Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #1

AC v.s. DC Radio

Hi,
I have a question. My stereo in my Cherokee is a DVD/CD/MP3 player. The Brand is Curtis. It only works when the generator is on or I suppose if I was plugged into shore power. I understand I wouldn't want to watch tv off the battery but it would be nice to have music. Is the only way to put an inverter in the camper? I know I have rented a Class C and it actually had a few 12 volt connectors in different spots thoughout the camper. What do most of you all do? I guess there is always a boom box! Also I have 1 deep cycle battery and a generator.

thanks

Steve
steveqvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 PM   #2

If its a 110 unit only you will need and inverter.

Not an expert on this but I think I am right.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:01 PM   #3

steve
that is very odd
most dvd cd and radios are 12v dc, is this an original unit or a replacement?
truth be known the radios at home that plug into 120 outlets are really 12-24 v dc units as well.
do you have a wiring diagram for the unit or can you remove it from the cabinet and see its power requirements listed on the back panel.

does all your other 12 volt item work with the genny off?

sorry i wasnt much help

i did find a website with their prducts, maybe it can shed light on your situation.
curtis
Old 11-21-2007, 03:57 PM   #4

New from the dealer new 2008 cherokee. Seemed wierd to me too. Yes all my lights are fine. Its just the TV and dvd / cd player. If I get there this weekend I will look. I thought maybe that is the way they do it. It looks like a regular home A/C unit. I don't have any wiring diagram. Does Forest River provide those? My owners manual seems pretty generic. No plumbing or electrical diagrams. I wished it had that. I had to ask where the hot water heater was and were the water pump was.... you would think they would provide that kind of information. My camper cost as much as a car and they have pretty good manuals that come with them! I will pull it out and look. But it seems to work just fine when the generator is on.

thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #5

i feel your pain, it seems lately manuals are getting far and few between, youd think that the manuals would be avaible online like the auto industry.
have a good turkey day,
if you have a pic of the unit it might help someone say " i got that one" and maybe we can get some resolution, or maybe a book.i am abut ready t scan all of my stuff and post it here for the cedar creek.

have a good un
Robert
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Does anyone else have Curtis systems installed? I kinda figured Concertone was the only brand FR installs. It could be something the dealer put in. My only knowledge of 'Curtis' stereos is as a low-end 110v system you see through Walmart, etc.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 PM   #7

Yes it seems like it is a low end 110v unit. I was surprised to because I have read most people talking about the concert tone. I will look at my manual since i have that here. Camper is about 2 hours away and the weather did a major change today and got pretty cold. Not sure if i am going down there this weekend.

Back to the manuals, more than just scan I think I want to document my camper best as i can.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving Day!
Steve
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #8

Okay here is the manual. You were right. It says AC 100-120. Its a DVD1073 DVD Home Theater System. Not sure if this was a dealer add on or what. After reading about the concert tone radios I guess I'd rather have this. I guess a boom box will be the way to have radio.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:19 AM   #9

at least the mystery is solved, its sort of a bummer you need 120 v just to hear some tunes

although a few times we have lost a/c power from the main line and wow the dvd player kept going and we both looked around like "what happened"
all the lights were on and no tv, takes a second to sink in we lost 120 power.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:16 AM   #10

I'm going to have to look at mine this weekend just picked up the coach I do know that my dvd/cd player is only 110/120 v. Not sure is I have the manuals though. Anjd not sure of the brand.

2006 F250 6.0 Harley Edition
2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer
Keith and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote