Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

5th wheel help

I am looking at purchasing another 5th wheel and narrowed it down to these models from forest river and another manufacturer. all of the models listed below are forest river products. I want to keep my weight in this class. I know the coachmen uses the composite material after the outer fiberglass if i am not mistaken but i am not sure about the others. my question is this. Are they all the same with just a different brand? is there and real difference between the models? one ver another? Same production line etc. any help would be greatly appreciated
salem hemisphere 346 QBUD
Coachmen chapparel 345bhs
Wildwood heritage glen 346QBUD
VCROSS 365vtsb
wildcat 344qb

blazn2170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #2

The only two fifth wheels that you mentioned that are the same are the Salem and Wildwood models. Just as the Flagstaff/Rockwood and Sierra/Sandpiper are the same. Just a different name and color scheme.

So here’s my opinion of the trailers you’ve listed. Right up front I would drop the VCross from consideration because of the bed. While it does list a king bed in the trailer, it is a short king. The 74 inch length will have your feet hanging off the end of the bed, unless you like to have your head resting against the headboard.

Years ago the Salem/Wildwood line came with short queen beds and I don’t see a mattress size listed on their website so you might want to look into that. I’m hoping I don’t get flamed for this but I’m not too impressed with this brand.

I think you need to take a good look at the Chaparral and the Wildcat for fit and finish. Take a good look at the dealership selling those two and see if you have confidence that they will be able to fix any warranty work to your satisfaction. The dealer you buy from is every bit as important as the manufacturer that makes the trailer. Service after the sale is very important.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hey don't forget to the palomino line!
Just had to throw in a plug for palomino!
nothing wrong with a sabre if a floor plan fits u.
good luck! Keep us up to date.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

re

thanks for the response i though of the palomino. the reason i listed the models i did is because of weight. Im trying to keep the weight below 11k dry. I have a few other models that I'm considering besides forest river brands but not sure about listing here. Im trying to get all the features we think we want and not be over that. The bath and a half with an external entry is important and we would like to work around that option but not a deal breaker
blazn2170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

I got the V-cross 275, picked it up on February 17, 2012, I am only 6' tall and I fit well on the 74" short queen. We love the way that the bed lays, side to side, it makes the bedroom look much bigger and the V adds to that feel as well. I looked for 17 months before desiding on the V-Cross. For the money $28,600, we felt that we couldn't do much better. My better half was tired of looking and doing so much research. Good Luck and happy trails.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel