Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
CLOSE!

Eddie would definitely park his cars on the lawn. My guess is in the south somewhere.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #122
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Eddie would definitely park his cars on the lawn. My guess is in the south somewhere.
Good call. By-God-Alabama.

Actually, dad wasn't too happy about the cars on the lawn. 2 of the 3 got moved to driveway and street for the duration of our 2-week stay.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good call. By-God-Alabama.

Actually, dad wasn't too happy about the cars on the lawn. 2 of the 3 got moved to driveway and street for the duration of our 2-week stay.
I take it there are no sprinklers?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM   #124

Too funny, not only the lawn, the front lawn! lol
brewnut44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #125
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I take it there are no sprinklers?
Nope.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #126

Had electrician and new panel box our original is full with add on's over 20 years ... camper is parked outside of same wall so just punched thru added 50amp ... need it here in Fl we keep air 86 degrees to control humidity ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #127

30 amp Plug at Home?

Ok there are a lot of post here and I have to admit I have not read them all. Maybe this was mentioned and maybe not.

I don’t know anything about your rig. I don’t know how big your AC is or anything, so please excuse me if you have some huge glamping mobile with 5 tons of air conditioning on it.

With that said, I just want to point out most TT have small units around 13000 BTU’s. That is the size of a large window unit from Lowe’s. Now I will give you this some of those unit are 220 volts and the amps are split between 2 legs. But that is a whole another conversation.

With out getting into a lot of details. I have a 34 foot TT with 2 AC’s. I plug it into a 120 volt 20 amp outlet on my front porch with a dog bone adaptor. I turn on the fridge and the air conditioning while we get everything loaded and set up. One AC only pulls 16 amps and my fridge pulled less then 1 amp. I have ran it like that for 2 days and never tripped a breaker. If I try to run both AC’s it will trip it almost instantly.

Maybe your easiest and cheapest solution is to find another outlet that doesn’t have a load on it already. Loads like a microwave or coffee pot or large deep freeze would take from what you could use for the TT.

Hope this helps. Happy camping.

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #128

After seeing some of the prices you all have paid I will definitely be installing a 30amp for my trailer myself. I have an unused breaker in the box underneath the main panel on the side of my house which is also right where I want the outlet installed. Literally right there. The cheapest quote I got was $800! Of course I live in Panama City, FL which is still recovering from Hurricane Michael a year and a half ago. Electricians are charging outrageous prices because have to pay it.
24_Byron_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #129

I installed my own. Put a breaker in the box and weatherproof receptical box on the home exterior and ran wire. Not a big deal with only a few household tools and common sense. Lots of vidoes on YouTube on installation or electrical installation books available with step by step guidelines.
All the supplies you need can be found at any Home Depot, Menards, Lowes or similar stores.
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24_Byron_fan View Post
After seeing some of the prices you all have paid I will definitely be installing a 30amp for my trailer myself. I have an unused breaker in the box underneath the main panel on the side of my house which is also right where I want the outlet installed. Literally right there. The cheapest quote I got was $800! Of course I live in Panama City, FL which is still recovering from Hurricane Michael a year and a half ago. Electricians are charging outrageous prices because have to pay it.
Just be certain you install a 120 volt circuit, NOT a 240 volt!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
Well, the code was written with personal safety in mind, and this item is essential for personal safety when using high amp electrical service in an outdoors location.....
I have worked at a ACE hardware for 10 years, and I work at a Lowe’s. I have a working relationship with a number of professionals from plumbers to electricians and more that spans well over a decade. I have talked to quite a number of “do it myselfers” who want to “save a buck” , which is great... if you know what you are doing...! For those who are doing electrical work, I ask if this one item is included in their list of items to buy. I have had a few people ask me “what is that?”
My response is: If you do not know what “that” is and what it does, you should NOT be doing this project.
I'm surprised I didn't see this thread last year when it popped up, it something I would usually follow.

OK, so someone has pushed this thread to the top of the list now. I see you have lots of posts over the years. I'm not a professional electrician, not even close. I have re-wired two of my houses (meters, main panel, subs,.....) so I know a little bit more about this than the average weekend warrior. I have no clue what "that" is. So after 8-9 months now can you let us in on what it is so we can all be safer?

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
I'm surprised I didn't see this thread last year when it popped up, it something I would usually follow.

OK, so someone has pushed this thread to the top of the list now. I see you have lots of posts over the years. I'm not a professional electrician, not even close. I have re-wired two of my houses (meters, main panel, subs,.....) so I know a little bit more about this than the average weekend warrior. I have no clue what "that" is. So after 8-9 months now can you let us in on what it is so we can all be safer?

Jim M.
We asked Villagerjjm long ago (my post #102 to his post #101); we got silence in response.

Maybe it's beer or life insurance.

I've been installing electrical stuff since 1969, but I guess I'll never know what Villagerjjm believes should be on my next list.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #133

Yeah, I noticed the few responses and guesses. Beer & Life insurance is as good as any (I prefer beer).

I'm hoping Villagerjjm responds finally. He/She is still actively posting in recent days. I'd really like to know. I don't install outlets daily but I do it often enough to want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Jim M.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #134

SORRY!!! Honestly, this has not come up in my response list! Not even in the spam folder! Sorry for that! The one item I am referring to is a GFCI breaker and/or GFCI outlet. I am scrolling back through some of the posts.... I do not see anyone making any mention of it! Not considered to be an important electrical component perhaps?
They are one thing that would be at the top of my list if I was rigging some new electric outdoors.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #135

Thank You Villagerjmm
Old 04-27-2020, 03:07 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
SORRY!!! Honestly, this has not come up in my response list! Not even in the spam folder! Sorry for that! The one item I am referring to is a GFCI breaker and/or GFCI outlet. I am scrolling back through some of the posts.... I do not see anyone making any mention of it! Not considered to be an important electrical component perhaps?
They are one thing that would be at the top of my list if I was rigging some new electric outdoors.
Thanks. OK, if someone wiring an outside outlet does not know what a GFCI is I would be a little bit worried. Certainly for a typical 15/20 amp outlet its been required by code for 30+ years and every single DIY "how to" video/book clearly covers this.

For the 30/50 amp RV circuits I don't think its required, and to be honest I never thought about it. Not sure what I think about this.

Jim M.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:05 PM   #137

Apparently, new 2020 code says that RV pedestals, 30Amp and 50Amp outlets are specifically excluded from GFCI requirements since they are feeder circuits, not branch circuits. However, the 20 amp outlet must still have GFCI.

https://www.go-usg.com/t-publication-022019.aspx
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 AM   #138

35 yr Master Electrician Response

I just found this thread and read through every post. It has been entertaining for sure, and also scary reading through some of this.

Folks, do the right thing, hire this job out to a professional. And if you are going to run your AC put in the proper 30 and/or 50 amp receptacles. Have it done right and proper and you won't have any regrets.

I've seen so much cobbled electrical crap in my life and I can't fathom why some people insist on doing this kind of stuff without any knowledge or training. This is a trade unlike the others, improper installations can and do kill, in either of two ways. Shock or fire.

And YouTube is not proper training.

Stay safe out there...
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #139

I don't know why you think it's 'scary'. Electrical is certainly something many of us can do, and have done, quite easily. Those who are that worried about it aren't going to be doing it themselves, anyway.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I don't know why you think it's 'scary'. Electrical is certainly something many of us can do, and have done, quite easily. Those who are that worried about it aren't going to be doing it themselves, anyway.
To compare it to plumbing, with electricity, you can't see the start of a leak, but when it fails you may see it or smell it. There are a TON of hacks out there that I'm sure struggle to change a light bulb and I doubt they'd be able to sleep if they actually knew or understood the risks they are putting themselves and their families in by taking the short cuts. If you aren't 100% sure of what you are doing, why would you attempt to do something that if you mess up could cost you thousands in repairs?

TT: 2020 26' Hemisphere 26BHHL
TV: 2020 GMC 2500HD 4x4
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote