Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #1

5'er shopping - real world feedback/reviews

We currently have a Tracer 3200 BHT, and we're starting to look at the 5'ers for a possible upgrade next spring. We've looked at a dozen or so from a lot of makes, (open range, silverback, montona, cedar creek, redwood, solitude, crusader) have been the ones we've looked at.

After looking at the cedar creek and the silverback, they look almost the same, what are the differences in those two?

I have an outside kitchen now and really like that, however, we don't want bunk house, so are there any 5'ers with an outside kitchen that's not a bunk house?

I'm looking to get some real world feedback/reviews from owners of any of these rigs. I know each one is different in its own way, and they each of pros and cons, but some real world current owners feedback would be helpful.

thanks
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

My understanding is that the Cedar Creek is higher level of quality. I don't know if that is true, but I can tell you that my wife, the dogs and I love our 2014 Cedar Creek 38CK. I found that the contact person at the manufacturer for warranty work has been very helpful. As noted in my other posts, customer service has been awsome! I don't know where you live, but my dealings with the rep for the east coast coast has been great. The service department of the dealer where I purchased has been helpful when they could. This has been a very busy time for them.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #3

I am not an expert. However, I haven't seen any 5'ers with an outdoor kitchen. The 5er I have, has a sidekick RV grill on it though. It really is handy. The grill slips on a mount on the side of the trailer. Then, it has a propane cord with a quick attach. In 30 seconds, the grill is mounted firmly on the trailer and hooked up to propane. It also has a side table that mounts next to it very easily too.

SALES PITCH - my 5er is for sale! The model of my 5er is listed below in my signature. A full for sale ad for it is listed in the for sale section of the forum.
- See 'ya on the road! Typically on 146.520 for the other traveling hams!
farrelltravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGREG View Post
I found that the contact person at the manufacturer for warranty work has been very helpful.
We've experienced that with out Tracer since we had it, the manu customer service is awesome to work with and the warranty work has gone smoother then my warranty work on my truck.

I live in CT, and its somewhat limited to RV dealers with a good inventory to look at and compare.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

There are quite a few manufacturers that are offering an outside kitchen without a bunkhouse now

They usually have a rear living area with an entertainment center in a door side slideout with the exterior kitchen on the back side of it
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Krusing Since 1975

Send a message via Yahoo to skydoctor
Silverback 37bh

Have a 2014 Silverback. HD some issues but factor took care of it. Great coach. Have outside kitchen. Best 5r (40 years camping) I have had
skydoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #7

Own a silverback and have been to the factory. Cedar Creek and Silverback are made side by side in the same factory. Basic constuction is the same. The difference is quality of interior and accessories. I consider my Silverback to be a budget light weight 5r. The RK model had an outside kitchen but not well designed. If I had to do over I would buy a 1 or 2 year old high end rig.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Prime Time Crusader just came out with the 297rsk and it has an outside kitchen with no bunks. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437861414.989072.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  42.7 KB

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 07-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1437861478.190338.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	84155

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 07-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #10

Ours is a Sierra 360PDEK. Rear living room, outside kitchen with a tv that drops down from the kitchen and a rear deck with sliding glass doors. FR also makes the model without the rear deck unfortunately I cannot remember its name
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437863285570.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	84157  
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

We love our Heritage Glen!! The quality is outstanding! They have several floor plans!
seicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:38 AM   #12
Love RVing

As mentioned above, worth looking at pre owned units. We purchased a 2013 36CKTS at a dealer in Myrtle Beach Memorial Day weekend for about 1/2 List of similar 2015.
Traded in 2006 34CKTS that we had modified for personal preferences and hauled 80k miles around this beautiful country. This week makes six excursions and we like it more each trip. We almost got the Silverback, I like the vaulted slides eliminating slide Floppers in high winds when traveling out west.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #13

We recently acquired a 2011 Crusader 320 rlt, and are on our third voyage, a week long trip to Cape Cod. Went straight from tent to 5er. Aside from the typical "shake down" problems we love it, especially when it rains. I found the 5er easier to tow than my old 21' boat. I think the trick is to get a big TV. Mine's a F-350, Super Duty, V10 gas. Truck weighs in at 8,000 lbs. Crusader about 11,500 lbs. Trucks max towing capacity is 2300 lbs. ,so truck can handle the 5er with ease. Ideal for the Crusader is 4 adults. Lots of space. We've done time share studios that felt more crowded. Check out the form. It's a great source of info, especially when you get to the: "what the...." discovery phase.
rovinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #14

38RD

Cedar Creek 38RD has an awesome outdoor kitchen. Frige, microwave, sink & detachable stove!
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
After looking at the cedar creek and the silverback, they look almost the same, what are the differences in those two?

I'm looking to get some real world feedback/reviews from owners of any of these rigs. I know each one is different in its own way, and they each of pros and cons, but some real world current owners feedback would be helpful.

thanks
There are several major difference between the two that are not readily apparent until you go through them.

One is the basement storage area: The Cedar Creek ha a flat floor were as the Silverback has a raised floor. The CC has a 100 CU FT more storage space than the Silverback does.

Water heater, the CC has a 12 gallon versus a 10 gallon for the Silverback.

The CC has a two hanging clothes bags in the wall closet in the bedroom that is on the bathroom common wall. MY DW likes this, she also stores her IRON in this wall closet with outlet plug.

The slides are different; the Silverback has an arch roof where the CC has flat roof. I prefer the flat roof because I like the slide toppers in keeping water and debris off of the roof along with a cooler slide roof in the summer heat.

The Silverbacks units have a lower GVWR then the Cedar Creek units of the same size units; Why?

I am not totally sure but I think the 18 cu-ft residential refrigerator is standard in the CC trailer.

The Cedar Creek has day/night shades that roll up versus the pleated shades in the Silverback trailers. Similar to the MCD shades that you see in motor homes. The DW did not want the pleated shades because they let in pinholes of light in the early morning hours with the sun rising.

We looked at both an came to the conclusion that the Cedar Creek 5th wheel was a better buy for our needs.

Tags
5er