Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #41
Canadian Member

We bought our '10 23SS this past March. We're towing it with an '08 Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4 TRD and using a 1000# Equal-i-zer hitch. The Tacoma is rated at 6500#. I've done a lot of calculations to make sure we are within specs and have a 10% safety factor but I still have to get to a weigh scale to verify the numbers. Based on "feel" only, it tows fine but not with oodles of power leftover.

We have no plans to haul through any mountains so we're fine with this setup - for now anyway. We'll see if I change my mind after a season of towing it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #42
Site Team

you'll easily be in the 5500lbs. range loaded.
so, subtracting what's in the Tacoma from the the 6500 number might be getting you close to max.
but if you aren't in the mountains, then you'll probably be fine but it's good you have a great WDH with built-in sway control with your shorter wheelbase.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #43

Hi everyone! Me and my girlfriend just got our 2012 23ss this tuesday. Had it parked on my front lawn for now and haven't had a chance to go camping yet. However had an issue with power lines for our house and had no power so we got to break in the "Roo" lol. Either way I am towing my "Roo" with an 07 silverado extended cab. When it comes to towing you need to know more than what most people are posting here for you. They are right, however I believe a little under informing. When you are picking a new towing vehicle you need to look at rear end gear ratio, cab size and engine size. And in general what type of truck your getting. 1500, 2500, or so forth. To my point my truck is capable of towing 7500 pounds. Its an 07 extended cab silverado Z71 model. In Canada things might be different but you new to consider exactly what others were telling you. Your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating: the safe and recommended weight you dont want to exceed on your towing vegicle) and GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight: in Canada we have a limit as to what we can pull in a combined weight and this is measured by the max loaded GVWR of the trailer and vehicle). Now once you understand your GVWR of you vehicle you need to weigh the front axle and back axle of your vehicle. On your door panel you will find the safe weight rating to have on your rear or front axle. When I weighed my truck I was still able to put 800lbs on my front axle and 1500 on my rear with just me in the truck and a full tank. I understand this may be an overload of information. Now you know that you can put a total of 1500lbs on the rear end of my truck. My trailer has a dry hitch weight of 460lbs so it leaves me with about 1000lbs still on the rear and maybe 750lbs on the front. Now you have gotten an WDH and with that you can transfer some of the loaded weight to the front of your vehicle and balance things out. Thus my WDH rated for 5-800lbs on the hitch and 8000lbs towing is distributing the weight more forward on my truck and back on the trailer. I have a motorcycle which I haul in the box of my truck as well and it's about 700lbs wet. As I said others have been giving you right information about remembering who all is riding in your vehicle and the extra weight in the trailer that may be adding to your hitch weight. I should still be well under my GVWR on my truck after I have my girlfriend, myself, the two dogs and motorcycle loaded in the truck and the camper ready to go. Sorry for the novel guys but I hope this explains things for some who are unsure of some details!
Darnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #44

Just money, liked the 3 bunk 23ss but with the couch air mattress we thought we'd be fine. Actually traded in a trail runner 26fqb I think it was for the hybrid mainly for the slide out.
Old Army is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss