Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

Spongey Floors

Hello all I am wondering if you could tell me where to find some videos on replacing a spongey floor in my 2008 Rockwood Roo. I would like to know where the joists are and what to expect if I rip the floor up. Thanks for your help.
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator View Post
Hello all I am wondering if you could tell me where to find some videos on replacing a spongey floor in my 2008 Rockwood Roo. I would like to know where the joists are and what to expect if I rip the floor up. Thanks for your help.

Your floor has 1-1/2" square aluminum tube frame welded together and infilled with beaded styrofoam. On the top is 3/16 plywood and on the bottom is 1/8" plywood. Its all glued together under pressure in a vacuum as one large section. The spacing of the aluminum tubes will vary by year and model. It is then set on the frame as an assembly and the vinyl flooring is laid on. Every other single part including the exterior walls now is set on top of the floor assembly.

That is what makes replacing a floor in one of these trailers a real bear of a project. The top layer of plywood is under everything. Cabinets, walls, etc. When you cut it and take it out the foam comes with it usually and then nothing is holding the bottom layer. What you can expect is a crapload of work, and its usually not worth it in the long run. I know a few people who have done it and its no picnic.

Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
Use the Force Roo

Same thing happened to us...

Hello...

Before acquisition of our Rockwood Roo 233s, we bought a 2006 Keystone Zeppelin EZ190 and the same thing happened to us after owning it for years. It would have cost us thousands of dollars to fix and we were advised from our Independent RV Tech that does service on our RV Service at home to trade it in and buy another...

I admire your determination on this project... keep us informed how it comes out. I have heard of people just putting down plywood over the floor and not ripping it up, but that has to add weight to the RV...
BGlickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #4

Soon get Floor

The floor of my MicroLite suffered water damage and developed soft spots. After considering all the repair options, I decided to simply place a 3/4" OSB sheet cut to size directly on the spongey floor. It provides sufficient floor stability, and did not add significant weight to the trailer. I compensated by removing unnecessary items from inside and storage areas.
Hector517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

Post #2 is Correct,EVERYTHING must come off the Floor to perform this job Properly! Post # 3 is a Cob Job! Your choice! Youroo!!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

I did this on a used hybrid a number of years back. It is a bear of job. You do have to remove everything and the way they are built the walls sit on top of the floor making it even harder. Took me a couple of weekends to complete. Not impossible but know it isn't esay

Mike
Mikemiller69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #7

I thank everyone for their input. All I need at the moment is functionality and not perfection. I am waiting for the price of oil to go back up to purchase a new Airstream. Then I am off to a 6 month adventure of this great country.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Fixed my floor!

Hello all I worked on floor last week and it is fixed. Here is what I did. I cut up the 1/4 inch flooring to expose the insulation and the joists. I took out the insulation and vacuumed it clean. I then bought some aluminium angle iron, self tapping screws and 5/8" plywood. I cut the angle iron long enough to go the length of the opening I exposed along the joists and screwed the angle iron 5/8" below the top of the joist with the self tapping screws. I then cut the plywood to fit in the opening and sit on the angle iron flush with the top of the joist. screwed the plywood down to the angle iron and finished the top off with new 1/4" flooring and laid down laminate flooring on top of that. This strengthened the floor right up. I recorded what i did on video so I will post it soon. I did this in about a day and it looks great.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

tominator, thanks very much for the posting. What an excellent job that I need to do on my Micro Lite. I will look forward to your video.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:04 PM   #10

Floor repaired!

Here is a video of how I repaired my floor. It worked great and is very strong. If you have any question please ask. this is my first video!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #11

Nice fix !!

2017 Shamrock 23IKSS
2011 Ram 1500
Old 09-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #12

Wow! Great job!