Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

ac power acting weird

I just moved from a campsite to a new one, took maybe 30 minutes to unhook and move to new site. I plugged into new site, everything worked when I left last site, and now nothing will work. I have 120 volts to ground, but have not checked to neutral. My microwave clock will come on but will not operate. If I turn on the converter/fridge breaker the microwave clock shutsoff. I haven't heard the converter try to run. My guess is a bad neutral at the campsite, any suggestions?
tylerochoa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Howdy Tyler, a couple of questions first.

Are you on a 30 amp (3 prong) or 50 amp (4 prong) connection at the campsite............ or something else even?

Is your power cord the detachable type, or is it hardwired in to your RV?

Are you using any kind of adapter to plug in?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #3

It's a 50 amp. Plugs in on both ends.
tylerochoa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Hey Tyler, a dirty plug on either end male or female will cause you all kinds of problems. I know this from experience. make sure the male end of the cord is clean, alcohol pads work great, also make sure the female end at the box is clean. Check for dirt, spider webs whatever can get in there cause it will. This dirt will arch and eventually your just running on battery as the cord has shorted and probably melted. Again, I learned this from experience. Good Luck!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Team

It certainly sounds like a bad neutral. I'd unplug right now, if you haven't already, until you get it figured out. A bad neutral can ruin a lot of electrical devices.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerochoa24 View Post
It's a 50 amp. Plugs in on both ends.
Ok, it sounds like you possibly have a multi-meter with you. You will need to check both legs of 120 volts (you have two legs on a 50 amp split phase 120/240 volt service).

I would advise checking the power pedestal first. If all is good there, the attach the cord to the pedestal (but not to the RV), then check the cord end that plugs into the RV for same.

If both of those check out, then we can troubleshoot further. make sure you flip the circuit breaker at the pedestal off when attaching/detaching the cord.

Using this link, click on the 'outlet testing' tab on the left. It will have diagrams to show you the voltages you should be getting between all the tabs.

RV Electric

And you are not using any adapters, correct?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It certainly sounds like a bad neutral. I'd unplug right now, if you haven't already, until you get it figured out. A bad neutral can ruin a lot of electrical devices.
As Bama Rambler pointed out, a bad or open neutral can be terrible in a 120/240 volt split phase 50 amp service. Using the same link I posted above, click on the "open neutral" link on the left hand side of the page to read about that too.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

Run all tests on a neighboring pedestal if possible for comparison. Best if you can reach your rig from it.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power