Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Or park a larger-than-half-ton truck in my driveway!
larger than half ton? What if you upgraded your TV to a 250 or 350... I supposed it can't come home.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #22

Have a friend with a crew cab F350 truck, always clean. The HOA commandos came by enforcing their bylaws which stated no vehicles with commercial business signage on them allowed. So he had the magnetic signs made. Pissed off some HOA folks... but it's the letter of the law. Now the criers tried to amend it and have it changed, but nobody will support it so it stands as is.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #23

I know exactly what you're talking about! This picture is in my backyard. Parker is sitting next to my deck steps. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_152753.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	187532
Old 09-25-2018, 04:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I don't know why I would want to associate with people who made up bylaws and mickey mouse rules. "Can't park a pickup in your drive"? HOA or not it's hard to believe anyone could keep you from parking a legally owned and state registered vehicle that pays road taxes from going anywhere cars and motorcycles go. I suppose if you agree to the rules to live there then it's contract.
I'm the Riff Raff they want to keep out anyway!

X2!!

I will take up permanent residence in the ditch before I ever live under a HOA. Bunch of Communists!! Most Un-American thing they ever came up with.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #25
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
X2!!

I will take up permanent residence in the ditch before I ever live under a HOA. Bunch of Communists!! Most Un-American thing they ever came up with.
Well that’s a little over the top. As I understand it, an HOA is basically a condo development of individual houses. You don’t own the land, just the dwelling. Very similar to condo apartments. You’re renting the land from a developer who has a “board” that manages the development. I’m not saying they can’t be overzealous or even ridiculous with their rules but bottom line is it’s not your land to do with as you please like typical home ownership.

It has nothing to do with communism. Actually, it’s very American. It’s the rules of the land you’re occupying. Do what you want within the rules. Think of it as the laws and constitution of that piece of land. If someone doesn’t like the rules they don’t have to live there.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Well that’s a little over the top. As I understand it, an HOA is basically a condo development of individual houses. You don’t own the land, just the dwelling. Very similar to condo apartments. You’re renting the land from a developer who has a “board” that manages the development. I’m not saying they can’t be overzealous or even ridiculous with their rules but bottom line is it’s not your land to do with as you please like typical home ownership.

It has nothing to do with communism. Actually, it’s very American. It’s the rules of the land you’re occupying. Do what you want within the rules. Think of it as the laws and constitution of that piece of land. If someone doesn’t like the rules they don’t have to live there.

Pay my neighbors to tell me how to live my life, what I can drive, where I can park my car, what I can park in my driveway, what kind of beer you can drink in your yard if they allow you to drink a beer in your yard??? Let your imagination run wild with your neighbors telling you what you can't do...and what you HAVE TO DO. that's an HOA.

OH HELL NO.

You can bet your very last Canadian Peso that will NEVER happen

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #27

Quote:
larger than half ton? What if you upgraded your TV to a 250 or 350... I supposed it can't come home.
I did! It was already a 3/4 ton long bed. We told the developer we wouldn't buy unless we could park our "larger than half ton truck" in the driveway or we wouldn't buy. He agreed. So now I get to park my 1 ton dually in the drive - it barely fits,,,, and my jerk neighbor up the street can't say sh11t. We also got to put up a fence for the pup, which was also not allowed. Leverage,,,,
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #28
Just as confused as you

Quote:

Your comment about not owning the land is not always true. My aunt and uncle had owned their home for 40 years. When they bought the property the land behind theirs was farmland. The property was then bought by a developer and the lots were sold to others with the stipulation that the developer was the only one to build the houses and it was to be a HOA. My uncle bought the lot behind theirs for an investment and to keep someone else from building behind them. The builder/developer will not allow him to plant a garden, flowers or trees and bushes. He can't even build a garage on it. But he had to put in a concrete driveway which he can't park his car on. The other people which bought the remaining properties let their children play on his lot, build bike ramps and tear up the grass and there's not a thing he can do about it unless he has the developer build a house on the lot.
But he has to mow the grass twice a week during the drier/hotter summer month even when the grass is dormant and he has to repair the damage to the lawn done by others.

We had a spurt of development in my neighborhood consisting of 12 new homes at the end nearest the runway of the small grass airport about 10 years ago. The airport is for helicopters and small fixed wing aircraft. The airstrip is used by the community Med-Flight operations (once in the 26 years we have lived here) and the ANG helicopters for Medevac training on Thursdays consisting of 2-3 landings. The busiest time of the year is the fly-in pancake breakfast on a Sunday morning in June, otherwise there is maybe 1-2 flights a week.

The new homeowners wanted everyone to get together to set up a HOA so they can shut down the runway because of the noise. 34 other homeowners told them to get lost. I told them if they needed to try to run others business, to go back to the city where they came from. Not one of the original owners of the newer homes still live there. Too bad, so sad, I'm glad.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:33 PM   #29
Canadian Member

Sounds like we’re all in agreement that we’d never buy a property under a HOA. Others have chosen to. I have no problem with that nor the developer that wants to continue to make a profit off them through fees if that’s the case. Again, the conditions may be reasonable or ridiculous, but if you agree to purchase a property with conditions you need to understand the conditions and all the potential consequences of those conditions. Scrapper, does your uncle’s HOA agreement allow the neighbors’ kids to trespass and run amok on his property so long as there is no house on it?! That would be a ridiculous term of a HOA.

We do have condo apartments and townhouses up here - with monthly condo fees to cover maintenance activities - but I’m not aware of any HOA single, detached home developments anywhere around here.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Sounds like we’re all in agreement that we’d never buy a property under a HOA. Others have chosen to. I have no problem with that nor the developer that wants to continue to make a profit off them through fees if that’s the case. Again, the conditions may be reasonable or ridiculous, but if you agree to purchase a property with conditions you need to understand the conditions and all the potential consequences of those conditions. Scrapper, does your uncle’s HOA agreement allow the neighbors’ kids to trespass and run amok on his property so long as there is no house on it?! That would be a ridiculous term of a HOA.

We do have condo apartments and townhouses up here - with monthly condo fees to cover maintenance activities - but I’m not aware of any HOA single, detached home developments anywhere around here.
I'm in an HOA and the developer is NOT part of it. Don't know where you got that idea. Developers usually want to get their money and move on as soon as possible. The last thing they they want to do is be tied to (potentially, if he built shoddy units) irate customers forever.

I'm in a group of duplex units. We did look at some single-unit ones, too.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #31
Just as confused as you

Quote:

The neighborhood my uncle lives in is across the street from the Lake County fairgrounds in Crown Point, IN. The lots immediately behind the first row of houses are in the HOA. They are all single family dwellings and each house uses up most of the lot. As I pointed out the lot behind his house he purchased for an investment and so no one could build behind him.
With the lot in the HOA, the association will not allow him to plant bushes, trees, flowers or a vegetable garden. He can't even put up a fence to keep the kids out unless he builds a house on it first.

As I said the developer is also the contractor that is written into the contract as the only builder allowed to construct the houses. It was the Crown Point city board that told him he cannot prevent the kids access to the property since there is not a house on it and since the HOA does not allow him to place no trespassing signs there isn't much he can do.

I think he's been lucky there's been no one injured on the lot. He does have property insurance on the lot but it costs him more than the insurance on the property and house he lives in. But still who knows how that would turn out for him if some kid got hurt and the parents decided to sue.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #32

Yet, we all settle in for a couple days under CG rules...
One car, no dogs barking, lights out at 10:00, etc.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #33
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm in an HOA and the developer is NOT part of it. Don't know where you got that idea. Developers usually want to get their money and move on as soon as possible. The last thing they they want to do is be tied to (potentially, if he built shoddy units) irate customers forever.

I'm in a group of duplex units. We did look at some single-unit ones, too.
Interesting. Do you do all your own exterior maintenance or is there a fee for that? As I said, I’m not aware of any HOAs up here but we have different types of condominium developments and they all charge a monthly fee to pay for exterior maintenance. The property management company is frequently owned by the developer.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Interesting. Do you do all your own exterior maintenance or is there a fee for that? As I said, I’m not aware of any HOAs up here but we have different types of condominium developments and they all charge a monthly fee to pay for exterior maintenance. The property management company is frequently owned by the developer.
There's a monthly fee that covers maintenance, snow plowing, grass cutting, building insurance, etc.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #35

Our HOA is separate from the HOA on the street that leads to ours. The entire development was owned by the developer in years past, and the vacant land where our street and HOA is still owned by a family from the Miami area. Lawyers, accountants, and our local guy. One portion of the development was built out many years ago, but our street is just now being developed. Parcels are sold and deeded to the homeowner. Our street has a theme, (Key West Fish Shacks) which if you like, and the covenants surrounding that theme, then the HOA rules aren't an issue. Our dues are $225 per year, which covers common area grass maintenance and street maintenance. The rest is up to the homeowner to take care of themselves. We've become friends with the developer, and he is easy to get along with.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:30 PM   #36

One more post that went into another direction !!!!!
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:51 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
One more post that went into another direction !!!!!
I agree.
Let's get back on the original topic cause this HOA hijack has gone far enough.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #38
I'm Lost

Quote:
Have a friend with a crew cab F350 truck, always clean. The HOA commandos came by enforcing their bylaws which stated no vehicles with commercial business signage on them allowed. So he had the magnetic signs made. Pissed off some HOA folks... but it's the letter of the law. Now the criers tried to amend it and have it changed, but nobody will support it so it stands as is.

Wow, I guess I'm lucky in that I own 145 acres near Temagami and live 10 months of the year at work in Algonquin Park, no HOA, well sort of, just those park wardens who actually banned all campfires for all of July and a week into August. They wouldn't allow us to use our commercial charcoal BBQs even with a fire pump standing by!

Seriously, how can you live with HOAs that make you park a 1/2 ton in the garage or harass you over a company name on your vehicle?

Cold Lake Kid and itat, when I worked out of Midland (ON) as an electrician some years back, Midland had and has a total backyard fire ban, one of my co-workers lived 3 doors down from the fire chief and they both had backyard fires!
I lived out in Tiny Township (bush and farm country) about 10 kms from Midland and we were allowed back yard fires as long as you registered yourself at the township office, I think there was a $5 or $10 annual charge for this.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I agree.
Let's get back on the original topic cause this HOA hijack has gone far enough.
Yep. And I admit I'm a guilty party.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #40
I'm Lost

My apologies as I've contributed to the hi-jack too.

Geoff
2023 F150 Lariat 502A (After all rebates, price protection and dealer discounts, I saved $12,600Cdn. (Cavalcade Ford). If pays to shop dealers! (April 2023)
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote