Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 10:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
I ordered the coach ready for a generator as toy haulers have gas tanks and I wanted to be able to easily access fuel when i did install a generator. Since the dealer wanted $500.00+ for a factory installed small tv, I was ready to try finding a generator on my own for less $$. I ran the Yamaha generator sitting on the trailer tongue, so for me the issue is one of design. Is it safe to run a generator mounted under your sleeping compartment with the chance of getting gassed by your won rig?
You still have me confused. If you are getting fumes inside when mounted on the tongue you would defiantly get them from a compartment under your bed. That is, unless it is designed to be mounted there such as one for a MH. That is probably what the dealer would have installed and you wouldn't have had any problems.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #22

NO ! ! ! unless you have the exhaust plumed outside the trailer..........as I said in a previous post I do have an RV generator for sale and I am in Red Lodge Mt
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #23

There is a kit to raise th exhaust to roof level
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #24

BE VERY CAREFUL! Many people have a very bad habit of going cheap, and this is one spot where doing so will KILL YOU ALL! it has to have a completely sealed compartment from the rest of the coach (exhaust, gas odors) the exhaust has to be plumbed far away from living areas, most if not all portable generators do not have a cooling fan big enough to pull in cooling air from inside a compartment, and many other things to work on (invertors, wiring, breakers) it is not easy to make this work safely!
So please be safe and do not cut corners on this job!!
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL! Many people have a very bad habit of going cheap, and this is one spot where doing so will KILL YOU ALL! it has to have a completely sealed compartment from the rest of the coach (exhaust, gas odors) the exhaust has to be plumbed far away from living areas, most if not all portable generators do not have a cooling fan big enough to pull in cooling air from inside a compartment, and many other things to work on (invertors, wiring, breakers) it is not easy to make this work safely!
This would be my point.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
I think we are too late with our warnings. See his post above. He wouldn't give a dealer 500 to install one. I spent 4 times that for a good 3000 watt portable Honda. Harbor Freight is the only place I know of that will beat 500 and they are very noisy. Besides everyone on here that has bought one has said they only last one to two years then die.

Jim
Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #27

5th Wheel Generator instal

I see that there are still some comments on this topic so I will add my comments too. We had an older Sprinter with the Onan 4000 installed in the front compartment. It was difficult to sleep at night due to the noise and vibrations as well the exhaust could enter through the bed slide. Our next RV was a 2004 Mountaineer but the front compartment was too narrow to fit the generator, so a rear bumper install was designed. The generator box frame is just bolted to the bumper frame on our 2010 Silverback RE and now our 2013 Silverback RL. The FR Engineers may frown on this installation however Mr. O has ridden this way for over 40K Miles. If we have a 15 or 30 Amp power source, I plug it into the generator box which also has the transfer switch so that the generator can be used too if there is poor voltage. The power is then run via a 30 Amp extension cord in conduit along the frame entering through the floor behind the cupboard drawers to an outside plug. With this set up on our travels to AZ, Mr. O runs all night powering the furnace and an infra red heater. Pic #5 is just before we leave for AZ.

Central SK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	369.3 KB
ID:	80017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	80018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 3.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	80019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	80020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen 5.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	80021  

grandpacsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #28

Nice setup
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #29
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Works if you do not have a new camper cause it will void the warranty. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Works if you do not have a new camper cause it will void the warranty. Later RJD
Delivery of our new Silverback was delayed due to the US November National Elections, however the generator box was installed forthwith and was operational on our December trip to AZ.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #31

When I bought my V cross 365 the wife wanted a generator installed. She's my little pepper! Lol. I had an Onan 5500 quiet gen with 18 gallon marine tank. The dealer did the install and put in the auto power switch, anti vibration plate, sound proofing,ran exhaust, ect. They did an awesome job. All what they did was 1500 while I supplied the generator and tank. The Onans that are for RVs have the proper airflow and are much quieter to run. Good luck!
TV: 2016 GMC 3500 Denali - Motor Ops Tuned
Days Camped 2016: 28
Days Camped 2017: 25 so far
DocGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #32

DocGTO - do you have some pics of the installation?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #33

This photo shows what I did to hold my Honda 3000IS generator. I've painted it black to match the bumper. I had a welder fabricator with 30 years experience come to the house and do it for me. I supplied the material and he charged me $120 for the installation.

I haven't had it on the road since I had done but I will shortly I hope. If it holds up well I may put a platform all across for added storage such as the hoses and electrical cords. I am trying to keep the weight to a minimum as it is on a 2008 8280SS ultralight 5th wheel.

You can see on the left the cover for the spare tire. It is just fastened to the bumper with two u bolts. I am going to remove it which will cut down on any vibration on the bumper. I can always put the spare tire in the back of my truck.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5612-1.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	83134  
Old 07-17-2015, 08:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpacsf View Post
DocGTO - do you have some pics of the installation?
Give me a few and I'll take some pics.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #35

You ask and shall receive. Sorry for the color but it is so bright out, the sunlight off the grass gives everything a green tint. You can see in the pic that we have the Onan 5500 on the passenger side and the 18 gallon marine tank on the driver's side. It all fits perfect in the storage compartment. I usually keep a funnel and some ethonol stabilizer in that area too. The dealer made sure the compartment was insulated with a flame retardtant material and did all the wiring, put in the automatic power switch, ran the exhaust and mounted the generator base. Works great and is pretty damn quiet.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
...I haven't had it on the road since I had done but I will shortly I hope. If it holds up well I may put a platform all across for added storage such as the hoses and electrical cords. I am trying to keep the weight to a minimum as it is on a 2008 8280SS ultralight 5th wheel...Jim
Regardless of how well it is welded to the bumper, the bumper is 16 ga tubing and the weak points are where the bumper is attached to the frame. I would imagine someone will find a generator along the road sometime in the near future.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2015, 09:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Regardless of how well it is welded to the bumper, the bumper is 16 ga tubing and the weak points are where the bumper is attached to the frame. I would imagine someone will find a generator along the road sometime in the near future.
Ouch!
Old 07-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #38

Quote:
That looks like the frame tore at the weld, not the bumper.

Jim
Old 07-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #39
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
That looks like the frame tore at the weld, not the bumper.

Jim
Regardless, the frame is only 0.075" thick and the end result is the same whether it breaks at the frame, in the weld or the tube.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #40

Quote:
The metal should never tear at a weld like your photo. I would guess there was a lot of vibration hanging off the bumper. This is why I am removing the spare tire carrier from the bumper. Weight alone can cause metal fatigue vut if is bouncing around, vibrating, it is almost guaranteed.

Got to look but may be able to weld a piece of angle iron across the two I beam frames underneath. Then add a fish plate from it to the two square tubes supporting the generator plate. Got to look underneath to see if enough of the frame is exposed to do this though. This would take a lot of the stress off the thin bumper and add streingth to the thin frame.

I am sure it can be done. See:

We Discover Canada And Beyond: Extending the Bumper on 5th Wheel Trailer

We Discover Canada And Beyond: Custom Made Generator Box For Our RV

"This setup works well for us and it seems to be standing up well. Last year we did a trip up to Yukon and Alaska and clocked around 12,000 Km or 7,200 miles." Quote from a member on here, Anders, sent to me.

Would have done this the first time but did not know how thin the bumper was! I am sure Anders and I are not the only ones to do this and would love to hear from those that have!

Jim

Tags
5th wheel, generator, wheel