Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #21
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
They did tell me PDI would take several hours. Said they would do it in a garage bay because it would most likely be too cold outside.

Did anyone video record their PDI? I heard that was helpful to review later on especially the first few trips.

WRT our first outing, we have a campground less than a mile up the road. Thought we'd try that since home and WalMart are both nearby.
A good PDI will take a couple of hours. Both you and DW should attend, and ask questions about anything you don't understand. The only stupid question is the one that didn't get asked. When going through, both of you take turns operating everything. You will get a stack of manuals for all the equipment. Use the back cover of each manual to take notes. Ask the tech to show you the water heater by-pass valves for winterization. Ensure you know where everything is located. This may seem anal, but this forum is loaded with questions from owner's:
They left the lot not knowing...

1. What is this switch for?
2. What does DSI mean?
3. Where are my water heater by-pass valves?
4. Is my water heater gas and/or electric?
5. Why is the A/C fan blowing when the furnace is on?
6. HELP! Slide motor quit at CG. How do I get the slide back in?
7. HELP! Tongue jack motor quit at CG. How do I raise/lower it manually?
8. What is the button and LED on the television connector for?

Knowing your RV will save you a lot of aggravation that could easily ruin your outing. If you run into something that stumps you, there's always this forum to search for an answer or help. Your list of items looks like you're off to a good start. As far as TP, any two-ply tissue will work as long as it's not the quilted variety. Chemicals?, WALMART carries a variety that are decently priced. Far be it for me to dictate what you prefer.

Good luck with your new RV!
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Does it cost anymore to have on built compared with a equally equipped one the dealer already has?

Here was my experience... I made 3 visits to this dealer. They told me ordering vice buying off the lot was no worry for them and no added cost. They claim to sell at rock bottom and care about making their money after the sale from service, repairs, parts, etc. I went to other locals and online and could not get a better price.

We wanted options such as the 15K A/C, free standing table/chairs and a Hide a bed as well as other options which the 3 units on the lot did not have all of these options in one unit.

Lot unit #1
Price: $31,416.35
Sale Price: $22,367.00
28.8% of MSRP

Lot unit #2
Price: $31,561.35
Sale Price: $22,367.00
29.1% of MSRP

Lot unit #3
Price: $34,689.05
Sale Price: $22,387.00
35.46% of MSRP

This was a Hershey show unit which thousands of people probably walked through. When we walked around it we noticed some things that needed to be fixed. Probably why the price was so attractive.

My Ordered Unit.
Price: $33,784
Sale Price: $23,700
29.85% of MSRP

An equalizer WDH installed, 6% tax and $232 for license/ Registration and I was out the door for $26,202.

The only thing I could negotiate was the freight. They would not budge on anything else. Freight cut from $1,200 to $641 because they thought they could order 2 and have them delivered on the same flat bed.

Some will say I paid too much. Maybe so. I did not sleep well for a few nights after we ordered, but I feel ok with it now.

Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 PM   #23

If you are getting what you want and are happy with the deal and dealer that`s all that matters, not what deal others got or what they think. Enjoy the new trailer...
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #24
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
Does it cost anymore to have on built compared with a equally equipped one the dealer already has?
We have done 2 factory orders in our time, from 2 separate dealers. In both cases the factory order was the same price as taking one from their lot. They just charged us for any upgrades that we made, such as going to a 15,000btu air cond unit as opposed to the 13,500 btu that the one on the lot had. In both cases we were not in a rush to get the unit as they were ordered about this time of year for a early spring delivery. By doing a factory order we got to choose our colours of upholstery and wood finish.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #25

Congrats (ahead of time) on your new Roo!!!
2019 Days Camped: 5, but many more planned!
Maman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Here was my experience... I made 3 visits to this dealer. They told me ordering vice buying off the lot was no worry for them and no added cost. They claim to sell at rock bottom and care about making their money after the sale from service, repairs, parts, etc. I went to other locals and online and could not get a better price.

My Ordered Unit.
Price: $33,784
Sale Price: $23,700
29.85% of MSRP

The only thing I could negotiate was the freight. They would not budge on anything else. Freight cut from $1,200 to $641 because they thought they could order 2 and have them delivered on the same flat bed.

Some will say I paid too much. Maybe so. I did not sleep well for a few nights after we ordered, but I feel ok with it now.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You shopped around and bought from a dealer you are comfortable with - and you got exactly what you wanted as far as options.

That MSRP is an eye opener. Although MSRP is kind of a made up number that varies from dealer to dealer - almost 34K for an IKSS!?! When we bought ours they listed that at about 29. Got it out the door with the wdh, 2 batteries, ready to go for 22K even. That was almost 4 years ago and they have made some nice upgrades since then.

Interesting that they think the trailer can be delivered on a flat bed. Maybe, but 9'6" tall it would have to be low trailer.

We bought ours off the lot and it still drives me nuts every night that we didn't get the night shades. The goofy curtains are big PIA to open and close. Ordering is worth it to get the options you want.

There is always going to be somebody who got a better deal (especially on the internet) but if you got a fair deal I don't see any value in worrying about whether you squeezed every last dollar out of the deal.

Enjoy the new Roo!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. You shopped around and bought from a dealer you are comfortable with - and you got exactly what you wanted as far as options.

That MSRP is an eye opener. Although MSRP is kind of a made up number that varies from dealer to dealer - almost 34K for an IKSS!?! When we bought ours they listed that at about 29. Got it out the door with the wdh, 2 batteries, ready to go for 22K even. That was almost 4 years ago and they have made some nice upgrades since then.

Interesting that they think the trailer can be delivered on a flat bed. Maybe, but 9'6" tall it would have to be low trailer.

We bought ours off the lot and it still drives me nuts every night that we didn't get the night shades. The goofy curtains are big PIA to open and close. Ordering is worth it to get the options you want.

There is always going to be somebody who got a better deal (especially on the internet) but if you got a fair deal I don't see any value in worrying about whether you squeezed every last dollar out of the deal.

Enjoy the new Roo!
I saw THREE Mini-Lites on a flatbed heading north out of Chicago towards Wisconsin on I-90 today.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I saw THREE Mini-Lites on a flatbed heading north out of Chicago towards Wisconsin on I-90 today.
I've seen that before also on the PA Turnpike. When I am working where I have to use that road I see transporters almost daily. I have also seen flatbed trucks that can haul 2 small Roo's while towing a larger one behind.

Ron045, do yourself a favor. Do not just show up at the dealer on PDI day. Call the dealer (I see you're in PA but you do not mention who the dealer is) and request to inspect the unit after it arrives prior to PDI / purchasing day. Believe me you want to do that. Take a stepladder so you can inspect the roof and a tarp so you can inspect underneath unless they'll pull it inside for you. Don't let them give you any BS that a ladder is against the insurance regulations. You want to inspect an ordered unit taking your time even if its not prepped by the dealer yet or they can not provide water to test those systems. If you're not really familiar with these, take someone that is. I'm not going to post my experience with an ordered Roo again, but if you want to hear it PM me.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #29

Got a call from the dealer this evening. The camper is finished being built and arrived at the dealer today. They did better than their estimates. We placed the order on 12/12/16. They told us it would not be built for 6 to 8 weeks and then there was a two week black hole from factory to dealer that they have no control over. I guess they were preparing me for the worst.

We'll probably do PDI next week. The bank is sending ME the check. The dealer mentioned something about the bank sending the check direct to them. I want to hold that check until AFTER PDI. Is that how everyone else has done it?

We're all pretty excited tonight. The kids are already picking places to visit.
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Got a call from the dealer this evening. The camper is finished being built and arrived at the dealer today. They did better than their estimates. We placed the order on 12/12/16. They told us it would not be built for 6 to 8 weeks and then there was a two week black hole from factory to dealer that they have no control over. I guess they were preparing me for the worst.

We'll probably do PDI next week. The bank is sending ME the check. The dealer mentioned something about the bank sending the check direct to them. I want to hold that check until AFTER PDI. Is that how everyone else has done it?

We're all pretty excited tonight. The kids are already picking places to visit.
Ron
Absolutely.......Do not give them the check until you're satisfied. And if you're not satisfied do not be afraid to walk away which is not easy to do, especially when you order and wait on it. I turned one down last year which was a complete cob from the factory and made them order another from the factory. It took me about 6 months total but in hindsight I am glad I rejected the first one.

Personally I would demand being allowed to do a full inspection prior to the PDI at my leisure and I would bring a ladder. I would not stand for any of the
"its against our policy or insurance regs garbage".
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:58 AM   #31

First check out the trailer for the right equipment, set up a delivery date, go through a complete PDI including hooking it up to the car or truck and when you are comfortable that you are ready to drive it away comfortable in the thought that everything is just as you planned it to be, then and only then do the paperwork and sign over the check. It's much easier to get things straight when you hold the trump card.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper