Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #1

Stripped Screw on Front Bed Door

Need help
Last weekend when I went to close the front bunk this screw apparently is stripped. Tried to tighten and it just turns. I am a bit nervous fixing this since this is part of what keeps the door locked. There is not much room to work with either. How should I fix this? I do have some thoughts in mind but before I start working on it thought maybe I would reach out to all of you for advise. Or should I just call someone to come out? It's currently in an RV park for the summer. I cant close the door because of this right now. The picture is sideways but, hopefully you get the idea.
Very much appriciate any advise. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200717_190640.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	234121  
camping2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

Fixed a lot of that with wood glue and toothpicks.

Add glue. Cram the hole full with tooth picks. Or gently tapered Dowel rod.

Insert screw. Let dry overnight.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

Thank you for replying so quickly. I had thought of that but wasn't sure if wood was the way to go. Would it help if I got a bit longer screw as well?
Old 07-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #4

Id follow advice above. I prefer using wooden matches (break the heads off of course- rather than toothpicks. Be sure to use a waterproof glue and jam the wood in tight. I haven't found it necessary to let the glue dry very long prior to reinserting the screw. If easier, for you, a screw of slightly larger diameter would probably work but I'd try that second.
The glue and stick filling the hole is least likely to cause any additional problems.
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping2020 View Post
Thank you for replying so quickly. I had thought of that but wasn't sure if wood was the way to go. Would it help if I got a bit longer screw as well?
Without knowing what’s back there I would not go to a longer screw. Glue, toothpicks have worked for me.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #6

I was concerned about that as well. I will stay with the same size and the match sticks.
Thank you for the help!
Old 07-17-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Without knowing what’s back there I would not go to a longer screw. Glue, toothpicks have worked for me.
It's a Luan sandwich construction panel.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping2020 View Post
Need help
Last weekend when I went to close the front bunk this screw apparently is stripped. Tried to tighten and it just turns. I am a bit nervous fixing this since this is part of what keeps the door locked. There is not much room to work with either. How should I fix this? I do have some thoughts in mind but before I start working on it thought maybe I would reach out to all of you for advise. Or should I just call someone to come out? It's currently in an RV park for the summer. I cant close the door because of this right now. The picture is sideways but, hopefully you get the idea.
Very much appriciate any advise. Thank you!!
I would go with a tee nut. They come with and without prongs to sink into and grip one surface or without prongs so not to mare the surface. Available at any Lowe's or HD. Search "Tee Nut" and you can find a picture. Sorry for the long URL's

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-C...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #9

Umm...no

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzac1954 View Post
I would go with a tee nut. They come with and without prongs to sink into and grip one surface or without prongs so not to mare the surface. Available at any Lowe's or HD. Search "Tee Nut" and you can find a picture. Sorry for the long URL's

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-3-8...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-2-C...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Tee nuts are applied from the BACK side. You drill all the way through the media and insert the Tee nut from the back side, the screw in a machine screw from the FRONT side. I do not believe the OP has access to the back side in this case.

Some instances (e.g., metal thicker than sheet metal) are suitable for Rivnuts. These are essentially a pop-rivet with a threaded core. But this in instance the media is soft luan plywood. Rivnuts would not work.

If there's some thickness behind the luan plywood, I favor plastic anchors. You can get them with and without flanges at the big end. Use the ones without flanges if it's important that the fixture mount flush to the surface. The one without flanges are a little trickier to use. It helps to insert the screw the first time without the fixture in place, to expand the anchor. Then remove the screw and mount the fixture by turning the screw without applying much pressure on the tool.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #10
RV There Yet?

I like a polyurethane glue like “gorilla glue”. Wet the surface, apply glue to damp toothpicks, fill hole with glue coated toothpicks. Insert screw and tighten. Done and done. The glue will expand a bit and grip all sorts of surfaces.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
Hot Dog Slayer

You could also try a butterfly anchor, if the wood and glue doesn't work.

I've fixed plenty of problems using both options.
Attached Images

2016 Forest River Microlite 21DS

2019 Ram 1500 Pearl Red Limited
Geobound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, door