Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2021, 12:51 PM   #1

30 Amp Camper Hookup to 50A Service?

Recently I was told by someone at a camper retail store that to avoid possible low surge situations that I should hookup my 30A camper to the 50A service (with an adapter) and then use one of the more cost effective (cheaper) surge protectors. It looks like that would save me possibly a few hundred dollars versus the more expensive surge protectors that would maybe essentially do the same? Would anyone advise to do (or not do) this?
Btennant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

First, welcome to the forums. Tell us more about your rig so we have a better reference. Some, actually a lot, of campgrounds charge more for connecting to 50 amp service. So what you think you might save on the surge protection may be a wash in the long run. I haven't ever used a surge protector in the 16 years I've been camping. I'm not saying it's wise or anything, but I've just never really given it much thought (even reading a couple of threads on it over the years). But if you have some sensitive equipment that you are worried about, maybe it's better if you just plunk out the money now for the surge protection and have it done right from the start.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more (and probably better) sage advice. Again, welcome to the forums, and hope to see you down the road!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:56 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I have never used a surge protector, and I have been a TT owner for about 50 years. Yes, I know that I should use one.
I am sure you will get excellent advice here on the forum.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:11 AM   #4

There is no difference in surge protection requirement between 50 amp service and 30 amo service. You are better protected by plugging into a 30 amp receptacle because the circuit breaker will trip at 30 amps rather than 50 amps.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Brake is on left

You can plug into either. It really doesn't matter but there is no benefit to using a 50 for your 30.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:52 AM   #6

Since everything but the AC and Microwave run off 12V I'm not sure what a surge protector will protect.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #7

you raise several issues that need to be answered.

if your camper is wired for 30 amps get a protection 30 amp protection device! this will allow you to plug into a 30 amp pedestal using your camper shore power cord or a 50 amp pedestal using your cord and an adapter. in both cases the 30 amp protection device will operate just fine using your camper 30 amp cord.

you mention a surge protector. do you mean surge protector or a full ems protection device? if you are going to get one i would recommend the full ems protection device. they are more expensive but they protect against many improper electrical conditions. a surge protector simple protects against surges. it may indicate an improperly wired pedestal but takes no action if it discovers one. it does nothing about high or low voltages. the full ems provides the same surge protection and will interrupt the current from the pedestal so that it does not reach you camper should it find an improperly wired pedestal or high / low voltage.

and yes there are lots of people that plug into a pedestal without any form of surge or ems protection and have not experienced any electrical problems. the decision to utilize such a device is up to you.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #8
Site Team

The 30A outlet in a campground pedestal is essentially one side of the 50A outlet ( see photo), therefore any surge on one will likely also be on the other. In the past some people recommended using the 50A connection with an adapter as the 50A outlet it self was traditionally in better condition due to a fewer RVs equipped with 50A service. This is quickly changing with the ever increasing electric demand in newer RVs. This change in electric demand has also changed the importance of a good protection device. There are two basic types of protection devices. A surge protector and an EMS. A surge protector is designed to protect against voltage surges on a circuit. An EMS will provide surge protection but will also protect against more common faults such as high or low voltage as well as some of the common wiring faults in RV. Probably the most common issues seen today are low voltage and open neutrals. My recommendation is to stick with the 30A connection and use the money you save on the adapter for a good EMS.
Attached Images

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike134 View Post
Since everything but the AC and Microwave run off 12V I'm not sure what a surge protector will protect.
this all depends on what type of camper you have and how much bling it has.

for example, our trailer uses 120 volt ac for:
converter
residential refrigerator
a/c
multiple tv's
satellite antenna control box
fireplace heater
ceiling fan & light
water heater
microwave
cell phone charging stations
computer chargers
vacuum cleaner charger

these devices are almost always plugged into the trailer 120 volt power system. many of them have control boards built into them that may get damaged by bad incoming power. we have a full ems system installed to monitor that power. we haven't lost anything in the trailer due to bad power. we did lose a refrigerator control board at our house due to a nearby lightning strike. we now have a whole house surge protector and the house distribution panel as well as individual surge protection devices on many individual devices.

the more stuff you connect the greater the chances that something will get damaged should you have an electrical problem.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The 30A outlet in a campground pedestal is essentially one side of the 50A outlet ( see photo), therefore any surge on one will likely also be on the other. In the past some people recommended using the 50A connection with an adapter as the 50A outlet it self was traditionally in better condition due to a fewer RVs equipped with 50A service. This is quickly changing with the ever increasing electric demand in newer RVs. This change in electric demand has also changed the importance of a good protection device. There are two basic types of protection devices. A surge protector and an EMS. A surge protector is designed to protect against voltage surges on a circuit. An EMS will provide surge protection but will also protect against more common faults such as high or low voltage as well as some of the common wiring faults in RV. Probably the most common issues seen today are low voltage and open neutrals. My recommendation is to stick with the 30A connection and use the money you save on the adapter for a good EMS.
Good post and I agree. If you have a 30A unit, get a 30A surge protector or EMS. (We installed the built in Progressive Industries EMS on our 30A unit.)

However, I would still get a 30A female to 50A male adapter to have the option to connect to the 50A circuit, if needed. They are pretty inexpensive and cheap insurance to have along in case of a power pedestal problem or added power needs. For instance, our unit will pop the 30A internal breaker if we use our electric skillet on a camper outlet and the AC or microwave get turned on. I run an extension cord to the pedestal (30A or 15A circuit) for any outside electrical devices to avoid that.

We carry a series of adapters and have used them all:
30A F to 50A M dogbone
15A F to 30A M dogbone
30A F to 15A M plug

2020 Ford F250 CCSB 4x4 7.3 (Gas) - Sold
2019 Rockwood Roo 23BDS hybrid - Sold
2005 Fleetwood Valor (Sun Valley) Sold
azfansinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #11

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
this all depends on what type of camper you have and how much bling it has.

for example, our trailer uses 120 volt ac for:
converter
residential refrigerator
a/c
multiple tv's
satellite antenna control box
fireplace heater
ceiling fan & light
water heater
microwave
cell phone charging stations
computer chargers
vacuum cleaner charger

these devices are almost always plugged into the trailer 120 volt power system. many of them have control boards built into them that may get damaged by bad incoming power. we have a full ems system installed to monitor that power. we haven't lost anything in the trailer due to bad power. we did lose a refrigerator control board at our house due to a nearby lightning strike. we now have a whole house surge protector and the house distribution panel as well as individual surge protection devices on many individual devices.

the more stuff you connect the greater the chances that something will get damaged should you have an electrical problem.
X2 ^^

There's actually a LOT more stuff on 120 VAC than there is on 12 VDC, as clearly listed above. A surge suppressor is definitely a wise choice.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfansinnc View Post
I run an extension cord to the pedestal (30A or 15A circuit) for any outside electrical devices to avoid that.
You need to be careful doing this if the Pedestal is 30A only. In many cases the line from the main distribution panel is protected by another 30A breaker in that panel. If you draw more than 30A from the pedestal, you will trip the distribution panel breaker. In most cases it is in a locked location requiring campground maint to reset it.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
It will also protect your Converter. Which, well you know charges you battery and or powers your 12 VDC stuff. So theoretically a surge could damage not only your 120 VAC stuff but all your 12 VDC stuff.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #14

Since a surge suppressor has to be replaced after saving your equipment (if it's really a quality surge suppressor) how many replacements have you bought over the years?
Old 08-19-2021, 04:10 PM   #15

Have never used a surge protector. Either by luck or slim chance of needing one, I'm neutral on that issue.
However a 50A to 30A dog bone was a help last trip. 30A breaker at the camp hookup tripped many times. When resetting it felt weak. Switched to the 50A with dog bone to camper and all was fine. Advised the caretaker when leaving to check the breaker at that site.
Freetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Since a surge suppressor has to be replaced after saving your equipment (if it's really a quality surge suppressor) how many replacements have you bought over the years?
An EMS will shut down your power(without sacrificing itself) in many situations, therefore no need to replace it. Mine has shut down on numerous occasions for both over and under current.
We camp in 100 degree plus temperatures and I am the only one in the group of six campers that uses both an auto former and an EMS. I am also the only one that has not replaced his air conditioner. That makes me believe that shutting down due to low current or boosting my power when needed has helped. That's just my belief though.

Tags
camper, service