Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #1

Water filter cartridge

New owner of a 2021 Flagstaff Shamrock and need to know where to find the onboard water filter. I’m assuming there is one since they gave us a new cartridge and wrench. The water fill is next to the hot water tank under a dining room bench but it dives under the subfloor.

Thanks for any help I can get!
PapaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. this is a guess on my part as I don't know your rig. I would start by first looking at where the water pump is installed, then move to either the bath or kitchen. Just look at the positive you will get to know your rig while searching for the filter good luck

I should have added give the dealer a call
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #3

Thank you Seadog! I have looked in both the kitchen and bath. No luck yet. I’ll call dealer.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaZ View Post
New owner of a 2021 Flagstaff Shamrock and need to
know where to find the onboard water filter.

Need to know what your rig is, PapaZ.

Shamrocks are the same as Roos, so you can follow advice for same model numbers. 235S filter is right next to the wet panel on the driver's side rear. You get to it through the rear cargo opening.

Open the door, stick your head in, look left - it's behind that wood panel.

Make sure to download app and the manual(s) - those oughta point you in the right direction, too.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #5

On our 2509S I had to remove a panel (1 screw) to get to mine. You might find your water pump (turn it on and listen) and look close to it; mine was connected to the output of the water pump.

FYI, I took it out, like many have done. At first it worked fine, then started leaking for no apparent reason.
AlanMoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #6

Sorry about that! This is a Shamrock 19. Our wet panel is in the same location, driver’s rear. I’ll check that rear cargo access as soon as it quits raining here in Lee’s Summit! So much to learn! The Shamrock is a bit more complicated than our V-Trek popup!

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-25-2021, 11:02 AM   #7

Yes, I’ve seen references to leak issues on other forums. I won’t hesitate to take it out if it comes to that!

Thanks Alan!
Old 03-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

That is one of the first things I did on my 2020. Took out the water filter system and bypassed it.
Old 03-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #9

I will definitely work on this soon! Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #10

I have a Roo 19. My water filter is in the front side storage compartment on the driver's side. When I opened the door there was a wood panel right behind it. Behind that panel is where my filter is. There is also ample storage space behind there wanting to be used.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #11

Good grief! What a noob I am! It was right there where you said with a label on the panel. I've been in that storage compartment multiple times and never saw it. Regardless, thanks for the help!
Old 03-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #12

If you experience leaks, just check the O-ring and mating surface for debris and damage, then apply a food safe grease to the O-ring and threads before re-installing. Tighten it too much and it will crack....and leak.
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #13

Beware. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	251608

Mine cracked and broke off. Long story that I’ll add later.

It constantly leaked (2021 233S) a little. I put a red solo cup to catch the drip when camping. Camping world installed a solid plastic one that seems much sturdier.
Docedward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:55 PM   #14

My pump and filter were behind a door-looking panel secured with screws. There was even a sticker on the outside about "Not a storage location." Both the sticker and screws are now past tense. Put hinges and a latch on the panel and it's now a real door. And there are several water pump and filter related objects stored there too.

-- Chuck
Old 04-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docedward View Post
Beware. Attachment 251608

Mine cracked and broke off. Long story that I’ll add later.

It constantly leaked (2021 233S) a little. I put a red solo cup to catch the drip when camping. Camping world installed a solid plastic one that seems much sturdier.
From the way it broke it's possible that it was over-tightened which caused the base to crack.

Not an uncommon issue if one is trying to stop a small leak.

This type canister is sealed with an o-ring that works best when coated with some "faucet/stem grease (silicone)". I always clean out the groove with a q-tip and check O-ring for any flaws before reinstalling it with a fairly liberal coating of the above grease. O-rings only need a minimal pressure to seal and overtightening can lead to cracks which eventually fail.

If the canister won't seal with just hand pressure on the wrench, remove, clean ALL surfaces, replace O-ring, and reinstall.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #16

Good information! Thank you!
Old 04-12-2021, 12:12 AM   #17

when trying to unscrew that particular model of filter... release any water pressure by opening a water valve, then push up on bottom filter housing and pressing down on the top... trying to compress the housing... when the cart finally comes off you will see why... there are teeth in the upper body and cartridge that lock to prevent the filter from loosening while bouncing down the road...

personally, because that location is tough to work in... I merely used a short length of hose to bypass the filter completely and use an external hose screw-on filter... those blue types found at Walmart... just toss and buy a new on after a year or two...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
when trying to unscrew that particular model of filter... release any water pressure by opening a water valve, then push up on bottom filter housing and pressing down on the top... trying to compress the housing... when the cart finally comes off you will see why... there are teeth in the upper body and cartridge that lock to prevent the filter from loosening while bouncing down the road...

personally, because that location is tough to work in... I merely used a short length of hose to bypass the filter completely and use an external hose screw-on filter... those blue types found at Walmart... just toss and buy a new on after a year or two...
From the picture it looks like it's the newer design without the "teeth". Don't know when the change occurred but my 2018 (built in May 2017) didn't have the type filter you described and looks just like the OP's as pictured.

Releasing water pressure is still essential on the new design before trying to un-screw.

BTW, this is the filter canister you described. The one pictured is an RCS-10 and doesn't have the indexing label or "stair-step teeth".

(this is more for the benefit of others that may be confused)

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter