Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Sham183

What brand/type of trailer cover to buy?

I'm just starting to look around at these things and there are so many RV covers to look at. I have a shamrock 183. What should I look for in the cover? I see some with vents, 3 layers, 4 layers, breathable and so much more. I'm wondering if there are brands to stay away from or are they for the most part the same? I live in Wisconsin and at least for this year it will be stored outside so that want to protect it as best I can from the snow and ice the we get year to year. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tim
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

I like a cover that's got a completely water proof top, breathable sides and zipper panels that will allow me to enter the camper without removing the cover to check on it periodically over the winter.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #3

I too am looking for a cover for my new trailer. I live where we get lots of rain but not much snow. So far I'm leaning to an SFS Aquashed Designer

https://www.rvcoversdirect.com/produ...ravel_trailer/

Breathable is important to me with all our "wet". Don't want any trapped humidity to start any "mushroom farms" or "penicillin factories".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #4

This is the kind I want... assuming I never get it inside...

https://www.adcoprod.com/Roof-top-covers
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #5

Don't buy a cover, just keep on czmping and traveling. You'll get covered when you die.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #6

We really like the covers made from made-in/the-USA Sunbrella brand fabric. Soft, waterproof, breathable, and designed for outdoor use. A little more expensive than non-woven fabrics, but well worth it IMHO. We got ours semi-custom made in the USA from Calmark, and it is a great cover, but there are other manufacturers.
Cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
I'm just starting to look around at these things and there are so many RV covers to look at. I have a shamrock 183. What should I look for in the cover? I see some with vents, 3 layers, 4 layers, breathable and so much more. I'm wondering if there are brands to stay away from or are they for the most part the same? I live in Wisconsin and at least for this year it will be stored outside so that want to protect it as best I can from the snow and ice the we get year to year. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tim
I've had trailers that I covered and I have had trailers I didn't cover the problem I had with covering trailers is it gives the rodents something to climb on and get under the cover and nest there. I'm going without one this time around. Just something to think about.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
I've had trailers that I covered and I have had trailers I didn't cover the problem I had with covering trailers is it gives the rodents something to climb on and get under the cover and nest there. I'm going without one this time around. Just something to think about.

I understand what you are saying about rodents and I have taken this into consideration so thank you on this point. from my experience with working on cars for 15 years and maintenance that I do now, rodents (mice especially) will get in if they really want. I have seen them things climb up a wall like it was the floor. On my pup we had I loaded that up with about 100-200 dryer sheets and closed it up and never had a issue. On the other hand with the size difference of the trailer I will most likely miss a spot here or there so hopefully they do not come in. We will see.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post

Tim
I bought a ADCO cover and only got 2 years out of it.....I'm going to be needing one too.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #10
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
I bought a ADCO cover and only got 2 years out of it.....I'm going to be needing one too.

I'm thinking of going to my local CW and buying one. I forgot the brand they have there but I think it's adco. But I'll have to check. The only reason I'm looking there to buy is they have a 3 year protection plan on top of the 2 year manufacturers plan. So a total of 5 years and they will replace it with no questions asked. I still have to look into the fine print of this but it's not a bad deal and I think it is only around $40 for the plan. It's worth looking into at least.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
The last ADCO cover I bought only lasted 2 years also. The end of the 2nd year we had really high winds and it tore it up pretty good.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #12

re

I just bought an Elements Premium cover from CW on line and took the 3year insurance. My ADCO designer Is going into the garbage next month when I take it off to go on a trip. I used it 3 times and it's falling apart.

dc
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #13
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I just bought an Elements Premium cover from CW on line and took the 3year insurance.

X2

Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #14
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
I just bought an Elements Premium cover from CW on line and took the 3year insurance. My ADCO designer Is going into the garbage next month when I take it off to go on a trip. I used it 3 times and it's falling apart.

dc

Maybe this was the brand I saw at CW. I'll have to look into it.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #15

re

It's a strong fabric and light in weight and that's a plus for me.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #16

my idea

I bought the one from CW breathable with zippered panel
Then bought a Sun Shade from CT parked the Surveyor under that then put the cover over the frame. We are in Canada so lots of snow, 3 yrs now only minor wear easy to fix.
Dennis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:05 AM   #17

Also, do you size the cover based on the specs? Or do you add a couple inches and go to the next larger size?

11 Nights in California so far.

LilHorse&buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #18

I am going to make mine out of Subrella. It will be heavy since I will make it out of the same 9oz/yard material I make boat covers out of but it should last 10 years like my boat covers do.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:45 AM   #19
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilHorse&buggy View Post
Also, do you size the cover based on the specs? Or do you add a couple inches and go to the next larger size?
You want the cover sized properly. If its loose, it can flap in the wind and tear the cover, damage the trailer or both.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #20

Just bought this one for our 2017 23IKSS:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E9GVTZG/

Specs say exterior length is 25'3", so I bought the 24-26' version. Feels big, so I am concerned about flap during fall and spring winds in Southern California. Primary purpose is protection from the sun as it sits in storage. Although the material feels durable and the zippers line up well for the door, so I hope it works for me. Will know more in a few months.
tdischino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, trailer