Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

Suburban Model SW6DE Question

I finally got to go camping in my "new" hybrid (2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 23SS), and I am having a problem with my water heater. On my previous hybrid (2008 Starcraft 195CK), I could use both the electric element and the propane whenever we needed faster cycle time on the hot water. I'm in camp now (eastern shore of VA), and although the propane initially fired up with the electric also turned on, after a short time, the "fault" light lit on the control panel indicating that the propane pilot wasn't lit. I tried resetting it as per the instructions, but no luck. I know I have propane as we just finished cooking in the camper, and we also ran the fridge on propane driving to camp. Can anyone help me out with this? I haven't run out of hot water yet, but I would like to solve this, if possible. Thanks in advance!
jimtrvl917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtrvl917 View Post
I finally got to go camping in my "new" hybrid (2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 23SS), and I am having a problem with my water heater. On my previous hybrid (2008 Starcraft 195CK), I could use both the electric element and the propane whenever we needed faster cycle time on the hot water. I'm in camp now (eastern shore of VA), and although the propane initially fired up with the electric also turned on, after a short time, the "fault" light lit on the control panel indicating that the propane pilot wasn't lit. I tried resetting it as per the instructions, but no luck. I know I have propane as we just finished cooking in the camper, and we also ran the fridge on propane driving to camp. Can anyone help me out with this? I haven't run out of hot water yet, but I would like to solve this, if possible. Thanks in advance!
You always check the propane supply and delivery first. You said you just finished cooking. Could you have exhausted the propane doing that? Light your stove burners back up and make sure you have a good flame to test for propane.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Team

One other thing is if the electric element has the water already heated, the propane will not light as the thermostat won't sense the need to close.

However, you should not get a DSI fault in that circumstance

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

wmtire has given you good advice.

The only other thing I might mention is turn BOTH methods off for 10 minutes and let the control board reset. I had a Suburban water heater that would often go into lock out on it's 1st try when on propane but after turning off and then back on, it would function just fine for the remainder of the camping trip. I never did find the reason and just lived with it.

As mentioned, you should be able to use both systems of heating.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #5

Check your pipe on the tank it might have a cob web in it run a round brush thru it bc the web is naked to. the eye.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

Might be the control board itself or igniter as they would also call it. Had our's replaced already and it only was a year old.
mykie64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #7

There are some great threads on this topic, just type in suburban SW6DE in the search engine at top of Forum page.

I see you have a 2015 unit so you may have issues that come with age of the unit. On my 2017 I recently had the same problem you have and I did all the trouble shooting possible, cleaning the ignitor, making sure gas was flowing, it's all there in the forum thread. In the end I had to get a circuit board, easy to install, about $100 and everything was fine after that.

Do be careful if you are on campground power because I find if I am on electric and gas it takes a lot of hot water use to get the gas to come on. Try running hot water way down and see what happens.

Yes, with your model gas and electric should both work.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #8

Forgot to tell you, when mine quit working I could hear it clicking as it was trying to fire, believe it does this three times several seconds apart and then quits trying. Might give you an idea as to weather it may be circuit board, aka control board.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #9

Clear the spider nest out of the gas jet. Use something very soft to poke it out so you don't enlarge the jet diameter.

-- Chuck
Old 06-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #10

Support appreciated

Thanks again for everyones assistance and suggestions. This forum is great! After reading all the responses , I checked the propane tanks and confirmed that is not the issue. I will try cleaning the jet when I get home. After I had the water heater switch off all night, I switched it back on, and it tried to ignite one time and then the light came back on and nothing. After I check the jet, if that doesn't work, I'll look at replacing the board. In the meantime I'll check the other posts on the forum and read up on the issue further.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #11

I'm going to preface this by saying I don't know the make and model of my water heater right off, I have a 2018 Shamrock 21SS. What I have noticed for us, is that the water heater will work off gas when I run the fridge on gas, as soon as I switch the fridge to electric, the DFI light comes on for the water heater. I can run run the fridge on gas and the water heater on electric, but not vice versa. I'm not handy and neither is my husband, so for right now, we just deal with it and just run them both off the same, whether it be gas or electric.

On our last trip out in January, I did light up the stove burners to try clear out air in the lines, I don't remember if that solved the issue or not. I'll have to try it again next time we go out.
dseepersad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtrvl917 View Post
Thanks again for everyones assistance and suggestions. This forum is great! After reading all the responses , I checked the propane tanks and confirmed that is not the issue. I will try cleaning the jet when I get home. After I had the water heater switch off all night, I switched it back on, and it tried to ignite one time and then the light came back on and nothing. After I check the jet, if that doesn't work, I'll look at replacing the board. In the meantime I'll check the other posts on the forum and read up on the issue further.
Several times a year I blow compressed air into the burner tubes for the water heater and the fridge. I'm always amazed at what comes out of there. If the problem is the board it may have a burn mark on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	230473  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #13

First step in problem solving is determining the problem. Throwing parts at things is rarely effective unless you've identified the problem. The "circuit" board seems to be working as it's sparking when the heater is turned on -- you did verify this, right? You're not fast enough to throw the switch and run outside. Hard to see in daylight but the little sparks are bright enough at night.

Have you manually lit the water heater? That'll confirm/deny gas at the burner.

Is the flame sensor in the proper position at the igniter?

My bet is still on a tiny, white seed size spider ball in the jet.

-- Chuck
Old 06-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #14

Thanks for all the help. I found your posts from last year regarding the systematic process of troubleshooting and will be working through that process when I get home in a couple days.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
First step in problem solving is determining the problem. Throwing parts at things is rarely effective unless you've identified the problem. The "circuit" board seems to be working as it's sparking when the heater is turned on -- you did verify this, right? You're not fast enough to throw the switch and run outside. Hard to see in daylight but the little sparks are bright enough at night.

-- Chuck
That does not mean there isn't something else wrong with the control board. Use a multimeter to check for 12+ volts at the gas valve while a helper turns the wh on. If you have voltage then disconnect a wire from the valve and get an ohm reading. Gas valve should be 30 to 50 ohms. Do not poke anything in the jet. Use compressed air, preferably a air compressor. When LP gas goes through the cold metal of the supply tube and jet it has a tendency to deposit a white paraffin on the jet nozzle. The jet only gets warm after the burner has firing for a while, it does not get hot enough to burn the paraffin off.
Service manual attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban WH Service Manual 05-18-11.pdf (2.78 MB, 58 views)
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #16

Il will be spending some quality time this weekend getting to know the hot water heater on my trailer MUCH better!
Old 06-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #17

First check at the campsite indicates no spark anymore.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #18

Hard to see in daylight. See if you can light it with a long match.

-- Chuck
Old 06-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post

-- Chuck
When I had same issue I was actually getting "spark", it was trying to fire. Upon inspection of circuit board there was a burn mark on it. I also tried the lighting the burner with a lighter, it fired for a few seconds and then quit.
Lots of different variables in trying to diagnose these things.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #20

So, when I got home this afternoon, I decided that I would start working through wmtire's troubleshooting manual from 2018. First step, get cool water in the hot water tank. So, I hooked up to city water, opened the outdoor shower's hot water and let it run for a while. I came back about 10 minutes later, and lo and behold, the propane is firing in the hot water heater! I feel very foolish... you have all been great trying to help me out, and I truly appreciate it. What I can't figure out is why the propane never fired up when we were camping for 4 days! I had hot water from the electric element, so we weren't lacking. I guess I won't complain since things appear to be working properly. I have printed out the troubleshooting guide and will keep that in my binder for the trailer, so that may end up being helpful in the future. Thanks again for everyone's guidance and suggestions...

Tags
suburban