Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2023, 08:56 PM   #1

Third Trip Completed

I read many negatives on the Roo line prior to purchasing one. Even the sales person told me they weren't that great. I was VERY worried about the mattress and temperature within the RV.

After three trips I can say I dont mind sleeping on the mattress at all. And so far have had no issues with temperature.

The only issue I have with the Roo model are the cheap and flimsy latches on the bunk ends. The locks and handles are so flimsy I feel as if they are going to break when attempting to use them. Everything else is good so far.

Two more trips booked. One week in June and one week in October.
Keeth1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 09:47 PM   #2

It's nice to hear that you like your Roo and have had successful trips with it. Safe journeys in the future.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:23 AM   #3

Totally understand the worry with the bunk door latches, they do seem fragile. We have a 2016 Shamrock with these latches - while they have not broken, we have had a metal pin pop out. And the latch does not work without that pin. we would find it on the ground and put it back in - until one time we could not find it and a screw we had managed to "fix" it... we eventually had the dealer replace that latch.
we have had our hybrid 7 seasons... no regrets at all.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeth1123 View Post
I read many negatives on the Roo line prior to purchasing one. Even the sales person told me they weren't that great. I was VERY worried about the mattress and temperature within the RV.
... and yet at a recent show a salesman related he'd had a guy from across the country buy a used one from them because he could not find one he wanted locally. Bought it after a video tour and Q&A, then paid someone to drive over and pick it up for him.

Its probably a cult following sort of thing.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:02 AM   #5

We loved and used the crap out of our 2015 Shamrock, and our Daughter an SIL continue to enjoy it.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:06 AM   #6

the Roo and the sister Shamrock which I have are some of the least expensive travel trailers avaialable and as a salesman I would want to sell anything else more expensive... the latches are sturdy enough to HOLD the door closed as mine has done since the spring of 2014... YES I did have a pin fall out and replaced it with a 10 cent screw obtained at a hardware store during a trip... look up Roto-Vise adjustment on youtube and make sure yours are adjusted properly and they should last

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:23 AM   #7

I think a lot of the naysayers are those who simply don't like the product, or are somehow unwilling to see the design for its advantages. For some of us, the hybrid layout is ideal. For salesmen who are trying to offer products that appeal to the widest audience possible, the hybrid is more often a challenge.

Likewise, I don't know about "least expensive" - the TT price field is awfully wide, and the Roo line isn't at the bottom any more. Nicely equipped, with a lot of upgrades over other manufacturers, and a MSRP price that seems in line - if not above - other offerings in the same size category.

But there are those who purposefully seek out a hybrid, and see the design for the advantages it offers (eg, w absolutely love our 235). Sure, the hybrid design has some "shortcomings" (noise being a big one if you're in a place that you need to retreat from noise), but the design or sleeping under canvas also supports some of the great joys, too. Likewise, if you were to trade the bunk ends for sleeping real estate, you'd solve for canvas and storage space, but would also pick up a host of challenges that would come with a longer/heavier TT (maybe the popup gang feels similarly).

Everything is a balancing act. You have to decide what you want and compare it against the list of what you are willing to live with. Finally, you need to scrub that against the actual experience. We have friends who bought at the same time we did, and went to Grand Design (solid, not a hybrid - similar size, similar product, differently executed). They have been over several times and marveled at our layout, how many upgrades, how much room etc.

A topper will solve mattress woes, and there are ways to add insulating power that don't break the bank. The new edge closure device looks to work a treat, but I am sure the latches are the same/similar and flimsy feeling (being mostly plastic). We're entering our third season, and the latches still continue to work well (even if they feel a little light to the hand). I'd suggest that if you are getting a compression of the seal around the bunk end, you're okay (no matter how the handle feels).

In short, I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying your hybrid. When you're in camp and are the only hybrid, you get to field some interesting questions, When there's another hybrid (or two/three) around, you have someone to knowingly nod to. They get it, too.

Happy camping!
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #8

I love my 2022 Roo 235S. It is practically perfect in every way!
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
deano55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
I think a lot of the naysayers are those who simply don't like the product, or are somehow unwilling to see the design for its advantages. For some of us, the hybrid layout is ideal. For salesmen who are trying to offer products that appeal to the widest audience possible, the hybrid is more often a challenge.

Likewise, I don't know about "least expensive" - the TT price field is awfully wide, and the Roo line isn't at the bottom any more. Nicely equipped, with a lot of upgrades over other manufacturers, and a MSRP price that seems in line - if not above - other offerings in the same size category.

But there are those who purposefully seek out a hybrid, and see the design for the advantages it offers (eg, w absolutely love our 235). Sure, the hybrid design has some "shortcomings" (noise being a big one if you're in a place that you need to retreat from noise), but the design or sleeping under canvas also supports some of the great joys, too. Likewise, if you were to trade the bunk ends for sleeping real estate, you'd solve for canvas and storage space, but would also pick up a host of challenges that would come with a longer/heavier TT (maybe the popup gang feels similarly).

Everything is a balancing act. You have to decide what you want and compare it against the list of what you are willing to live with. Finally, you need to scrub that against the actual experience. We have friends who bought at the same time we did, and went to Grand Design (solid, not a hybrid - similar size, similar product, differently executed). They have been over several times and marveled at our layout, how many upgrades, how much room etc.

A topper will solve mattress woes, and there are ways to add insulating power that don't break the bank. The new edge closure device looks to work a treat, but I am sure the latches are the same/similar and flimsy feeling (being mostly plastic). We're entering our third season, and the latches still continue to work well (even if they feel a little light to the hand). I'd suggest that if you are getting a compression of the seal around the bunk end, you're okay (no matter how the handle feels).

In short, I'm really glad to hear you're enjoying your hybrid. When you're in camp and are the only hybrid, you get to field some interesting questions, When there's another hybrid (or two/three) around, you have someone to knowingly nod to. They get it, too.

Happy camping!

I have noticed there are not many of these when we go camping. I got to sleep in the rain and see what all the hype was about. It was somewhat relaxing. My wife enjoys waking up and hearing the birds. I never put a topper on the bed. It sleeps good enough for me

Trips booked for the rest of the year

June - Ga trip

August - beach trip

September - Mountain Trip

October - Blue Ridge

December - to be determined
Old 03-16-2023, 05:01 PM   #10

Any suggestions for a December trip. Looking for a good place to see Christmas lights and Christmas activities.
Old 03-16-2023, 06:29 PM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeth1123 View Post
Any suggestions for a December trip. Looking for a good place to see Christmas lights and Christmas activities.
Try Charleston S.C.
It always garners a crowd when they hold FROG Rallies down there.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:30 AM   #12

Not sure about Christmas activities and lights, but for the past couple of years my wife and I have traveled to Meaher State Park (just outside Mobile) for a December trip. They offer full hookup sites and there is plenty to see and do in the area. Just down the road from the park is "The Original Oyster House". They offer great seafood at fair prices. During our week of camping, we usually hit them at least 3 times :-) .
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote