Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 08:45 PM   #1

2nd Annual Cross Country Trip

Just finished our annual cross country trip. (31 days on the road) Left Phenix City Al May 25. Raced out to the Grand Canyon North Rim. Spent a week hiking and exploring. Moved on to Mount Nebo near Nephi UT. Climbed to 10600 ft of 11984 Ft Mountain. Too much snow to safely continue. Slide back down on our butts in the snow. Spent time in Idaho with family. Went to Montana and then turned around and drove 700 miles in the wrong direction to Seattle to spend fathers day with my son. He gave us a tour of his US Coast Guard Ice breaker the USCG Healy and then 7 days back to Phenix City Al.
Lesson Learned:
1. A 2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn Mega Cab will pull a Rockwood 2891BH fully loaded (11400 lbs.) No discussion necessary, The 10800 foot pass we crossed in southern Colorado is the proof. Still had plenty of reserve power.
2. Solar power is great
3. A 12V residential Fridge. Is also great but needs constant power. If I had a choice I would have an absorption Fridge.
3. Must get the soft start for my 2 AC units. Once I get back into the south my 2 2500 watt generators could not power both AC units. Absolute must to have both AC running to cool the Rig.
4. If your have Air Suspension. Do not turn it off during hook ups and disconnecting. Just be patient. It will lift and lower all by it's self
5. If you want a device to monitor your propane levels. Mopeka propane sensors are great. They mount to the bottom of the tank and are extremely accurate.
6. Blackstone griddles are the best.
7. Met some great people on the trip. A 70 year old couple that still tent camped. A Canadian couple returning from 9 months in Mexico. They do this every year and no they were not the Millers.
8. Diesel is expensive. Highest paid 6.95, Lowest 5.19.
9. And finally this is the Greatest Country on the planet.
Robotics Team Coach
2022 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2891BH
2019 Ram 2500 Bighorn Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel
jdunkmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:27 AM   #2
Always Learning

Sounds like a spectacular time! A breakneck pace, but wonderful none the less.

Have any fun pictures that you want to share?
Old 01-09-2023, 01:10 AM   #3

Headed cross country in June

Thanks for the post. We bought our 2891BH just in time to get it winterized and put in storage.

We will be headed out to Central CA in April and that 10 days will constitute the shake down for the trailer.

In June, we will be headed East for 8 weeks out and back. 3rd trip of this sort. Two with a Solitude and now this 2891BH.

Thank you ever so much for the information you provided. It does help. There is still a lot to learn about this trailer. Reading manuals now.

Dave Homen
GpaDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cross country