Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

WDH..... YES or NO????

We have recently purchased / traded ( last fall ) our 1940 LTD Rockwood pop up for a 2000 Shamrock M-18 ( comparable to a Roo 19' ) and am torn about installing a WDH on it. A bit confused to say the least, I suppose.

The previous owners apparently did not use a WDH on it. Most likely due to the trailer weight, ( uvw 2481, gvwr 4800 ) and being a double axle. It pulls straight, no sway whatsoever.

The tongue frame shows no signs of any WDH marks ever attached to it, so assuming none was used.

My Tow vehicle specs are....2003 Silverado 4x4, ext. cab, 5.3L, 3.73 gears, HD factory tow pkg, HD suspension, HD coolers.

Pulls great. I am well below my towable ratings with this TT. The TW I believe is roughly 400lbs.

My question is... when I am hooked up to my TV I have very little squat, but at times when I am traveling down the road I do feel a bit of bucking and bouncing at times ( with different road grades ) and am wondering if a WDH would help cure this or am I just being anal about it all? It rides smoothly down the road on level roads. I am assuming my total TT weight is close to 3000 lbs at the most, when packed and camping ready.

OR could it be that I'm too light in the tongue weight when loaded? Everything sits on the double axle except for the fresh water, which is in front of the axle, along with the 2 propane tanks and battery.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We never had to worry about WDH when we had the pop up, just load and go. But with any new adventure comes the questionable "questions". If I have forgotten to mention anything, please let me know.

BTW, my tow ratings are 600 lb. / 5000 lb. w/o WDH and 1500 lb. / 12000 lb. with WDH.

I have posed this question to another member, so I'll also ask others for additional input. Thanks in advance.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #2

I think the bouncing is exactly what the wdh would help with. It is probably a personal choice in a trailer that light but there is no doubt you would gain comfort and more of a "single unit" feel with wdh.

It is hard to say without actually sitting in your drivers seat as there are many variables, but it would only improve things with no down sides except cost and extra hookup time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
I think the bouncing is exactly what the wdh would help with. It is probably a personal choice in a trailer that light but there is no doubt you would gain comfort and more of a "single unit" feel with wdh.

It is hard to say without actually sitting in your drivers seat as there are many variables, but it would only improve things with no down sides except cost and extra hookup time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Thanks RooVader. We have a few more local outings planned over the next couple weekends and then a longer one in June. It will give me time to ponder this weight vs. WDH and scrutinize myself a bit more.

We did take it to the CatScale on the day we picked it up. After fueling we weighed the entire unit as CCW, just to get a rough figure.
The TW is light, and I'm sure with the additional water weight it would raise it another approx. 241 lbs. ( so states the sticker inside the cabinet ) along with 2 full LP Tanks ( another 180 lbs. ) Being doing my math here.. , so I'm thinking I'm a bit closer to doubling that figure, if I'm correct in my figures, and that's not counting my overflow in my front storage compartments. Maybe an additional 50 lbs, at most.

But not totally convinced of the "as stated" TW being the unit is a double axle and how much of the weight is already distributed atop them, so I think I will make a trip ( fully loaded ) back to the CatScale and have another go at it.

Here is a link to the same camper we have with some of the stats listed.
Colonial Airstream NJ - 2000 Flagstaff Shamrock M-18 19'1" by Forest River

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Since winds can be quite severe (we've seen 80 mph) here in the Rocky Mountains, my dealer will not sell a trailer without ensuring the buyer has a hitch with a sway control. (He does charge the buyer but has his techs install them for free.)
Having said that, I've never towed a trailer without one so don't know how much of a difference they make.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #5

It looks like your right there at that point where you don't have to have one, but it wouldn't hurt ya. Use your best judgment and decide for yourself if you need one. Tow it locally and get it up to some speed, if you still feel you don't need one then don't get one. Also keep an eye on C-List for a good used one.

But know it wouldn't hurt to have one!!
Old 05-14-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

Sway might not be a problem in most circumstances, but let's say the driver instinctively jerks the wheel to avoid something, or a blast of side wind hits; sway can happen and results can be serious. For the relatively low cost of sway control, it's cheap insurance.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
It looks like your right there at that point where you don't have to have one, but it wouldn't hurt ya. Use your best judgment and decide for yourself if you need one. Tow it locally and get it up to some speed, if you still feel you don't need one then don't get one. Also keep an eye on C-List for a good used one.

But know it wouldn't hurt to have one!!

Hmmm, I think we already had our Maiden Voyage with this NTU TT. The 17 hour total round trip to NE Indiana from So. Il. to drop off / trade in our Pop Up, and bring this one home. Thinking back it wasn't a real white knuckle ride AFTER the first hour or so considering the weather was a bit crappy in Indiana. It was nerving at times due to the fact that it definitely had more height to it. But it tagged behind pretty well without sway.

We were able to travel at approx. 60 mph most of the trip. I remember the worse part was the drag on the truck at times when the winds would kick in. So we adjusted our speed accordingly. We also made plenty of pit stops to rest our souls! Towing the Pop Up was a breeze due to its low profile behind the truck. Ehh, in time this will be a piece of cake too.

Needless to say we both slept quite well that night after that trip was over.

So looking back to the day of our initial purchase I would say we did okay, just I had forgot about it. On purpose? maybe! Dementia?......maybe.. lol...

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
Sway might not be a problem in most circumstances, but let's say the driver instinctively jerks the wheel to avoid something, or a blast of side wind hits; sway can happen and results can be serious. For the relatively low cost of sway control, it's cheap insurance.
Thanks Frozen. I did invest in a Sway Control. This, I figured, was truly a must, regardless if I needed a WDH or not.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 05-14-2015, 02:15 PM   #9

I have a Shamrock 183 about the same size as your Roo. I tow with a Harbor Freight WDH hitch. This hitch is good for 10,000# and 1,000 TW, which obviously I am not even close to. Sometimes, on a sloping uneven surface I cannot get two links of the torsion bar chain onto the trailer link, so I go with one, especially on a short tow. I can feel the bucking sensation when doing RR tracks and hitting potholes. If I do get the tighter fit using two links on the chains on the torsion rods, the ride feels much smoother with hardly any bucking. I always re-set the chains to the second link when I gas up if I have to, especially when towing a long distance.

I like the HF hitch. With a 20% coupon and find it on sale, you can be out the door for way less then $200, with the added price of a 2 5/16 ball. The two torsion bars give you sway control. I have had mine for a year and have pulled for over 8,000 miles with it without any problems.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I have a Shamrock 183 about the same size as your Roo. I tow with a Harbor Freight WDH hitch. This hitch is good for 10,000# and 1,000 TW, which obviously I am not even close to. Sometimes, on a sloping uneven surface I cannot get two links of the torsion bar chain onto the trailer link, so I go with one, especially on a short tow. I can feel the bucking sensation when doing RR tracks and hitting potholes. If I do get the tighter fit using two links on the chains on the torsion rods, the ride feels much smoother with hardly any bucking. I always re-set the chains to the second link when I gas up if I have to, especially when towing a long distance.

I like the HF hitch. With a 20% coupon and find it on sale, you can be out the door for way less then $200, with the added price of a 2 5/16 ball. The two torsion bars give you sway control. I have had mine for a year and have pulled for over 8,000 miles with it without any problems.

rsdata.....This sounds pretty much what I am experiencing as well. I am going to take the plunge and order one. I think, just as you and others here have said, it surely wouldn't hurt. If I can get a smoother unified ride than it will be worth it and also the peace and mind knowing I can actually weigh it down a bit more without too much worry. I like to carry extra firewood for the campfires, and at times load up the back of my TV, so this will help with the extra cargo weight in the TV.

Although as you said, just as with the weight of your TT, you most likely won't need the full capacity of the WDH, but it's there should you ever upgrade. Thanks for the chain tips as well. Much appreciated!

BTW, got a great deal with HF online with coupon.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #11

My suggestion would be to read through this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-50603.html

Take the time to run thru the CAT scales several times. Weigh the trailer by itself, and your truck by itself unhitched. Then you will know what you are starting with. Then hook up the trailer with a load similar to what you'd have in it when camping (including water in the tanks if applicable). Weigh it again and you will see how the weight on the truck's axles changes. Are you still within the limits of the truck's axles? We definitely needed a WDH for our setup and following this guide we were able to get the hitch dialed in perfectly.
Hope this helps with your decision.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
My suggestion would be to read through this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...res-50603.html

Take the time to run thru the CAT scales several times. Weigh the trailer by itself, and your truck by itself unhitched. Then you will know what you are starting with. Then hook up the trailer with a load similar to what you'd have in it when camping (including water in the tanks if applicable). Weigh it again and you will see how the weight on the truck's axles changes. Are you still within the limits of the truck's axles? We definitely needed a WDH for our setup and following this guide we were able to get the hitch dialed in perfectly.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks DK-in SC.

Great posting by flicksters. I went ahead and copied his posting to use as a guide once I get the WDH installed.

I did order the 1000 lb. / 10000 lb. WDH. My "max" Hitch stats are 1500 / 12000 w/ WDH. Thinking I'm not going to need this much, but better than not having enough. Now if I only had access to flicksters "brother". LOL

Wow, looking back on the Pop Up days, it sure seemed easier! But still loving the NTU TT. Definitely a learning process.

Thanks again for the link.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
Old 06-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #13

WDH Update

Thanks to all with your input. I did install my WDH and got it set up. Took me roughly an hour or so, but was well worth the time invested. Thanks to Youtube as well for making the install a breeze. Took a bit of determining the chain link count on the bar, but now have it perfectly set.

Camper is within a 1/4" of being level, front to back. Truck is roughly -3/4" difference, from my original rear measured height, and front height remaining the same. About as perfectly level as can be for my setup.

Took her out for a test drive, stopped at a local parking lot, re-checked out my levelness ( truck and camper heights ) and was very happy indeed. Sitting level and pretty.

Went for a short jaunt, purposely over the tracks ( minimal speed, of course ) and continued down the highway checking out the handling, bumps, curves, etc. and was very amazed at the difference. No bucking, porposing, etc.

I'm impressed with the different towing felling. Pulls like a charm. I guess I would have never known how much better towing my lite weight HTT ( and the questionable need for a WDH ) has turned out to be without the help and suggestions from this forum.

Going on a couple hour drive camping trip this weekend so will get to really bask in my glory of installing this WDH and feel its benefits.
Thanks again, ALL!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE