Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 95
Water FIlter

2007 Rockwood Roo 21ss
It has a water filter inside the camper under the rear bed storage cabinet does that filter just the onboard water or does it filter all water? We are considering purchasing a water filter from Amazon cause the water at our camp ground smells really bad. Any suggestions?
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Right in the Middle
Posts: 61
Water filter should/does filter water coming in via your city water connection. Fresh water tank (separate fill) is unfiltered.

High recco for a 2- (or even 3-) filter unit from ClearSource. After review, I have one on order and will bumpermount it. Below is a review from Ray at LoveYourRV.com:

__________________
TT - 2022 Rockwood Roo 235S
TV - 2017 Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige w/air + WeighSafe hitch
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1972 View Post
2007 Rockwood Roo 21ss
It has a water filter inside the camper under the rear bed storage cabinet does that filter just the onboard water or does it filter all water? We are considering purchasing a water filter from Amazon cause the water at our camp ground smells really bad. Any suggestions?
The filter installed by the factory will do a fine job of taking out the smell/taste of campground water. A simple inline filter for the hose will make sure that water going into the tank doesn't smell/taste bad.

I have used the onboard filter that came with my TT since 2017, changing the filter element once per year and see no reason to install any aftermarket filters, bypassing the OE filter.

Yes, I do have to get down on the floor to change the filter but only once per year? Let's me know if I need to eat less or exercise more
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The filter installed by the factory will do a fine job of taking out the smell/taste of campground water. A simple inline filter for the hose will make sure that water going into the tank doesn't smell/taste bad.

I have used the onboard filter that came with my TT since 2017, changing the filter element once per year and see no reason to install any aftermarket filters, bypassing the OE filter.

Yes, I do have to get down on the floor to change the filter but only once per year? Let's me know if I need to eat less or exercise more
Just a few quick questions for you on this being a new owner first full summer of camping. Will there be water already in the filter system that will need drained out before I can change the filter? Do I turn off the water supply system from the campground to change the filter? Bear with me I have never done this before.
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Right in the Middle
Posts: 61
Titanmike makes a good point. The OEM filter take care of many water issues with a pore size of 150 microns.

Here in farm (aka runoff) country, we've got occasional water issues in the places we camp, and the inline OEM filter doesn't necessarily meet our needs. We elected to replace the inline filter with an external unit, eliminating one (relatively minor) weak spot in the water system and replacing it with a (fairly costly, but effective) external filter solution that has a higher flow rate and a significantly more stringent pore size.

Everyone needs to figure out what will work best for their own situation. Your mileage may vary.
__________________
TT - 2022 Rockwood Roo 235S
TV - 2017 Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige w/air + WeighSafe hitch
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,736
the onboard filter should filter all water, you can verify that by tracing the water lines - if the filter is downstream of where the tank water line enters the main water lines, it is filtering the water from the tank and from the city water connection.

Have you ever changed the filter element in it?
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 95
Have you ever changed the filter element in it?[/QUOTE]


Have not done this yet. THey did give us another filter for in that and the wrench to remove the canister. I am going to get this done this weekend and see what happens. Still dealing with water in the front bunk end coming in when the door is open.
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
GalsofEscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Catonsville Maryland
Posts: 1,736
it is done with the water off. open a faucet to relieve the pressure and then remove the canister with the wrench. i put towels down as you may drip some water. dump the water out of the canister along with the old membrane. insert new membrane and screw the canister back into the holder. turn the water back on and open a faucet to allow the canister to fill. close the faucet and check the canister for leaks.......
__________________
HTT: "EscapeII" 2016 Shamrock 23WS (current)
PUP: "Escape" 2010 Rockwood HW 277 (gone)
TV: "Bruce" 2011 Dodge Durango V8 Hemi Crew
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
it is done with the water off. open a faucet to relieve the pressure and then remove the canister with the wrench. i put towels down as you may drip some water. dump the water out of the canister along with the old membrane. insert new membrane and screw the canister back into the holder. turn the water back on and open a faucet to allow the canister to fill. close the faucet and check the canister for leaks.......
A quick "hack" to avoid any water spill from the filter canister when changing is to turn the water pump's "source valve" to the winterizing position. This will cause it to suck from the antifreeze port. With nothing connected to the antifreeze port the pump will suck air (don't worry, they are designed to run dry now) and when you open a faucet the filter canister will be filled with air.

When I change my filter I don't bother with pie tins, pans, baggies, or towels. There's only about an inch of water remaining in the bottom of the canister and nothing spills. Even when tilted the small amount to clear the filter base and remove.

When finished I just need to return the source valve so the pump sucks from fresh water tank.

Of course one could do the same by draining the FW tank and then running pump until only air comes from faucet.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
Titanmike makes a good point. The OEM filter take care of many water issues with a pore size of 150 microns.

Here in farm (aka runoff) country, we've got occasional water issues in the places we camp, and the inline OEM filter doesn't necessarily meet our needs. We elected to replace the inline filter with an external unit, eliminating one (relatively minor) weak spot in the water system and replacing it with a (fairly costly, but effective) external filter solution that has a higher flow rate and a significantly more stringent pore size.

Everyone needs to figure out what will work best for their own situation. Your mileage may vary.
I believe the OEM filter is about 145 microns smaller than what you stated.

From WaterPur specs posted on their site:

Quote:
5 micron nominal filtration
What I don't understand is why people will:

Spend a lot of money to replace a filter with inferior filtration specs;

Spend a lot of money to save a few $$ on the replacement filter element.

Replacing an OE filter system with one that uses cheaper elements only saves around $10 per filter change. Once per year, it will take 10 years to offset the cost of an OE filter element with a replacement filter systems costing $100 (as an example).

Like I said, hard to understand.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:05 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 331
I have the Clearsource 2 canister system from my trailer. Has a 5 micron sediment filter and then a 0.5 micron contaminant filter (now a 0.2 micron filter is available). Much cleaner and safer water than the OEM setup. I took the filter out of the OEM canister as I always use the Clearsource for water hookups and for filling the FWT.

It is expensive and there are likely cheaper solutions, even DIY ones that can use similar quality filters. But I like the metal frame and heavy duty components. I hang mine on the rear ladder with bike/hose hooks I added to the filter frame.

You never know the quality of the water you are putting into your trailer as you travel, so the better the filtration, the safer and better tasting
__________________
2021 Flagstaff 21DS
2015 Silverado 2500HD (overkill but convenient)

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 02:52 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
I have the Clearsource 2 canister system from my trailer. Has a 5 micron sediment filter and then a 0.5 micron contaminant filter (now a 0.2 micron filter is available). Much cleaner and safer water than the OEM setup. I took the filter out of the OEM canister as I always use the Clearsource for water hookups and for filling the FWT.

It is expensive and there are likely cheaper solutions, even DIY ones that can use similar quality filters. But I like the metal frame and heavy duty components. I hang mine on the rear ladder with bike/hose hooks I added to the filter frame.

You never know the quality of the water you are putting into your trailer as you travel, so the better the filtration, the safer and better tasting
The OE filter combines sediment and "contaminated' filtration in a singe element. The larger filters are designed for higher volume use applications like stick and brick homes that have a couple baths in use, washing machines, dishwashers, etc.

The smaller OE filter does all of what you describe only needs to be changed every 10,000 gallons or so. For the average RV user that works out to about every 5-6 years although it's still best to change annually due to periods of disuse.

FWIW, the company that makes the FR OE filters also offers a .5 micron unit that is perfect for the kitchen sink cold water line if you want drinking water. I just drink the stuff filtered by the main filter and have yet to have any issues. (must be the immunity I developed from drinking out of my canteen while serving in the Army. Water for it came out of a "Water Buffalo" (trailer) and who knows where it came from or how well filtered it was).
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
The OE filter combines sediment and "contaminated' filtration in a singe element. The larger filters are designed for higher volume use applications like stick and brick homes that have a couple baths in use, washing machines, dishwashers, etc.

The smaller OE filter does all of what you describe only needs to be changed every 10,000 gallons or so. For the average RV user that works out to about every 5-6 years although it's still best to change annually due to periods of disuse.

FWIW, the company that makes the FR OE filters also offers a .5 micron unit that is perfect for the kitchen sink cold water line if you want drinking water. I just drink the stuff filtered by the main filter and have yet to have any issues. (must be the immunity I developed from drinking out of my canteen while serving in the Army. Water for it came out of a "Water Buffalo" (trailer) and who knows where it came from or how well filtered it was).

When I last looked I could not find a filter better than 1 micron. Guess I didn't look hard enough. I do like the ability to filter water going into the FWT as well. Keep as much of the system "clean" as possible.

As for your water buffalo immunity, that may the case. That or all the "inoculations" they gave you guys. And thanks for serving
__________________
2021 Flagstaff 21DS
2015 Silverado 2500HD (overkill but convenient)

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Right in the Middle
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I believe the OEM filter is about 145 microns smaller than what you stated.
Thanks, TitanMike. I should know better than to quote a video without checking. It's important to note that the WaterPur specs say "Nominal Filtration" - which means the filter traps most things at the listed size, but not all (which matters when we're talking about really tiny little things that can make people very sick). When chasing micron numbers, it's also important to be looking for "Absolute Filtration" (as the ClearSource filter offers) - where every pore is that size and smaller (as opposed to "Nominal.")

It appears as though you've been beating this particular horse for a while. That's definitely your prerogative, keep up the good information and contributing to the community. I definitely appreciate the effort and the info.

Some of us have run into flat out /terrible/ and compromised water sources through the course of our own experience, and now (1) demand higher quality filtration; (2) with better measured throughput; (3) want to keep our tanks as clean as possible; and (4) have very specific health requirements for clean and pure water sources within our families. I work extensively with the local water concerns, including the water providers, distributors, and sewage district - (water in farmland is a particularly interesting subject, water infrastructure is another one). My particular choice was a measured one carefully considered and helps meet my needs, including meeting health concerns, providing flexibility for wild water sources, ability for future use, and removing a(n admittedly small) potential source for water issues inside the camper (accessible only by going outside).

for reference:
• 5 micron filters is designed to hold out larger particulates, incl sediment and debris
• .5 micron filters holds out pathogens and actually does the heavy lifting to make water safer to consume and use.
• .2 micron filters is almost unimportant, so long as the .5 filtering is taking place

No matter what filtering system you espouse, I suggest we all agree that filtering water is a wide move.

I value your opinion and perspective - something simple, that you already have, comparatively inexpensive and well performing for your needs clearly trumps something more complicated, that is an add on, that is more expensive, that doesn't perform the way you need it to. Your mileage may (and certainly seems to) vary.

Thank you for feeding information into this thread. I truly value your information and contribution. Others know so much more than I do, I want to learn as best as I can, and share anything I learn along the way.

P.S. Thank you for your service.
__________________
TT - 2022 Rockwood Roo 235S
TV - 2017 Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige w/air + WeighSafe hitch
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:10 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 95
THank you

I wanted to thank you all for your information and responses. Being a first time camper owner this is all new to me and my family. We are trying to learn and yet still struggling with some aspects of the camper. Thank you Titan for your service to our country. I reach out to this forum for information and input on anything I am not sure of and really appreciate the replies and I do read them all.
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Chuck_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 2,177
The on-board water filter in our Roo filters ALL the water. City and tank. Filter cartridge is a Lowes/Home Depot item. There are various filter sizes. I use the one that filters the smallest stuff. I also use an in-line filter between the hydrant and camper when we have city water.

-- Chuck
__________________
2006 Roo 23SS behind a 2017 Ford Expedition
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Right in the Middle
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The on-board water filter in our Roo filters ALL the water. City and tank.
Yep, tho some folks want to filter water BEFORE it goes in their (freshwater) tank. Depending on the water source, that is.
__________________
TT - 2022 Rockwood Roo 235S
TV - 2017 Audi Q7 3.0 Prestige w/air + WeighSafe hitch
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:47 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 95
I don't believe the filter in our room filters all the water I think it only filters the fresh water tank. Gonna buy an external filter for the hose this week. Thanks everyone for the inout
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water, water filter

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.