Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #1

5th wheel generator install

I have a heritage glen 286RLT and would like to install a generator in the front storage bay. Has anyone done this before?
I also was wondering what everyone thinks about the Boliy brand generators

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #2
B47

I hope there's a lot of posts on this as I'm interested. This topic has been posted before.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Boliy is a decent one but I would choose the electric start Champion 3100 inverter generator.
Much better customer support, whereas the Boliy has poor customer support.
Lots less places for repair.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
TGR

There are several large hurdles you will have to overcome if you intend to install a “portable” engine generator in your 5th wheel. Portable generators require adequate fresh air and their exhaust isn’t designed to extend with a tailpipe to a safe location. You will need a way to fuel the generator and doing this inside your 5th wheel is another issue. You need an enclosure sealed from the rest of your RV.

A generator designed for an RV will allow a tailpipe and they have a powerful fan to bring in fresh air and cool themselves. You’ll still need a sealed enclosure open to the outside. They will also need a properly designed and installed fuel source.

There are many toy hauler 5th wheelers that are E/G ready or have one already installed. Check these out and see what installation features you’ll have to duplicate to make your setup safe and useful.

I owned a Lance slide-in pickup camper that had an E/G. I truly miss the convenience of starting the E/G from inside my camper and power my coffee pot, TV, microwave and A/C without having to venture outside in the morning. The E/G was a little loud and used a lot of LP but a great convenience. As much as I liked it, I wouldn’t install an E/G in my Wildcat 5th wheel for safety and practicability reasons. An E/G in the back of my pickup is safer and workable.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Best to get a unit designed for permanent install. Too many problems and pitfalls trying to use a portable. You could design a way to take out and put away a portable
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

I recommend the cummings permanent install. depending on were you live will decide if you can install a gas or propane. California can no longer install gas generators due to epa guide lines. they both get the same fuel consumption however. I have the cummings 5500 propane and it runs all appliances and both ac units with no trouble. I also had the cummings gas in my last rv that's why I know about fuel consumption.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

We had a Big Sky come in on trade once that had an Onan propane installed in the front compartment. I don't know if it was factory or aftermarket installed.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

When I bought my Heartland Big Country I had them install an 5000 Onan. I also had them hook it up to propane so I did not have to carry extra fuel. I think the Big Country was pre-wired for an onan in the front bay. Worked great.

Jaime
Brake Buddy Stealth
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #9

Hubby is in the process of installing a gas generator on our new 5er. He didn't want the propane. Easier to find gasoline than propane in the middle of the night. Not many manufacturers put in gas generators. So he's decided to do it himself.
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #10

I have a 08 Montana 2955 5th wheel purchased new in 08. Ordered from factory & came with gen prep. Dealer (& Owner of dealership) advised against factory installed unit. He installed a gasoline 5500 Onan-Cummings RV Gold for less money. He said that it would be too much trouble to keep sufficient propane bottles filled for more than a couple of summer days use (2 AC units) and that a built-in gasoline tank was also bad news. Instead, opted for a 6 gal portable boat tank which I carry in the truck bed. Fuel line tubing is routed from the generator house, inside the skin under the bedroom floor and out at the pin box, with about 6 feet of line to the quick connect fitting. This allows me to carry an extra tank if I need it, and to also empty stale fuel if need be (and has happened). My unit will do about 8 hours on a full tank with everything running on a summer day. That seldom happens. When vacationing I carry 2 boat tanks. Also have a remote start switch which allows me to start the generator while traveling down the road, and cool off the RV before we stop. We have been well pleased with this setup. Just some thoughts.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM   #11

I agree with a lot of posts regarding the problems and potential hazards of installing a generator inside a compartment that was not designed nor wired for such. A friend of mine solved his problem by installing a bumper rack and connecting the wire directly to the outside outlet of the rig while traveling. With the remote, you do not have to go outside to start. Much safer, well ventilated and easily accessible.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't do it NO WAY!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

As far as propane issues I replaced my 203 tanks with 40# tanks dubbling my propane on hand. I found 1 40# tank will give me 8 constant hours of use.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 AM   #14

[QUOTE=TURBS;891501]I wouldn't do it NO WAY!

TURBS, can you clarify what you meant. ie you wouldn't install a portable unit, or a permanent mount, or any generator at all, or ??
Thanks in advance
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ellwood View Post
I have a heritage glen 286RLT and would like to install a generator in the front storage bay. Has anyone done this before?
I also was wondering what everyone thinks about the Boliy brand generators

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Don,

You might want to take a look at what I just did:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eel-82307.html

I wouldn't take the chance of installing a generator under my bed. Too much chance of not having enough ventilation and not waking up.

A gas gen would be hard to fuel a propane would probably double your usage. You should install an intake fan as well as an exhaust fan. You need to pipe the exhaust to the outside away from the trailer , not just under it. You may require a remote start system.

I understand that it would be nice but the only way I would consider it is to have a dealer install one designed for it. Would use propane and upgrade my tanks to 40 pounders or carry a spare 20 pound tank.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #16

just happen to have an Onan 6600 LP RV generator with a Brand New fork lift tank (full) for sale. $2000.00 Took it out of my old 5er , got new one and don't need it
2012 40' Sanibel
Speed limit 65 , Fords & Chevys , do your best
47chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #17

I would not recommend running a geni in the storage compartment while driving. A 5er is not designed for this and can cause a lot of problems for you in the long run. class A's do it but they are designed for this and they also carry a different style of geni.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #18

I ordered my 2015 XLR toy hauler plumbed and wired for a generator. The compartment is directly under the bed in the front of the TT. I have a Yamaha portable that I have run while sitting on the trailer tongue luggage rack and immediately had the smell inside the coach. The installed gen would be even closer while running. That worries me. Has anyone else had a problem with exhaust fumes in a factory setup? I dont want to spend several K$$ and choke on fumes.
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdT View Post
I ordered my 2015 XLR toy hauler plumbed and wired for a generator. The compartment is directly under the bed in the front of the TT. I have a Yamaha portable that I have run while sitting on the trailer tongue luggage rack and immediately had the smell inside the coach. The installed gen would be even closer while running. That worries me. Has anyone else had a problem with exhaust fumes in a factory setup? I dont want to spend several K$$ and choke on fumes.
I don't understand. Wired and plumbed? Do you mean you have a factory installed compartment for a generator but you didn't have the gen installed? What gen was it designed for? I am sure it wasn't designed for a potable generator.

Any time you run a portable that close make sure the exhaust is directed away from the trailer. If you need to place a fan near the exhaust to blow the exhaust away from the trailer. You can plug it into the gen so it runs when you start the gen.

Factory installed should have an exhaust pipe from the generator to the outside to prevent this problem. It normally goes out the floor.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #20

I ordered the coach ready for a generator as toy haulers have gas tanks and I wanted to be able to easily access fuel when i did install a generator. Since the dealer wanted $500.00+ for a factory installed small tv, I was ready to try finding a generator on my own for less $$. I ran the Yamaha generator sitting on the trailer tongue, so for me the issue is one of design. Is it safe to run a generator mounted under your sleeping compartment with the chance of getting gassed by your won rig?
40 days out 2018

Illegitmi Non Carborundum
LairdT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, generator, wheel