Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #1

Winterizing Question - Batteries

Hey all... next question for my new '23 233s... regarding Battery Winterizing

I have the double solar panels on the roof and a single battery(non-lithium) - both stock from the factory/dealer.

I will be storing the ROO offsite, but outside & uncovered

For the winter should I:

A. Leave it all be... let the solar keep the battery charged (turn everything off inside)
B. Flip the Battery disconnect switch and walk away
C. Disconnect the Battery and remove to store on a trickle-charger
D. Some other option i havnt thought of...

Thanks again,
MacRoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:03 PM   #2

Are you in an area where the solar panels could be covered with snow for an extended period of time?

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:17 PM   #3

You can call Battleborn and ask them. But for my lifepo4 battery that i built, to store it for winter I have a disconnect to shut it completely off. I also discharge the battery to 12.8v. Lifepo4 are stored at this voltage by the manufacturers. You don't want to charge your battery when it's below 32 degrees so another reason to disconnect it.

Since you store your camper away from home I would take the battery out so it's not stolen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220320_182748.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	281627  
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #4

I would opt for D. Ensure the battery is fully charged. Completely disconnect the battery. Leave it in the RV. Do not bring it into a warm space. It will not need a trickle charger if kept cool.

Or, possibly A, but I am not familiar with your solar system and whether it will properly maintain a battery in storage.

Definitely not B, because there may be parasitic loads that bypass the disconnect switch, and they will discharge the battery. Not C, because my option D is better.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
You can call Battleborn and ask them. But for my lifepo4 battery that i built, to store it for winter I have a disconnect to shut it completely off. I also discharge the battery to 12.8v. Lifepo4 are stored at this voltage by the manufacturers. You don't want to charge your battery when it's below 32 degrees so another reason to disconnect it.

Since you store your camper away from home I would take the battery out so it's not stolen.
You don't want to charge your battery when it's below 32 degrees so another reason to disconnect it.
Please explain that comment
melvinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinjo View Post
You don't want to charge your battery when it's below 32 degrees so another reason to disconnect it.
Please explain that comment
He has Lifepo4 which should not be charged when the temp is too low

UNLESS.. there is a battery heater to keep them warm.

Nice DIY though... planning on doing same when I need to change batteries out.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRoo23 View Post
I have the double solar panels on the roof and a single battery(non-lithium) - both stock from the factory/dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieguy View Post
He has Lifepo4 which should not be charged when the temp is too low

UNLESS.. there is a battery heater to keep them warm.

Nice DIY though... planning on doing same when I need to change batteries out.
I’m confused. In the original post, it states that the battery in the RV is non-lithium. Then two posters reply referencing care of LiFePO4 batteries. Is this relevant or helpful to the original poster in some way?
Old 11-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:

For the winter should I:

A. Leave it all be... let the solar keep the battery charged (turn everything off inside)

Thanks again,
OP says that this is a non-lithium battery. Come on guys, have that second cup of coffee.

I firmly believe option C is the best although the trickle charger only needs to be applied every 3 months or so. LA can be stored fully charged. Many battery manufacturing sources recommend storing in a 50ish environment protected from the weather.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:51 AM   #9

was commenting about the lithiums in a couple of posts down fro OP
Old 11-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Option C modified... simply charge the battery, fully disconnect and leave it right where it is at. (unless crime is a factor) A FLA battery (Flooded Lead Acid which the OP has) will remain charged for many months without putting on ANY kind of charger) No need to put it inside and tuck it in every night.

The comments from those with LiFePO4 batteries are not helpful to your situation but do offer something to keep in the memory banks if you ever switch. As with many threads... one must sort out the things pertinent. Often tough for newbies and those who don't read nor follow along within the entire thread.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Option C modified... simply charge the battery, fully disconnect and leave it right where it is at. (unless crime is a factor) A FLA battery (Flooded Lead Acid which the OP has) will remain charged for many months without putting on ANY kind of charger) No need to put it inside and tuck it in every night.
I agree with you totally, but many people’s desire to do the unnecessary work to drag the battery home, keep it warm, and as a consequence need to charge it, is an old tradition that won’t go away.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #12

To add to FLA battery care lore:

One of the most common mistakes during winter months is storing flooded lead-acid batteries in a discharged state. A discharged battery in extremely cold temperatures will allow the electrolyte to freeze, causing it to expand. Electrolyte expansion can crack the battery case, causing a leak or complete battery failure. A fully charged battery has a freezing point around -80 °F while a discharged battery has a freezing point around 20 °F. By keeping the battery fully charged during the winter months, the electrolyte is less likely to freeze and cause unexpected failures.

So yes, charge your FLA up, disconnect it completely (not just the switch), and leave it for the winter. No, it's not a puppy; No, it doesn't need to be kept warm; and No, it doesn't want to come home and live in the basement for the winter.
15kBTU AC; 12v fridge; 1kW roof-mounted solar panels; 80 amp MPPT charge controller; 3,500w pure sine wave inverter; 30a automatic transfer switch; MicroAir EasyStart, 600ah Chins LiFePo; Honda EU2200i (with Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit) gathering dust in the storage unit.
Rhumblefish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #13

The correct answer is B. (Assuming it totally disconnects the battery from the camper.) Battery structure or type is immaterial.

-- Chuck
Old 11-17-2022, 10:31 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

fully charge them and then totally disconnect. They'll be good for the winter.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumblefish View Post
No, it's not a puppy; No, it doesn't need to be kept warm; and No, it doesn't want to come home and live in the basement for the winter.
That's good humor!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #16
Retired Old Guy

I choose option B, assuming your solar is hooked up like mine and still charges the battery with the disconnect turned to off.
IamProStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #17

I have had 3- 5th wheels that has been store during the winter off site from my home base. I simply remove the battery and bring the battery home, storing said battery in the garage. I use a trickle-charger that monitors the state of the battery and only charges as required. I have never had a battery go bad from being storage in my garage over the winter months.

To me being cheap and not wanting batteries to go bad due to wintertime storage in a trailer. It is simply to remove the battery and bring it home. No big deal to me.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:49 PM   #18

I have factory solar and a non-lithium battery. I have stored it outside and uncovered every winter and have never disconnected the battery. Here in the Denver area it obviously snows, but the snow doesn't last long enough on the solar panel to cause any problems.

I'll get back to everyone if we have a megastorm and the battery croaks...
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:59 PM   #19

Battery will be fine for months if it's fully charged and disconnected from the parasitic draws from the camper. And unless the solar panel is somehow drawing power from the battery when not exposed to light.

No need for battery acid on your clothing or the trunk of your car nor the back strain pulling and then replacing the battery -- a lesson I learned decades ago when I stopped pulling the batteries out of my keel sailboats when on their cradle in the boatyard with their deck 10' off the pavement within sight of a frozen-over Lake Erie. Battery and ladders are not fun!

-- Chuck
Old 11-17-2022, 04:03 PM   #20

Quote:

For the winter should I:

Thanks again,

Do you have 120v that is close to camper if so just go out every 2 months and plug it in for day. If not does your solar keep battery charged if so, top water off and let it work. I have tractors and combine that set outside for months by the shop I go out in Jan or Feb and plug them in for a day and I have no problems.
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, question, winter, winterizing