Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #1

Airborne sidewinder pin box

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm looking to upgrade my stock pin box on my SOB fifth wheel. I like the idea of moving the pivot back for better tracking. Does it work as advertised?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Always Learning

If I understand correctly, the Sidewinder is the same as the Reese Revolution. The Revolution is for OEM installs and the Sidewinder is for aftermarket installs.

From my reading, most people are happy with theirs except for the occasional issues that you have to be a bit more precise with hitching up. It seems that you have to be fairly straight in line to do so. It seems like some people can always swing the pin box by hand and others can't budge it.

I do know that the B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch with the post shouldn't be used with this kind of pin box. I don't know what kind of hitch you have in your truck.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #3

I have a husky 16k hitch. Nothing fancy. I also have air bags on my truck. It's a short bed truck but I haven't (yet) had any issues with clearance on tight turns. I like the sidewinder aspect to help make tighter turns and the air hitch to help eliminate the chucking

Old 01-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #4
Chuck from Maryland

I have a reese 5th airborne sidewinder with the reese elite 5th wheel hitch and it works great with my short bed ram 2500 towing wildcat 327ck
chuck-md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #5

I have one for sale $400. When I sold my 5th wheel I kept it to sell. I don't need it now because I have a truck with 8'foot bed.
Tlspoon1141@hotmail.com

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon View Post
I have one for sale $400. When I sold my 5th wheel I kept it to sell. I don't need it now because I have a truck with 8'foot bed.
Tlspoon1141@hotmail.com

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

What pin box does it fit? I have a lippert 1621

Old 02-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I understand correctly, the Sidewinder is the same as the Reese Revolution. The Revolution is for OEM installs and the Sidewinder is for aftermarket installs.

From my reading, most people are happy with theirs except for the occasional issues that you have to be a bit more precise with hitching up. It seems that you have to be fairly straight in line to do so. It seems like some people can always swing the pin box by hand and others can't budge it.

I do know that the B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch with the post shouldn't be used with this kind of pin box. I don't know what kind of hitch you have in your truck.
Once I put the custom wedge in I have no problem at all hitching up, first time everytime. It is a great addition trust me. If I didn't have it I would still be on the same dead end street my GPS took me down.... Your pin box will tighten up which is correct, the only person I know that it has not happened to is HSVAlabamabob.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote