Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #41

Agreed trailblazer can tow it but not safely I did the same thing, we went and got a 2013 silverado ext tows with no problem and much safer
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #42

HI, I don't know much about towing (Im the wife) but we use my Explorer V6 Eddie Bauer to tow the Roo 233 (GVW is 5400) and the Exp is rated for 7000 i think. Anyway, my point is, yes the V6 works fine, but I wish I got a vehicle with a larger engine because I want a heavier trailer now! So go with the V8 for when you decide to get a bigger trailer you won't need a bigger truck too!
TheCooksinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #43

I found out long ago the right question to ask a dealer is if a vehicle can tow a trailer, not pull it. Big difference.
Dvigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCooksinCT View Post
HI, I don't know much about towing (Im the wife) but we use my Explorer V6 Eddie Bauer to tow the Roo 233 (GVW is 5400) and the Exp is rated for 7000 i think. Anyway, my point is, yes the V6 works fine, but I wish I got a vehicle with a larger engine because I want a heavier trailer now! So go with the V8 for when you decide to get a bigger trailer you won't need a bigger truck too!
You're incorrect on the 7000 number.
The max towing amount for a v-6 Exploder, is 5500lbs, if it has the factory tow package.

That 7000 number would be for the v-8 version.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #45

I just posted this on another thread, but here it is again, because I don't think it can be said often enough!!!!

Quote:
"A suburban can tow 7,000 pounds and this camper is under that, therefore it must be OK."
Just to put this statement in perspective, my 2009 Silverado Owners Manual lists 99 (that's NINETY NINE!!) different Maximum Trailer Weights for the 1500 based on all the different permutations of engine size, bed size, 2WD or 4WD, axle ratio, bed length, supplemental cooling, trailering package, and transmission. It takes up 7 pages of the manual. These Maximum Trailer Weights range from a low of 4,400 lbs to a high of 13,000 lbs. There are 10 additional listings for the 2500 and 10 for the 3500.

If you salesman has any scruples at all, he SHOULD be pulling out the owners manual and telling you "this specific model here on the showroom floor can pull XXXX lbs" OR he should be asking you how much want to pull, then pull out the owners manual and order you whatever is required to pull your weight (because 10 to 1, he won't have one on the lot!)
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #46

Hello everyone!! This is a hot topic and should be. Your families safety is at stake. Yes most of these V6 SUV's can tow but really how much can they tow safely. The total TOWING weight( TOTAL WEIGHT OF SUV AND TRAILER) for our Trailblazer was 10500. We took it to a weigh station with the 23SS Roo and it weighed in at 10200. Great I'm within the limits. WRONG! Oh forgot the dogs, bikes, the ice chest etc. when adding SUV weight, are we going to put anything in the trailer when we go camping? Probably!! This all adds up to that total weight. Now I'm over the weight limit. Also your SUV's wheelbase = STABILITY is very important, Your rear end axle ratio is huge when it comes to towing. I did allot of research and asking questions about towing and like I said in my earlier blog ONE white knuckle experience was ONE too much for me. Oh one more thing Trailblazers used to come with a V8, guess what, it actually had a lesser total weight capacity than the V6.
Do your homework and have safe camping.
Manzie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #47

I can tell you towing our 233s with our 05 trailblazer was scary, two labs two adults 3 kids all camping gear two bikes water full tank of gas and misc items. Yes it towed it well if you stayed off the highway but wasn't meant for that much weight or resistance. SUV suspensions have a ton of bounce also they are not set up like trucks. I believe I did read somewhere that some owners manuals will tell you that the towing capacity of the vehicle are flat loaded meaning no wind resistance, overall not a good idea to tow 233 with a trailblazer, you can try but it's just not safe :/
Old 07-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzie49 View Post
Hello everyone!! This is a hot topic and should be. Your families safety is at stake. Yes most of these V6 SUV's can tow but really how much can they tow safely. The total TOWING weight( TOTAL WEIGHT OF SUV AND TRAILER) for our Trailblazer was 10500. We took it to a weigh station with the 23SS Roo and it weighed in at 10200. Great I'm within the limits. WRONG! Oh forgot the dogs, bikes, the ice chest etc. when adding SUV weight, are we going to put anything in the trailer when we go camping? Probably!! This all adds up to that total weight. Now I'm over the weight limit. Also your SUV's wheelbase = STABILITY is very important, Your rear end axle ratio is huge when it comes to towing. I did allot of research and asking questions about towing and like I said in my earlier blog ONE white knuckle experience was ONE too much for me. Oh one more thing Trailblazers used to come with a V8, guess what, it actually had a lesser total weight capacity than the V6.
Do your homework and have safe camping.
Wheelbase is extremely important , trailblazers are so short they wag like a dog towing something so heavy and fairly long, not much wheelbase to eat that up.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #49
Rockwood 23ss men falls

I just got back from our trip to Washington DC with our 23ss Roo and Ford 150 5.0 L supercrew and it was perfect match. The longer wheelbase matched the size of trailer and it's load. I drove through 50-60mph thunderstorm winds, long mountain inclines and decent, heavy traffic and wind buffeting from trucks without any "white" knuckles. The Roo was hardly noticed. The tow package on the 150 was great when I had it in tow/haul mode with engine braking and sway control. I had a stablizing/load level hitch as well. This was ideal.
jaws2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #50

Yes a f150 would work great but a trailblazer not so much lol
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #51

OOPS!! hope not everyone is thinking we are still using the Trailblazer. We have a 2013 Sierra Crew with everything needed to tow our 23SS. I just can't tell you how much more I'm relaxed, and the trips going and getting back are no longer WHITE KNUCKLE RIDES. Just do your homework and ask questions when it comes to your safety there are no stupid questions. We gone this weekend Warren Dunes State Park in Michigan.
Manzie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzie49 View Post
OOPS!! hope not everyone is thinking we are still using the Trailblazer. We have a 2013 Sierra Crew with everything needed to tow our 23SS. I just can't tell you how much more I'm relaxed, and the trips going and getting back are no longer WHITE KNUCKLE RIDES. Just do your homework and ask questions when it comes to your safety there are no stupid questions. We gone this weekend Warren Dunes State Park in Michigan.
You have a good combination -enjoy.

I recently read an an ad from a local online swap shop, similar to Craigslist. The guy was offering the rental of his 2013 233S dailly, weekly ect and he actually says in the ad "can be towed with small SUV".... kind of scary.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote