Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #21

I had this happen to my pop-up at a campground after redoing my power cable and cleaning up some wiring. I of course assumed it was something I had done wrong and started ripping into all my wiring. After a while I found by getting shocked yet again that the pedestal was hot even if nothing was plugged in. Told the campground owner and got a volt meter and confirmed that the ground was hot.... 2 years later still that way and every year he just says to plug into the neighboring sites box.

Now every site I go to before I do anything I plug my 30amp Camco power defender in that I bought to verify the wiring is right.

dan4jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout3351 View Post
My "Hot Skin" experience was the result of using an extension cord with the ground prong missing.
Although not an electrician, I believe not having a ground wire would not cause "Hot Skin", it just gives the electricity a place to go. In other words, there is still an issue that needs to be fixed, using an extension cord with a ground wire is causing the ground to be energized instead of the frame of the camper.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #23

I am definitely not an electrician either, but that's the only change I made at a friends suggestion and no more tingling. It's been over a year now and so far so good. I'm just happy it's gone, it was a very unpleasant feeling.
scout3351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
I am definitely not an electrician either, but that's the only change I made at a friends suggestion and no more tingling. It's been over a year now and so far so good. I'm just happy it's gone, it was a very unpleasant feeling.
That is correct scout3351. Mike Sokol explains in detail how the compromised ground is the problem (which you definitely had with a missing ground in your extension cord)...and how about everything plugged into your AC power in your RV has a small varying amount of leakage to the ground. Since your RV basically works like a subpanel, then the ground and neutral are not bonded together. The only way the RV can get ground is all the way back at the main panel/camp pedestal. If you are missing a ground in your power cord/extension cord, etc...then you have no ground to the RV.

I really recommend to everyone reading this to get his book or print it all off from his N0-Shock-Zone site. The more people that educate themselves on this matter, the more the word can spread. Mike really goes above and beyond trying to help everyone on this subject.

Are “Little” Shocks OK? | No~Shock~Zone

http://noshockzone.org/kindle-ebook-now-available/

Here is an excerpt from Mike:

An RV chassis and skin with ANY significant voltage above earth potential (2 volts is max) is proof that you’ve lost your RV’s safety ground connection. Now, by itself an open ground connection won’t cause an RV hot-skin voltage condition, but nearly anything inside your RV plugged into its electrical system will cause some leakage current to the RV chassis-ground. And that leakage will show up as a hot-skin voltage of varying degree. The really dangerous thing is that sometimes those can be high-impedance leakage currents that aren’t particularly dangerous. And that’s when you feel a “little” shock. However, that same “little” current can quickly become low-impedance/high-current leakage in a heartbeat, and that will almost certainly kill you if you touch the RV with wet hands and feet. It’s just a matter of degree, and you never know what that degree is. So any feeling of shocks from your RV or appliance is a warning to turn off the circuit breakers and disconnect the power plug immediately.

If you do have a proper RV safety ground back to the service panel, then it should be impossible to develop more than 1 or 2 volts on your RV skin. It will harmlessly drain away the small currents from normal high-impedance appliance leakage, as well as trip the circuit breaker form huge currents that result from abnormal low-impedance leakage, such as a screw driven through a wire inside your wall.

So if you measure more than 2 volts between the earth and the chassis of your RV there’s a serious problem with your safety ground. This is usually as simple as a broken or loose ground contact on your extension cord or dog-bone adapter, but can also be due to a problem in your campsite pedestal or home power outlet. Old garages are especially dangerous since they can be ungrounded for years without you knowing it, and the first time you plug an RV into it there can be a deadly hot-skin condition. And certainly a worn RV pedestal outlet can have corrosion or loose contacts, and that can cause an RV hot-skin condition.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #25
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Even though you don't feel it now that you have an extension cord with a ground prong, you still have a hot skin condition. It's just that the ground has a lower resistance to the current than you do, so it is going through the ground prong instead of you. Just wait until it's raining and everything is wet.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 PM   #26

That's why I have a Progressive EMS. It's the first thing plugged in, miss wired post/house power, won't be a shocking experience - the Progressive EMS stops power and gives fault reading.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #27
jkoenig24

Check with Mike Sokol but, if I'm not mistaken, a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground (RPBG) situation will NOT be handled by ANY Electrical Management System (EMS) regardless of how expensive it is. According to MR Sokol, the lowly Non-Contact Voltage Tester is the ONLY piece of electrical gear that shows the RPBG condition.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoenig24 View Post
Check with Mike Sokol but, if I'm not mistaken, a Reverse Polarity Bootleg Ground (RPBG) situation will NOT be handled by ANY Electrical Management System (EMS) regardless of how expensive it is. According to MR Sokol, the lowly Non-Contact Voltage Tester is the ONLY piece of electrical gear that shows the RPBG condition.
That is true. I have a Progressive Industries EMS and had a Hot Skin condition without the EMS shutting down or showing an error.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #29

I have the plug-in 30A surge guard & while it does not protect from reversed polarity, it does indicate the problem. I always plug it in before I do anything else just to make sure all is well.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:46 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa GLS View Post
I have the plug-in 30A surge guard & while it does not protect from reversed polarity, it does indicate the problem. I always plug it in before I do anything else just to make sure all is well.
Reverse polarity is not the same as hot skin and will not (by itself) electrify the frame of the camper. As I mentioned earlier- I was using an EMS and it did not indicate any issue while I had a Hot Skin condition. I just want to make sure everyone is safe and does not have a false sense of security just because they are using an EMS.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Reverse polarity is not the same as hot skin and will not (by itself) electrify the frame of the camper. As I mentioned earlier- I was using an EMS and it did not indicate any issue while I had a Hot Skin condition. I just want to make sure everyone is safe and does not have a false sense of security just because they are using an EMS.
Understood wharfrat. Just used that as an example. It also indicates open ground & open neutral. I plug this in before I even unhook my TT to be sure everything is OK. With this I do not need to plug my RV in to test, just the surge guard. If everything is good, then I feel I can safely plug in my TT.
I too am very concerned about everyone's safety.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, frame