Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Smile water pump on/off all the time

Please settle a disagreement between me and the wifey, I have always been under the assumption that you turn on the water pump only when you need it, But my wifey says it is on a pressure switch and be left on all the time. who's right ????? yeah I know the woman is always right !
pudgybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

she 'should' be right, if the pressure switch/sensor is working 'properly', but if the pump is running when it shouldn't be, then YOU were right!

it's really a little comical that we do one thing at our house, and something quite the opposite in our 'house on wheels'... who turns 'off' their water pump at home? who turns 'off' their water Heater at home? etc.

but, it is what it is, if you know what I mean : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Well your wife is right.
It works on demand, if the switch is on.
Many of us turn the switch off, if leaving the trailer for awhile, in case something leaks.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
she 'should' be right, if the pressure switch/sensor is working 'properly', but if the pump is running when it shouldn't be, then YOU were right!
Nah, she's right either way.

If the pump is running when it shouldn't, there's a different fish to fry.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

Your wife is right but, on city water the pump must be turned off.

If the pump cycles on and off when not in use you either have a plumbing leak that needs to be taken care off asap, or the pump loses prime due to a leaking check valve caused by debris or when the pump was left on when on city water.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudgybear View Post
Please settle a disagreement between me and the wifey, I have always been under the assumption that you turn on the water pump only when you need it, But my wifey says it is on a pressure switch and be left on all the time. who's right ????? yeah I know the woman is always right !

Wife when on tank supply, you when on city.
DRothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothman View Post
Wife when on tank supply, you when on city.
I'll add that we turn off the water (pump/city faucet) whenever we're going to be away from the campsite for a while. As much as we'd like to think our trailer plumbing is as good as our home plumbing, that's just not the case. I'd hate to have a bad PEX joint or similar fail or pop off while we're gone and flood/ruin the trailer.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Your wife is right but, on city water the pump must be turned off.

If the pump cycles on and off when not in use you either have a plumbing leak that needs to be taken care off asap, or the pump loses prime due to a leaking check valve caused by debris or when the pump was left on when on city water.
I fail to understand the logic behind your statement. I work in power plants where we have multiple sets of 4 pumps in parallel, each with their own discharge check valves. We run 3 at a time, with one for maintenance backup. If one of the 3 running pumps fails, pressure drops and a pressure switch starts the standby pump. We cycle through them periodically to even the run times.

Your city water is supplied by a similar pump (many feet or miles away), with a "discharge check valve" at your city water connection, and your RV pump has a discharge check valve and a pressure sensor to start it (or stop it).

Furthermore, there are a number of people here who have posted that they actually leave their RV pump ON to allow it to keep their water pressure up when showering if the campground pressure isn't that great. (Of course, this uses up their FW tank water.)

So I'm failing to see the difference and where this urban legend has come from.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:19 PM   #9

I don't know anyone who uses the water pump and fresh water tank while hooked up to a city water connection.
Didn't even know it was possible.
You only need one source of water.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:32 PM   #10

I leave my water pump on for a different reason when connected to city water: Ever have the city water shut off? Seen a hose burst? Someone (even yourself) turn it off outside just so they can "borrow" it a second? Well, if it doesnt get turned back on, you run the risk of losing water pressure or just water in your hot water tank. The pump keeps it there.

I may be way off, but it works as a nice backup. Never heard it come on while the city water was actually on and working, but i have disconnected quickly to do things and as always, someone goes into the bathroom and uses water.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Site Team

Running the water pump when on city water can cause the back-flow valve to seat incorrectly and thus filling the FW tank to overflowing. Common problem showing up here several times a month.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookupAndGo View Post
Well, if it doesnt get turned back on, you run the risk of losing water pressure or just water in your hot water tank.
If I read this correctly, it sounds like you're saying that losing water could result in an empty water heater.

If I recall correctly, the water heater's outlet is at the TOP of the tank. It shouldn't be able to empty itself.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:54 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Running the water pump when on city water can cause the back-flow valve to seat incorrectly and thus filling the FW tank to overflowing. Common problem showing up here several times a month.
First time it happened to me, I had both on accidentally and it was at a place with high city water pressure.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:

Yep, mine did that every time until I learned to relieve the pressure in my pipes before turning on the city water supply.

As to the original post, I turn my pump on when I leave home and turn it off when I get back (not counting stops with hookups). Mainly that avoids not having water when flushing is necessary.
xgarys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
I'll add that we turn off the water (pump/city faucet) whenever we're going to be away from the campsite for a while. As much as we'd like to think our trailer plumbing is as good as our home plumbing, that's just not the case. I'd hate to have a bad PEX joint or similar fail or pop off while we're gone and flood/ruin the trailer.

Nailed It.
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm not convinced that running the pump with city water on is what's causing the check valve to seat incorrectly.

People who have never run their water pumps or have never run them with city water have had back flow. And people who've run them together have not had back flow.

Correlation is not causation.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks for explaining.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
Nailed It.
Yes
Old 05-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

it's really a little comical that we do one thing at our house, and something quite the opposite in our 'house on wheels'... who turns 'off' their water pump at home? who turns 'off' their water Heater at home? etc.

but, it is what it is, if you know what I mean : )
Who turns the water pump & water heater off @ home when they go away ???
WE DO !!!

We also turn the pump in our MH off when we leave it !!!
If you have ever seen a home flood,,, to the point where the water is running out of the siding,,, or the basement has become a swimming pool !!!
You too would turn your water pump off when you go away !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump