Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #1

water leak issue

At the prompting of another member I have decided to split off this question from my other post. I will create a new post about the battery next. If I need to get photos of this issue I can this weekend.
as we were packing up to leave I notice the carpet was wet just outside the rear cabinet under the rear bed. I opened the door and found there is a small leak in one of the connections coming from the hot water tank. Being first time owners we are not even sure how to fix these issues. I put a small tray down to catch the water and we turned off the incoming water connection.
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #2

You did not mention it but are you using a good quality adjustable water pressure regulator. City water can be very high and cause leaks where otherwise they would not happen with pump pressure. Just something to look at I set mine at 40psi and have good flow.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:55 AM   #3

the connections are on what is called PEX pipe. There are tools that can be bought to make and break PEX fittings and the specialty clamps.

You can also use a Dremel tool to easily cut off the clamps and replace them with simple hose clamps, This is assuming that the fitting is leaking and not an actual split in the plastic PEX pipe. Without a Dremel tool cutting off the old clamp is a bit more difficult... try a good quality diagonal cutters pliers.
The pic bellow shows the blue PEX pipe and two clamps that go to the back of the toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	310-02.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	260284  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:03 AM   #4

I will post picture this weekend of the leak location in hopes that it helps to get advice on how to repair it. Where we hook up to is well water not city water to we do not us a water pressure regulator as there is very low pressure from the campground.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #5

I would advise getting a pressure regulator anyway unless you plan on never visiting another campground just one more tool to keep things operating correctly.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #6

Water leak found and fixed. It turns out the water going in to the hot water tank was leaking at one of the connections. Tightened the connection the done now just keeping any eye to make sure that was enough or do we need to put new plumbers putty on the threads.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #7

teflon tape from any hardware store is an easy method of sealing any air or water leaks on any threaded pipe... about a buck or so... easy to apply and use lasts forever...

picture below for reference purposes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teflon tape.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	260702  

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 08-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
teflon tape from any hardware store is an easy method of sealing any air or water leaks on any threaded pipe... about a buck or so... easy to apply and use lasts forever...

picture below for reference purposes
Thanks I will get some of this stuff.
Old 08-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
the connections are on what is called PEX pipe. There are tools that can be bought to make and break PEX fittings and the specialty clamps.

You can also use a Dremel tool to easily cut off the clamps and replace them with simple hose clamps, This is assuming that the fitting is leaking and not an actual split in the plastic PEX pipe. Without a Dremel tool cutting off the old clamp is a bit more difficult... try a good quality diagonal cutters pliers.
The pic bellow shows the blue PEX pipe and two clamps that go to the back of the toilet.
I use a small set of bolt cutters to remove the PEX clamps.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1972 View Post
Thanks I will get some of this stuff.
correct installation requires you to wrap it on the threads correctly...

watch a youtube video

2014 Shamrock 183

Tags
leak, water, water leak