Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

unable to find source of leak 21dk

Hello
I purchased a 2012 21dk back in December. Have been having leak issues. Placed the pvc guards over top of the top seal and the water issue at the back of the camper ceased. Now the problem is with the front bed end. Basically, water has been collecting at the fabric piece that fills the gap between the bed end and the camper. Water has collected here to the point of getting the wood flat piece between the bed and the dinette so wet that the entire top of it has delaminated. Today had my neighbor come over and give the camper a spraying from above with a hose, in an attempt to see where the leak was coming from. The result was this: there was no noticeable water leaking in from top, sides, or bottom. We then turned the hose off and let the water drip dry on the outside. We then opened the camper and there was water on the R side of the fabric between the bed end and camper. So i thought maybe the bottom seal (which can't be seen unless you go outside and partially lift the bed end) is bad. However, the bottom of this fabric is a vinyl feel, and it was bone dry, no water anywhere near seal, hand was dry when I put it in to feel around and dry when I brought it out. So, this fabric piece somehow got wet, but not from the bed end. I was almost hoping for a bed end seal leak, that way I knew what the problem was. I have put some pics in here of the problem, anyone have any insight?!?!?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-21 19.14.03.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	71893   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-21 19.14.16.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	71894   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-21 19.14.20.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	71896   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-21 19.14.36.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	71898  
bdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Leaks are so frustrating it will drive you nuts. The thing about water is damage will show up in an area but the leak is no where near the damage. Been there, done that. Based on your pics I would think your leak is coming from the bunk end seals. You guys had a good bit of snow this year if I'm not mistaken and when snow melts its a slow process. That said you could have had just a slow drip that would build up over time. Something you wouldn't see by spraying water on the outside. Look at your seals. Are they dirty? Mine got very dirty and moldy. Are the seals compressed? the camper is 3 years old and these are something that should be replaced over time. I have read where Forest River will send you the new seals. Hybrids are awesome trailers. They do however require vigilance and maintenance you don't see on a conventional Travel Trailer. Take a look at those seals. If ANYTHING gets in those seals, dust, dirt, Anything will cause a leak. Wipe them down before you close it. That will go a long way toward preventing leaks. I'm sorry your having this issue and I hope you find a solution and can enjoy your camper.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Team

bdeals, that's why I recommended having a pressure test don, in your other thread.
it only costs around $100 and it will show possible leaks throughout the trailer.

Squirting water on it isn't as effective.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #4

By your pictures, you have multiple common leaks with the hybrids... First, put the bunk up and go look at the door outside. Based on the pictures, your caulking is shot around the aluminum edge and the composite panel. That needs to be redone. I would also suspect you stored nose high, but you have to store nose low. Next, it is pretty likely that when your bunk door is closed, the center at the top isn't sealing as tightly as it needs to.

It is very frustrating when you find it so distressed, but all should be repairable. Don't concern yourself with the cabinet deck, but get into the cabinet and check the floor because the vinyl floor ends there and water might be infiltrating.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Just curious...why store nose low?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
Just curious...why store nose low?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
The front bunk is raked. If you store nose high, water than does enter around seals will accumulate and jump the inside curb before draining out the front. FR hybrid, always nose slightly low.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

This could also be the marker light above the bunk. Water has a weird way of getting in one place and showing up else where.
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
that's why I recommended having a pressure test don, in your other thread.
it only costs around $100 and it will show possible leaks throughout the trailer.
bikendan...

Would a pressure test even work on a hybrid with three bunks? I does not seem like the bunk seals would hold any pressure inside and I would think they would all leak pressure out to some extent.

Exhaust low pressure via the two fans to help close the ends is another matter...

just wondering...
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #9

Picked up my 233s from FR last week...in for wall replacement from an accident. I asked that all bunks be tested for leaks while they had it. I was told the unit was pressure tested and they showed me the machine they use. FR said unit tested ok...assuming a test in three bunk unit is doable...at least I hope it is . We'll see soon if tests were correct.

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

Guys where do I take to have a pressure test done? And with the bed end middle being warped out, the garden hose should have allowed water in on this. What do you guys recommend as far as caulk goes? Also have been storing fairly level. Will point nose down? Anyone else have these same problems with water right at that piece of fabric? I've seen people post pics of water there...just can't seem to get ahold of said people! I appreciate all the input. I have 3 weeks of grad school left, then will be able to pay more attention to this. Thanks all!
bdeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #11

Caulking = Proflex RV sealant.

Positive pressure test = go to SealTech's website and look to see if they have someone local to you.

Finally, the garden hose would not have necessarily identified the leak. This is because ambient conditions effect seal size so it could open up more in the cold for instance. Also, we engineers have shown that a hose cannot mimic rain very well, and it's why we build rain booths for testing!

You'll get this sorted and be a happy camper again! Hit those books!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM   #12

Pressure test dealers link below...

SealTech Manufacturing USA | Industry Standard for RV Leak Detection
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak