't big on camping. We got our little Jayco hybrid late last summer and after some serious remodeling inside, she started to get on board with the idea. I think she's really turning the corner on the camping subject. I know she's getting excited about the idea of the Roo. I'll let y'all know how this plays out. We are probably still months away, but we shall see. Thanks again everyone.
Back when I was considering buying an RV I was also months away from doing so. However, to my surprise it turned out to be sooner than I thought.

Setting the timing aside the research you are doing will come in handy. Good luck.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #16

So I am thinking the 21SS will be my next trailer.

We just got a great deal on an 08' Roo 21SS and we love it too! First TT. We are cleaning it out getting it ready to camp too!!! So happy we went with the Roo [emoji4]
Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 AM   #17
hamster

Quote:
Good to know, thank you. I live in Washington state. I DID find a local dealer carrying Rockwood trailers. They didn't have a 21ss that I could walk through, but they stated they can order one. I kind of like the idea of custom ordering my trailer to get exactly what I want. I don't thing there are major options, but I'd rather have stainless appliances. Not fond of the wood panels on the fridge doors. Other then that, I love the floor plan. We have a 2005 Jayco Jayfeather 18f now. It's a great starter trailer, but it's a touch small for 4 people. We literally just got it late last year and have only had about 5 nights out with the whole family. I've been solo camping a lot, and I have all the room in the world by myself. We really need a couch though. The dinette seats get hard on your butt after awhile.

I live in Washington as well. I bought my Shamrock across the boarder at Cottonwood RV in Chilliwack BC. It wasn't much trouble getting it across the boarder and I saved a bunch of money with the exchange difference.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #18

I would also suggest the Palomino Solaire 19x is also very similar. I didn't even know they existed but the nearest Rockwood dealer was 3 hours away in Spokane Washington. We got our 2017 Solaire right in our home town of Missoula Montana and got it for $21,000 total last year. We love it so far, the warranty is about up but we had zero problems, well maybe one 120v outlet isn't working right. Also seeing the canvas separation on the Roos think the velcro/drape style on the bottoms of the Palomino might be better long term.
Hersbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer