Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 PM   #1

Water Heater electric switch

Hello there. I successfully took out our 233S Roo on a weekend family camping trip. We slept 8 ( 3 adults, and 5 kids (14yrs, 10yrs, 8yrs, 8yrs, 7yrs ) with a couch unused. I fired up the stove, the outside portable grill, and the hot water heater ( on propane ). I tried the electric water heater but either I was doing something wrong or waiting 10 mins of running the hot water wasn’t long enough. On the outside of the trailer at the heater rod area I put the switch to on. As well I turned the water heater electric switch on. I ran the water but didn’t see a change in temperature. Oh and I was plugged into the 30 amp at the site.
Here’s question #2. When running on battery power is it normal for my fridge to flash on and off the check light while on on and auto?
Just wondering and trying to learn here. Thanks from California
Duran916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #2

You say you turned the switch on the heater by the heater rod and also turned water heater electric switch? I’m assuming your talking about the water heater switch inside the RV? That switch is actually a switch to turn on gas heat. It should have a red led by it that comes on and goes out as long as the gas fired burner lights.

It sounds like your winterization valves are still in winterize position. Can you take a pic of the valve positions or just google winterize valve positions and make sure yours are correctly set.

As far as your second guestion.. I’m not sure what your asking.. spell check take over..lol.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:44 PM   #3

It's difficult to understand exactly what you did from your post. But here are some thoughts:

If you had already heated the water with the LP gas, you aren't going to really notice any difference with the electric heater on if you just run a little water. Especially if you didn't turn off the gas side.

My suggestion: Leave the gas off overnight. In the morning, run some water and see how hot it is. (The water stays hot for quite some time; you may be surprised how warm it still is in the morning.) Then turn on the electric side for 10 minutes and see how hot the water is.

If you have a used TT and this is your first time out, it's also possible that the previous owner burned out the heating element.

OR the 120VAC breaker for the water heater is tripped.

Finally, make sure the water heater is plugged in. If it's a new unit, they've been known to not have been plugged in by the Amish guy who installed it - he was in too much of a hurry.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #4

I never turn on the outside electric switch on the hot water tank; I turn on the switch inside and let the propane heat the water. (I even turn off the main breaker to the hot water tank).

As to your second question, I would guess that propane had not reached the frig. When this happens to me, I turn off the frig and wait for the propane gas to reach the frig; then turn the frig on. Sometime I even light a burner on the stove to get the gas flowing.
Ram 2500 / FR Surveyor 251rks
debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
StlClay

Refrigerator problem

Blinking check light normally is telling you your unit is not running correctly on propane. Usually has something to do with either lack of propane supply, flame adjustment or flame sensing wire (which controls ignighter). You need to be more specific about type of unit you have. It may not be designed to run on12v

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

Our 2018 Roo 24WS has two switches inside... one for gas HW and one for Electric HW. In addition to that Elec HW switch inside, you need to go outside and remove the HW cover and find another electric switch and turn it on. This outside switch is the extra safety for when you have your HW tank or FW tanks drained for winterization, element change or anode rod change. You don't want someone inside accidently flipping on the HW Electric and burning up the electric heating element

When someone is actually using the shower we flip on both Gas and Electric to give it a little more boost in the recovery process. When the water reaches the set temperature, Electric and Gas will go off just like at home.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #7

Before I turn on Gas or certainly Electric switches we always open a HW faucet to confirm that only water comes out... no water or air in water means the tank is not filled with water and you have other things to take care of first.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

The blinking refrigerator light in the LP setting, or on Auto with no 120vAC power is a failure of the refrigerator flame to light. "Bleed" the propane line to the refrigerator by running the gas stove for a minute.

Water heater electric mode has a switch outside under the door that is safety pinned Off from the factory to prevent being powered On before the tank is filled with water. The electric element will burn out faster than your favorite swear work and flipping the switch again. Also a circuit breaker in the power box. LP mode typically has a switch somewhere in the trailer.

-- Chuck
Old 08-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Before I turn on Gas or certainly Electric switches we always open a HW faucet to confirm that only water comes out... no water or air in water means the tank is not filled with water and you have other things to take care of first.
Water coming out of the HW faucet doesn't necessarily mean the WH tank is full. When the bypass is on, water still flows through both hot and cold lines.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Our 2018 Roo 24WS has two switches inside... one for gas HW and one for Electric HW. In addition to that Elec HW switch inside, you need to go outside and remove the HW cover and find another electric switch and turn it on. This outside switch is the extra safety for when you have your HW tank or FW tanks drained for winterization, element change or anode rod change. You don't want someone inside accidently flipping on the HW Electric and burning up the electric heating element

When someone is actually using the shower we flip on both Gas and Electric to give it a little more boost in the recovery process. When the water reaches the set temperature, Electric and Gas will go off just like at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Water coming out of the HW faucet doesn't necessarily mean the WH tank is full. When the bypass is on, water still flows through both hot and cold lines.
Iwritecode's information is correct and some I've been preaching for years.

With the water heater (inadvertently) left in bypass (as reported here happens very often!) there will be water flowing out every hot water faucet in your R/V but there will be NO water in your water heater.

The only way to know for sure is open the T&P pop-off on the water heater itself. If water comes out... the tank is full.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #11

for the fridge - mine sometimes takes two attempts for the fridge to light in propane mode if it has not been used in awhile. I turn on the fridge, you can hear the fridge attempt to light (it is a clicking noise) - if it fails to light, the fridge will stop the attempt and the check light will come on. Turn the fridge off, wait a second or two and then turn it back on. again, you will hear the clicking noise and hopefully - a small swoosh sound as the fridge lights.

just as an aside - i use electric sites, so i usually run the fridge on electric.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, switch, water, water heater