Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #1

Store black/grey water drain hose in bumper?

It's been suggested that I store the water drain hose in the hollow of the rear bumper. I'm concerned about it causing rust and rotting out the bumper. That happened on my spare tire carrier on my boat trailer and the carrier snapped and I dumped the spare tire in the middle of the freeway at 65 mph. It was crazy seeing the tire rolling along behind us for quite a distance but unfortunately another vehicle struck it and it caused a minor accident. Thankfully no injuries.

Where do you store your drain hose? How do you prevent spread of bacteria?
Troutd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:54 PM   #2

Fence post sewer mod:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...r-88264-2.html

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #3

I store our RhinoFlex hose in the bumper, it goes in dry and doesn't get the inside of the bumper wet. There are holes in the bumper end caps to allow for airflow as well, and I make sure the elbow for the sewer-side is facing up so that if there is some water still in there then it won't leak into the bumper. The drain valve end has a cap to keep it sealed. The sewer end also has a cap for that matter, but it's too big to fit inside the bumper when on the drain hose.

The inside of the bumper is as clean as if we never put the drain hose in there.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:16 AM   #4

I have the Rhinoflex hose as well. I have caps on both ends of the hose but even if I didn't, the amount of water that is in the hose would evaporate before any corrosion could possibly be caused by it. I would be way more worried about the hose wearing out by rubbing in the bumper vs corrosion of the bumper itself.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutd0g View Post
Where do you store your drain hose? How do you prevent spread of bacteria?
I ordered a Valterra black hose holder tube from my local RV dealer and mounted it with homemade brackets above the bumper/behind the spare tire. I lock it with small padlocks, and it is large enough for Rhino sewer hoses.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

I don’t think I’ll own my RV long enough for the bumper to rust out. And Forest River bolted my spare tire to the back wall of the coach. The trailer hitch is bolted to the frame rather than the hose carrying bumper. To each, their own way of doing things as long as parts aren’t falling off on the highway.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

On my previous TT I stored the hose in the bumper for 20+ years and it didn't rust out. Replaced the hose a couple times but not because the bumper wore holes in it, it just cracked and leaked.
jboczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:16 PM   #8

I have the Rhino hose and put caps on each end of a well rinsed slinky. I cap one end and start shoving it in and attach a second hose and keep shoving and compressing... if I had both ends capped it would pressurize the slinky and it would never compress. At the end I put on the cap. I replaced the bumper hole caps with bumper caps with tiny air holes. Another way to keep out wasps, daubers, etc. Grandkids filled me up with gravel in that hole once! The little bit of water that might get in always dries. It is plastic hose against painted inside bumper so no scratches.

I did have to file/sand some of the plastic protrusions about 1/16" on all sides of the sewer pipe ends so it slid in easily. The elbow won't go in to it stows in compartment with my other fittings, donut, hose used for black tank flush, etc.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

I bought the Plano storage box off Amazon for $40.

My slinkys have male and female ends. I join them togather and toss them in the box. I have 3 Voltara 10' hoses and related acessories in the box. Stored in the front compartment of the fifth whel.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velosprout View Post
I ordered a Valterra black hose holder tube from my local RV dealer and mounted it with homemade brackets above the bumper/behind the spare tire. I lock it with small padlocks, and it is large enough for Rhino sewer hoses.
Any chance you can post a pic showing a Rhino fitting in one? I've been hesitant to buy one because I know my Rhino doesn't fit in the bumper. (It's the semi-transparent/white 90° end, I have an issue with, the bayonet end fits, so the bumper holds my Rhino extensions easily enough.)
Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

Valterra Black Hose is 4-1/2" inside so it fits. Had one on my popup that didn't have hollow bumper. It is expandable tube... Used black duct tape over the seam when I got it adjusted... could have sealed with clear sealant.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...xoCaEQQAvD_BwE
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #12

I store two lengths of sewer hoses in my bumper but I did get rid of those silly plastic end caps that don't stay on very long. I drilled two holes at each end of the bumper and drop a long bolt vertically downward with nylon lock nuts at each end of the bumper. Even if the lock nuts would somehow fail, the bolt would stay in place.

As far as the bumper rusting, just look at how thin the material is. You know it won't last a long time.

When I bought one of my five boats, the previous owner said that the trailer had rust but it was okay. I bought the boat and towed it home on a three hour drive. When I got home, I started checking the trailer because the rust looked bad. I tapped the frame with a hammer and found that the hammer went right through the metal in many areas! I bought a brand new trailer for that boat.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #13

Boat trailers with square tubing are way more susceptible to rust than a bumper. One, you aren't dunking your bumper in saltwater and two, a boat trailer traps the water in the tubing.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 PM   #14

I just try to keep the water inside the slinky. You’ve messed something up if the outside is wet - and I’ve done it.

Truthfully, if you are that concerned, go to a plastic holder.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:43 AM   #15

we store two extra drain hoses in the rear bumper. WE have caps for each end to keep them sealed and not leaking into the bumper. No problems in many years and several campers.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
Ham Call N8SAC

I always stored mine in a plastic tool box . 20’ would fit in each tool box .
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:18 AM   #17

Great info thanks everyone. I've decided to strap a length of pvc to a cross member under the trailer and keep the he hose there. I will angle it slightly to allow drainage. It will require me to get on the ground to get/put the hose but at least it will be out of sight and won't contribute to rusting out the thin bumper. I'm pretty meticulous with my toys. I have a boat that i bought new 22 years ago that still looks and runs great because I put a little tvof effort into care and maintenance. Hoping to do the same with this trailer - my first.
Troutd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Any chance you can post a pic showing a Rhino fitting in one? I've been hesitant to buy one because I know my Rhino doesn't fit in the bumper. (It's the semi-transparent/white 90° end, I have an issue with, the bayonet end fits, so the bumper holds my Rhino extensions easily enough.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533435371.917442.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	182293cClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1533435457.624260.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	182294

I just took these at the campground.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 PM   #19

On our 26RR, it originally had a round tube for the stinky slinky underneath the tt ~ trashed that as you cannot put anything in there except the hose. Did the PVC Fence Post Mod which has been mentioned and couldn't be happier with the ease of accessing everything. BTW ~ have seen several stinky slinky's along the highway this year during our travels ... my guess is the end cap popped off somewhere and everything just kept bouncing out.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, drain, grey water, water