Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #1

Unhappy wfco converter problem

So I am new to RV'n a bought a 2006 rockwood roo 19. First of I took some bad advice and hooked up the RV to 240v (I know, bad idea). What I need is a solution. I have checked power with it connected to 120v and I have power to Air conditioning, outlets and microwave. No lights or fans. I checked the connections at the lights and have little voltage readout. Is there an easy way to check the converter with a multimeter.

Thanks for any help

feeling dumb in MT
papajeans roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch.

Its good that you still have any converter at all and that its still seems to be running the AC devices like the micro, air and outlets.

I assume your Roo has a WFCO 8955 converter. Here's the manual for you. In answer to your question about checking the converter, pages 7 and 8 explain how to check the converter with a multimeter. Electrical diagnosis can be tricky so good luck and let us know how this turns out.

But before you do that, the lights and fans are 12volt so the simplest thing to check first is that system:

Check the fuses in the converter (right side of converter panel when you open it).

Battery - What is the charge you measure with your multimeter?

Check the inline fuse going from the positive battery terminal to the converter itself (usually found under the trailer on the street side).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Oh man I was stressing pretty good. I did get the battery out and had it tested and it was bad. I put a battery in that I knew was good and everything seems to be working now. I might have dodged a bullet. I need to get a manual for the whole trailer before I try any more things.

Thank you for the info.

feeling slightly less dumb in MT
papajeans roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajeans roo
Oh man I was stressing pretty good. I did get the battery out and had it tested and it was bad. I put a battery in that I knew was good and everything seems to be working now. I might have dodged a bullet. I need to get a manual for the whole trailer before I try any more things.

Thank you for the info.

There is really no manual its a generic manual that covers the forest river line.

Get models and serial numbers off all your appliances and look up the specific manuals .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good Job! Nice when its easy.

Following up with Turbo's advice, you might find many of your manuals in our downloads section (called "Files") and located in the green menu bar above.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajeans roo View Post

Thank you for the info.

Maybe not, putting in a new battery you may have only temporary hide your problem.
The way the system works is that the 12V DC side is always pulling from your battery so when the converter fails the battery is no longer being charged but everything works until the battery losses power. By putting in a charged battery everything looks good until the battery runs out since the converter is not charging it.
First thing to check is if the converter fan is running, if so you have a better chance of it having been a battery issue, if it is not running you may still have a converter issue.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #7

Sorry .. the converter fan only runs under higher end load. But camper lucy is right in the rest of the prognosis ... ... run the 12 volt lights and fans for a while (2hrs).. and then stick your head into the converter box area .. and look for the friendly ... "hum" when plugged into a land line.
no hum ... timely time to be lookin for a new converter.

d-mo
Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

Based on the original post it sounds like the converter may still be dead. Without a battery the 12V system should work fine. Disconnect the battery completely and test for lights, fans, etc. If they're dead, there's no output from the converter (assuming the fuses are OK). As already mentioned If you leave the battery connected, then it will power the 12V system...until it goes dead agin.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, rockwood roo, wfco