Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

5th Wheel landing gear spring pins

When hooking up and retracting my hydraulic landing gear.....I always seem to have a wrestling match trying to hold the pin back with one hand....and lifting the landing gear leg with the other. I also have JT Strongarms, which probably contribute a little to the problem.

Does anyone use a spring pin that locks in the open position??
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
clr

Every spring pin that I have seen the spring forces the pin in (or the closed) position. Also my hydraulic landing gear does not use any pins and again I suppose I have never seen any hydraulic landing gear that does. But if you say your landing jacks are hydraulic and have pins it must be so and a fault in my experience.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

They are designed so that you manually lower the foot plate close to the ground....release and lock the pin......then lift the load with the hydraulic system.
Not sure Ive seen a system that didn't have them.

Hmmm
Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dry graphite on the legs!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Always Learning

Switch to SteadyFast stabilizers and the legs are so much easier to raise! I was really shocked at the night and day difference.

But generally speaking- I haven't had much of the issue that you refer to; I have been able to hold the pin out with one hand and lift with the other. I do regularly spray my legs with dry silicone/graphic to keep them lubed.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:04 PM   #6

Maybe I need to dis assemble and clean/ lube.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #7

Dust

Watch putting spray lube on stabilizer legs. If you get into a dusty area, the dirt will cling to anything with grease or oil on it. Could end up with a mess, that will not work very well.
Dug2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
When hooking up and retracting my hydraulic landing gear.....I always seem to have a wrestling match trying to hold the pin back with one hand....and lifting the landing gear leg with the other. I also have JT Strongarms, which probably contribute a little to the problem.

Does anyone use a spring pin that locks in the open position??
Are you referring to the aftermarket spring loaded pins that replace the factory pin with the wire swing over lock? I thought they locked into the open position if you twist the handle 90 degrees.
Dug2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel