Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #241

Something else I'll do with my outside kitchen: add an overflow to the sink. Water went off at the campground this weekend WHILE I was using the outside sink. Wasn't sure if the faucet was off...it wasn't. Valves closed on holding tanks. Water came on sometime in the night. You figure out the rest. 3am water flooding floor in aft end of trailer. Yeah.
Salem312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:01 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
Is your kitchen vented to the inside of your trailer?
Not that I am aware of. Where would the vent be?
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #243
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcbrownie View Post
Not that I am aware of. Where would the vent be?
I had just heard that it was in behind the fridge and it is a vent that looks like the roof vent somewhere under the bunkbed on the kitchen side of the trailer.

Some guys were complaining because bugs could just fly right through the vent into your trailer.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #244
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem312 View Post
Something else I'll do with my outside kitchen: add an overflow to the sink. Water went off at the campground this weekend WHILE I was using the outside sink. Wasn't sure if the faucet was off...it wasn't. Valves closed on holding tanks. Water came on sometime in the night. You figure out the rest. 3am water flooding floor in aft end of trailer. Yeah.
that's a great suggestion
Old 07-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #245

I only turn mine off for storage and I make sure it is dry and cracked open at that point. While in use my kitchen door may only be closed for 6-7 hours per night before opened again
Zecrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:51 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem312 View Post
Mine trips the 30 amp breaker with everything on electric. I think these rigs should have been wired 50 amp as standard.
Mine too. Failure of simple math at the engineering level.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #247
I go RV'ing not Camping

A couple mods to share with you guys

The shower drip preventer. This has been working good. No water on the floor after a shower.

And this little baby has been making showers a whole lot better.

Oxygenics bodyspa shower head. Lots of pressure way better than the cheapie the factory put on there.

A couple other mods that I didn't take any pictures of. I can if anyone is interested.

1. I also upgraded my Queen Short mattress to a full size Rv Queen mattress. It was hard to get a picture but I had to remake the frame for the bed. I added a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to support the extra weight of the mattress at the foot of the bed. We also put a 3 inch memory foam mattress on top and I have been sleeping really good.

The only downside to this is the struts on the storage underneath the bed can't hold the weight of the mattress and the weight of the 3/4 inch frame on top of the existing frame. I will one day look into upgrading the struts, but we rarely use the storage so it hasn't been an issue.

2. I built some homemade Awning support poles out of some sherlock adjustable painters poles and a 4 inch saddle tee from a local irrigation store. We went through a thunderstorm on Friday and the awning held nice and tight. I am pretty pleased with the results.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
A couple mods to share with you guys

The shower drip preventer. This has been working good. No water on the floor after a shower.

And this little baby has been making showers a whole lot better.

Oxygenics bodyspa shower head. Lots of pressure way better than the cheapie the factory put on there.

A couple other mods that I didn't take any pictures of. I can if anyone is interested.

1. I also upgraded my Queen Short mattress to a full size Rv Queen mattress. It was hard to get a picture but I had to remake the frame for the bed. I added a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to support the extra weight of the mattress at the foot of the bed. We also put a 3 inch memory foam mattress on top and I have been sleeping really good.

The only downside to this is the struts on the storage underneath the bed can't hold the weight of the mattress and the weight of the 3/4 inch frame on top of the existing frame. I will one day look into upgrading the struts, but we rarely use the storage so it hasn't been an issue.

2. I built some homemade Awning support poles out of some sherlock adjustable painters poles and a 4 inch saddle tee from a local irrigation store. We went through a thunderstorm on Friday and the awning held nice and tight. I am pretty pleased with the results.
Where did you get the guards from. Been looking into these.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #249
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecrom View Post
Where did you get the guards from. Been looking into these.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You should be able to find an US equivalent on amazon.com.

Hope that helps,
Old 07-25-2016, 11:00 AM   #250

Nice! Thanks
Now if we could get an AC vent in the bathroom and a speaker in master bed we'd be in good shape lol - what were they thinking?
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #251
I go RV'ing not Camping

I can't believe that I forgot this mod.

I put in the blue-streak chem system on the toilet.

This thing is beautiful. No poo smell at all, the toilet is nice and clean. The baby powder smell is pretty good. I love the system.

I just dumped my black tank and it came out clear water so it does a good job breaking down the waste also.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #252

I have had the blue streak for several months and love it. It does a great job at eliminating (or masking) the smell.
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #253

Salem Hemisphere 2016 312Qbud problems?

Hi, I posted in Welcome Mat and Salem forum. I'm new here and looking for help! Husband and I are looking at a 2016 Salem Hemisphere TT model 312Qbud. I found recall notices for 2016 FR Salem's, but does that include ALL 2016 Salem's, including the 2016 Salem Hemisphere model? We really like the 312qbud, just need to know if the recall does include the model we like, what additional considerations/questions do we need to be asking of the dealer?
lkita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #254
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkita View Post
Hi, I posted in Welcome Mat and Salem forum. I'm new here and looking for help! Husband and I are looking at a 2016 Salem Hemisphere TT model 312Qbud. I found recall notices for 2016 FR Salem's, but does that include ALL 2016 Salem's, including the 2016 Salem Hemisphere model? We really like the 312qbud, just need to know if the recall does include the model we like, what additional considerations/questions do we need to be asking of the dealer?
I looked through all the recalls and none were showing for the Hemisphere line, so you are good there.

Make sure you get the dealer to give you the information on the second year of Forest River warranty for $150.

Get a 15,000btu air conditioner, or get 2 air conditioners. Try and get the trailer wired for 50amp service. There are alot of systems that run on electricity on this model trailer and some of us are having problems with blowing breakers running to many appliances at the same time.

The only other advice that I can give is don't give the dealer any money until they have fixed all the items that you find are broken or not working when you do your pdi with the dealer. You can find the checklist on this forum of what to go over when you pdi the trailer.

The dealer may try to rush you through this process and they will also want to have you sign off on the trailer. Please don't do this until they have fixed everything and you will have a fantastic experience.

If the dealer will not let you do a thorough inspection on the trailer and take your time doing it. RUN

Other than that, our family loves our 312qbud it's a great model!!
Old 07-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #255

Hey there and welcome. I can echo jgourlie and emphasize a couple points. Like the electric portion. If I did it again I'd get 50 amp service with 2 ac's. I'm in south MS and even the 15k ac unit doesn't keep up in the midst of the day. Looks like you're in Texas so you likely see at least a few hot humid days out of the year. I currently have my trailer in the shop for a round of warranty repairs. Nothing major, mostly quality issues from the factory and cosmetic corrections. Overall we're pleased with the 312 QBUD. It's a bit heavy, I'm towing with a 3/4 ton diesel and wouldn't consider towing this rig with a half ton. I know some do but I wouldnt. Hope we gave you some useful info. Enjoy.
Salem312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:03 PM   #256

Great advice

Thank you both so much. Great advice from both of you. With months of 100 degree weather here on the gulf coast the 2 AC's along with the 50 amp is going to be must. I feel confident our dealer will let us do a pretty thorough walk through, heck last time I checked in at the office and told them I just wanted to look and they were fine with me wandering the lot so I guess I could go take some time to go through the 312 with a fine tooth comb. Dealer is family owned and has been in business a long time and we were very happy with our Shasta buy, so hoping this transaction and purchase of the 312 will be just as great. Husband just bought a 1997 Ford F350 7.3 diesel so confident we have the power to tow it.
lkita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #257
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkita View Post
Thank you both so much. Great advice from both of you. With months of 100 degree weather here on the gulf coast the 2 AC's along with the 50 amp is going to be must. I feel confident our dealer will let us do a pretty thorough walk through, heck last time I checked in at the office and told them I just wanted to look and they were fine with me wandering the lot so I guess I could go take some time to go through the 312 with a fine tooth comb. Dealer is family owned and has been in business a long time and we were very happy with our Shasta buy, so hoping this transaction and purchase of the 312 will be just as great. Husband just bought a 1997 Ford F350 7.3 diesel so confident we have the power to tow it.
Sounds like you are all set
Old 07-28-2016, 08:40 PM   #258

So I have what appears to be a bubble in my laminate. Dealer has sent pictures to forest river about warranty work. Forest River denied the claim saying it was the plate for slide topper mount. Anyone else have this?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecrom View Post
So I have what appears to be a bubble in my laminate. Dealer has sent pictures to forest river about warranty work. Forest River denied the claim saying it was the plate for slide topper mount. Anyone else have this?
Is it solid when you push on it or does it give like it is hallow? Also do not trust the dealer. Lookup and call the hemisphere brand rep for forest river. They can see and speak to all claims. Bet a shiny nickel they never heard from dealer.
Texas outdoors by way of a PA farmboy.
ChiefGreedyOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:42 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGreedyOfficer View Post
Is it solid when you push on it or does it give like it is hallow? Also do not trust the dealer. Lookup and call the hemisphere brand rep for forest river. They can see and speak to all claims. Bet a shiny nickel they never heard from dealer.
They bubble is solid. Was not there when I did pdi back in October. Did call forest river themselves and they denied it off of pictures and description by dealer. Not sure where else to go.

Tags
air conditioner, modifications, outdoor kitchen, outdoor tv, television