Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

Winter covers

We are getting ready to battin down the hatches for the winter are there any trailer covers that are recommended over others. Wish we could store in a garage but there is nothing around us and we have a permanent campsite. Any suggestions?
Zeus1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Team

I have tried expensive ones and inexpensive ones and for me the cost per season is roughly the same. The biggest enemy of my covers is the sun. I have had none of the rubbing issues people talk about and the TT looks as good as they day I brought it home ( except for a few stains on the roof from camping). I would get what is on sale as long as it is breathable.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
Site Team

They are more trouble than what they are worth IMHO. I don't want the hassle of putting it on and taking it off every year. Plus the expensive of replacing it every 2-3 years because they never seem to last.

We've had our trailer for going on 6 years now and never had a cover on it. It looks just fine.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

The prior owner still had the winter cover for it said it may only last one or two more years so for now we will use it and see what happens. I only want it covered because the one bed end has a leak that we will fix but probably not until spring
Old 09-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #5

Bought an Adco cover for mine. The straps that go under the trailer to secure it rubbed the paint off in a few spots on the bottom moldings so I no longer use it. Kind of a pain to put on a take off as well so I decided I'll just keep after the cleaning the roof and washing/waxing more often. Sun is not an issue here in NJ as it is out west. If I were out west I'd probably continue to use it.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus1972 View Post
The prior owner still had the winter cover for it said it may only last one or two more years so for now we will use it and see what happens. I only want it covered because the one bed end has a leak that we will fix but probably not until spring
A typical RV cover is not waterproof so it won't keep water out.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
A typical RV cover is not waterproof so it won't keep water out.

Should I put a tarp over that bed door before we put the cover on it.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Should I put a tarp over that bed door before we put the cover on it.
Tarps are not good for extended periods. They are not breathable and can cause mold and mildew underneath.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 10-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #9

Tarp material in general is very abrasive and as the wind ruffles it, the tarp can act like sand paper rubbing against your camper and do more harm then good.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

Thanks everyone we are going to use the cover from the prior owner and no tarp under it. We will be checking on it often so that should help too. Countdown begins soon for next camping season.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #11

Good choice. The typical blue or green tarps will abrade the finish and transfer the tarp color to the trailer body. Used one one time on an boat and it took hours to clean the white gel coat in the spring. The covers are waterproof enough in my experience.

-- Chuck
Old 10-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #12

Thats why I really like this forum everyone gives advice without being judgemental. Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #13

Quote:
We are getting ready to battin down the hatches for the winter are there any trailer covers that are recommended over others. Wish we could store in a garage but there is nothing around us and we have a permanent campsite. Any suggestions?

I have never used a cover on any trailer, my Question is why? Do you ever see them covered at dealers , to me there just another pain and expense

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:20 PM   #14

I have not covered my trailer for the 3 of the 4 years I have had it, one year it was in barn. That being said I don't trust the tent end seals to not leave me with a mess come spring. I am debating ordering a canvas ( breathable ) tarp big enough to cover the roof and the tops of the 3 tent ends. Is a breathable tarp really a necessity ? it would seem to me with the AC and the 2 fan domes on the roof there will be air under the tarp and it won't take a whole lot of wind to circulate said air so what's the point of a breathable tarp ?
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLou80 View Post
I have not covered my trailer for the 3 of the 4 years I have had it, one year it was in barn. That being said I don't trust the tent end seals to not leave me with a mess come spring. I am debating ordering a canvas ( breathable ) tarp big enough to cover the roof and the tops of the 3 tent ends. Is a breathable tarp really a necessity ? it would seem to me with the AC and the 2 fan domes on the roof there will be air under the tarp and it won't take a whole lot of wind to circulate said air so what's the point of a breathable tarp ?
Are you saying that you're leaving the tent ends deployed all winter?[emoji32]
Old 11-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Are you saying that you're leaving the tent ends deployed all winter?[emoji32]
no I am saying I don't trust the foolish seals rockwood uses to not allow water to enter the closed tent end and fester or worse yet spread tot he framing for the next 6 plus months
BigLou80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
no I am saying I don't trust the foolish seals rockwood uses to not allow water to enter the closed tent end and fester or worse yet spread tot he framing for the next 6 plus months
Well, I thought you were because of this statement:

"cover the roof and the tops of the 3 tent ends".
Old 11-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #18

Non-breathable or non-vented covers set up a very nice mildew farm. Ventilation is vital to eliminate moisture and condensation under the cover.

-- Chuck
Old 11-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
If you are worried about it, buy a cheap garden hose, cut a section long enough for the top seal, slit it, then place it over the lip. It will keep water from entering that seal and if you forget to take it off in the spring it will not cause any damage since it is soft.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #20
Brake is on left

We bought an Adco cover and it is on its 3rd deployment. So far the only damage it has suffered is from the 0 Turn tire that clipped the corner. A patch kit took care of it.
Not sure why anyone thinks they are a pain. They only take 30 minutes to put on or take off. Well, maybe 45 to take off and fold up neatly. It takes longer to winterize than cover.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, winter