Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #21

Rick,
I haul our tote in the back of the bed under the fifth wheel with the cord plugged into the sidewall of the bed. I route the cable so it has plenty of room to move if it needs to. I also run a bungee strap over the tote anchored to the loops on each side of the rear bed walls. On a past outing before I strapped the tote, I happened to catch a glimpse of something in my rearview mirror as we were travelling on the highway. Our tote was floating under the front of the fifth wheel. Since then I always run the bungee.
I'm not a fan of the tote being transported on the ladder. That thing comes in to handy at many of our long outings so I would hate to loose it.
We have no trips planned until May but I could get things hooked up and take a photo if that would help.
Both retired and loving life
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I believe you're overthinking the whole cord getting caught on stuff in the bed.

Going down the road there's not enough movement between the 5th wheel and the truck to have much concern. Only when turning tightly is there much interaction with the cord and stuff.

I've been pulling 5th wheels/gooseneck trailers for years with stuff in the bed and never seen a situation other than bicycles that posed a snagging problem for the umbilical cord. Everything in the world seems to get tangled in a bicycle.

Sure... you can't load stuff on top of the cord but I've put plenty of stuff on the truck bed, laid the cord on top of the stuff, plugged it in and went down the road with no issues.
I know I am over thinking it. I have been pulling a 5th Wheel for about 8 years but the 7 pin cord was always connected outside the box on the bumper. Just don't want to have any headaches while on the road.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger5301 View Post
Rick,
I haul our tote in the back of the bed under the fifth wheel with the cord plugged into the sidewall of the bed. I route the cable so it has plenty of room to move if it needs to. I also run a bungee strap over the tote anchored to the loops on each side of the rear bed walls. On a past outing before I strapped the tote, I happened to catch a glimpse of something in my rearview mirror as we were travelling on the highway. Our tote was floating under the front of the fifth wheel. Since then I always run the bungee.
I'm not a fan of the tote being transported on the ladder. That thing comes in to handy at many of our long outings so I would hate to loose it.
We have no trips planned until May but I could get things hooked up and take a photo if that would help.
"I happened to catch a glimpse of something in my rearview mirror as we were travelling on the highway. Our tote was floating under the front of the fifth wheel" That sounds like something that would happen to us . You don't need to go through all that your description of how you secure it is sufficient. I sometimes worry too much.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #24

I carry my pooptoter in the back all of the time. I just lay the cord on top of it. Never had a problem. As others have said, the cord does not move around that much, and the toter's are not going to impede the travel. One recomendation is that you carry the toter with some water in it. Mine has tried to blow out a couple of times, so I put a gallon of water in it to make sure it doesn't become airborne.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:25 PM   #25

I load the truck bed to support the cord and make sure there is nothing that is going to slide around and hook it. I usually keep my landing pads there and rest the cord on that, then load accordingly.
CraigJean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel