Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #1

Time delay for ac unit.

Has anyone put a on demand timed relay on their ac units to turn either the fan on or the condenser on first before the other. Just trying to help my gen start up the ac unit without the big hit of wattage?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
l24x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #2

This thread might give you some info: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...a-c-64588.html
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
win

Try your thermostat control
Set it on fan for startup and then switch to cool
Or get a bigger genny
3000 watts or bigger recommended IMO
win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by win View Post
Try your thermostat control
Set it on fan for startup and then switch to cool
Or get a bigger genny
3000 watts or bigger recommended IMO
That only works on initial start up.
Unless you leave fan on run position and not auto.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mod-20541.html
Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Thank you,that is what I'm looking for. I have a 3500 watt running gen. My old one ran my tv,playstation to watch movies on,charged battery's,refrig,all the lights I could throw at it!! Sold it to buy a remote start gen of the same size and brand and it would fall flat on its face with just the ac!! Had it load tested and would not put out 3000 watts= bad gen. It happens. Called company and the customer service was phenomenal. I now have a new generator, 25 foot generator extension cord with three plugs on it, wheel kit, and a new generator cover coming for free!!! All because of my troubles.and they are paying shipping for the bad gen to go back. Wow. Feels like it hit the lotto.Just wanted to ease the hit my gen was taken. Thanks you all for your help.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Broken Toe

Why not leave the fan on all the time? That way you keep the air circulated, and you never run the risk of starting up both at the same time?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Why not leave the fan on all the time? That way you keep the air circulated, and you never run the risk of starting up both at the same time?

Tim
Tim,
The whole reason for the mod is for generator use.
Those that have a gennie with eco mode are able to ramp down the gennie for times when the a/c has cooled the unit when the a/c and fan shut off then the gennie will return to idle.
True you COULD leave the fan on and do the same however, the a/c pump draws way more amps then the fans.
So if the fans are already on its a bigger hit on the gennie then if the compressor starts first then the fans.

Make sense?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

It does make a little sense,but with a gen running and at 3.50 plus a gallon of gas,I would rather spend 13 bucks and a little of my time to delay the fan or compressor to save my gen from working so hard at start up,plus maybe save a little bit of surge on other things running already. Please don't take this the wrong way,but do u leave the lights on in your house when you leave? Or let your car idle all night in the winter? Might not be a good comparison but I think you know what I mean. Plus why do it? Because we can. And modding things is way cooler then stock!!