Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I am glad everyone loves theirs. Honest.

I may own one one day. Very possible.

But not a single one of the positive reasons for owning one has any bearing whatsoever on my list of reasons for buying a fifth wheel hitch. I see the listed reasons as superficial and having little bearing on my reason to own a hitch. There MAY be substantive reasons for owning an Andersen, and if so, the superficial reasons might be positive 'gravy'. I admit that's possible.

I'm not getting rid of what I own to go get another one of any kind, though. If I spent my money for anything, it'd be a Trailer Saver TS3 most likely. I do wish I had known about them 1 year ago.

It works as designed. It pulls my 5th wheel RV without issues. It is (or was) a lower cost. It is much simpler in terms of less moving parts. Harder to screw up. It's light weight. It hasn't failed me. I have never dropped the trailer because it was high hitched or the jaws didn't lock. It is easier to hitch (subjective, but not superficial). It is rated well above what my RV weighs. Those may be superficial to you, but the OP asked users of the hitch.

I encourage you to use what you like or prefer. The posters here have just shared their reasons for liking them to the OP.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #22

Outstanding.

I am glad you like it (I said that already).

I gave my opinion.......this being an internet chat site with opinions welcome on camping related topics. A person asked for opinions, and if the responders were limited to existing owners, I missed that. If so, I apologize for crashing the party, seriously.

I simply gave my opinion, as you have given yours. I see no reason for stifling related comments.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
When will your steel hitch be available? Is it a goose neck mount or rail making? Would you consider shipping it?

I have the steel rail mount for my 2500HD, but recently added a dually to the mix that has a goose neck ball. Was going to order the aluminum version (just the base as I already have the coupler), but if I could find a steel used one for the right price (and more importantly in the right time frame) I would go that route.

FYI,,, I love mine sin much I'm gonna keep both of them. One for the 3/4 ton and one for the dually!
I think time wise we are probably 8 weeks away. I would ask $375. It is a rail mount. I would think shipping cost would probably bring you pretty close to buying new for 500+ and free shipping.
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #24
RetiredRVer

Quote:

But not a single one of the positive reasons for owning one has any bearing whatsoever on my list of reasons for buying a fifth wheel hitch. I see the listed reasons as superficial and having little bearing on my reason to own a hitch. There MAY be substantive reasons for owning an Andersen, and if so, the superficial reasons might be positive 'gravy'. I admit that's possible.

I'm not getting rid of what I own to go get another one of any kind, though. If I spent my money for anything, it'd be a Trailer Saver TS3 most likely. I do wish I had known about them 1 year ago.
That's okay, BandJCarm. Most, if not all of us, realize that the reasons we choose a hitch, or brand of RV, do so for personal or financial reasons. I'm fairly certain the hitches mentioned are all safe, and built to standards that will reach, or exceed, the specs listed by the manufacturer. I looked at the Hensley hitch for the previous TT I owned, and for the Fifth Wheel I now own. I just couldn't justify spending almost $3,000 for a device I use only on occasion, and knowing that the $1,000 hitches are just as safe. The TS 3 may ride better, and give one more peace of mind, but it is a personal choice I made that I'm completely comfortable with. I love my Superlite hitch! Just my opinion.
2017 Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK Fifth Wheel
2018 AT 18 Alaska group
checkmate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #25

Quote:
I know everyone that has this loves it. That is probably justified, I assume.

BUT......... "how long it takes to hitch up" and "How easy it is to remove from truck bed" are not even on my list of reasons why I buy a fifth wheel hitch.
Quote:

Quote:
Outstanding.

I am glad you like it (I said that already).

I gave my opinion.......this being an internet chat site with opinions welcome on camping related topics. A person asked for opinions, and if the responders were limited to existing owners, I missed that. If so, I apologize for crashing the party, seriously.

I simply gave my opinion, as you have given yours. I see no reason for stifling related comments.
Quote:
Except you didn't give any reason why it is not a good hitch or why you don't like it. You simply implied that the posters that liked it liked it for "superficial" reasons.

You are certainly free to post on any thread, but wouldn't it make sense to add value when you post? Why don't you like it? What is it that you look for in a hitch that the one in question doesn't offer?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I recommend this hitch without hesitation. Check out the many youtubes. Their customer support is excellent. Call Jason if you have concerns.

Jason was awesome when I bought mine. I ended up sending it back to exchange it for the flatbed version due to height of the bed on my 350 4X4. Customer service is excellent. In fact when you call and ask to speak with Jason, they transfer you to his cell phone.

I'm very happy with mine.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Jason was awesome when I bought mine. I ended up sending it back to exchange it for the flatbed version due to height of the bed on my 350 4X4. Customer service is excellent. In fact when you call and ask to speak with Jason, they transfer you to his cell phone.

I'm very happy with mine.

My customer service experience hasn't been as great. I have emailed a few times with some questions around which part number to buy and use with a plastic bedliner. I received an email reply last weeks that didn't address either question. I'm sure it would be better if I call, but the time difference makes it difficult (I've been in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan the last few weeks).

If I don't get email response this week, then I'll be able to call next week.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
I see the listed reasons as superficial and having little bearing on my reason to own a hitch.
Bill, this sounds like you think we were (I was) trying to sell YOU at hitch. I apologize if I left the impression I was trying to sell you a hitch. My (less than superficial to me) reason for investigating the Andersen hitch was payload. It gives me less of a payload penalty than a standard hitch. The OP asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivasiuk View Post
We just purchased a new rockwood 8289ws,gvwr 10,500 lbs. Has anyone used one of these new hitches.
Cheers Rick and Diana
I answered his question. I have. I do. I don't mind/care if others do. You don't have a payload constraint as I do.

Peace... and I look forward to meeting you at Goshen.
Dan

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Bill, this sounds like you think we were (I was) trying to sell YOU at hitch. I apologize if I left the impression I was trying to sell you a hitch. My (less than superficial to me) reason for investigating the Andersen hitch was payload. It gives me less of a payload penalty than a standard hitch. The OP asked
I answered his question. I have. I do. I don't mind/care if others do. You don't have a payload constraint as I do.

Peace... and I look forward to meeting you at Goshen.
Dan
I was getting close to payload on an F250. Changed the factory tailgate with the Husky aluminum tailgate. The factory tailgate is heavy, with the built in step much heavier. Save more weight (and money) going to a composite 5er tailgate. Have no need to save weight with the F350 now but put it on the day the F350 came home.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #30

I too own a pullrite superlite
and i am very pleased with it
as stated,it is lite weight and very easy to use
as my TV is also used as one of my work trucks

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:57 AM   #31

regareohnnJean

That all souinds good,but I have A question regarding using a Ree se Revolution pinbox setup with the Anderson hitch. The Reese pinbox has awedge just behind thepin. I'm not sure if I can install the pin/ball adapter. Know anyone who has this configuration?
rocky4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #32

I did not mean to disparage it. I said I might own one someday.

The reasons Mr. Dan gave of giving him more payload is the first really substantial reason I've heard, and it makes good sense.

I sometimes use wrong words. When I said "Superficial reasons" I did not mean meaningless or worthless or inconsequential. What I was trying to convey was that the #1 reason I hear over and over, is "I can get it out of my truck easy". To me, that is totally unimportant. Well, no.........sure, I'd like to wiggle my nose and have a full truck bed sometimes. But only very, very rarely. And it's surely not the reason I bought a 5th wheel hitch.

I haven't heard "This hitch is safer, stronger, and connects to the Kingpin way better and stronger than a B&W hitch with 1" jaws". That would be the reason I would be interested in. Whether it removes easily or not is nice, but almost inconsequential. When I am going down the road with 16K behind me, I am not thinking "Well, I sure hope I can get this hitch out of the truck bed by myself when I get to where I'm going". What I'm thinking is "I surely hope this thing doesn't come loose, or if I have a wreck, I hope it doesn't cause more problems than it solved!!!"

If it is just as safe, and if it is just as strong, I wonder why Semi trucks don't use this concept somehow?? I see how they are connected, and I imagine that's GOT to be the safest, best, most secure method of fifth wheel connecting.

NOW....with all that said.......and it is ALL said by me, non-engineer, a simple User, a guy who knows little but still wants the best and the safest........but many folks have them and I have no knowledge of any failures, and my thoughts are all anecdotal and assumptions based on what I see. I am NOT saying they are NOT the safest and strongest hitch made. IF they are, I'm interested.

But if they are not, then I will shelve any worries of whether I can remove it easily.

THAT was all I was trying to say........and I didn't say ALL of that because it would have sounded like I was disparaging them when I don't have enough empirical evidence to do so.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Except you didn't give any reason why it is not a good hitch or why you don't like it. You simply implied that the posters that liked it liked it for "superficial" reasons.

You are certainly free to post on any thread, but wouldn't it make sense to add value when you post? Why don't you like it? What is it that you look for in a hitch that the one in question doesn't offer?
I never once said it wasn't a good hitch. That's putting words in my mouth that aren't there. I didn't give a reason why it's a bad hitch because I didn't think it is.

I said I couldn't find reasons to like it, and the reasons given of "ease of removal" didn't impress me.

If it "meets manufacturers specs", that's fine. But that's a minimum. I would expect more than that. This is the sole point of connection between a 9,000 lb truck and a 16,000 lb trailer. I expect way more than "meeting specs".......especially considering what those specs are in some areas.

Many of my friends have gone to this hitch. I doubt I do anytime soon, I like what I have and it's paid for. And I think it's the best concept. But I'm sure this thing is good. I'm glad folks like it.

Geez........I don't know what else to say or a better way to say it. But you asked.........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-15-2017, 06:36 AM   #34

Quote:
I did not mean to disparage it. I said I might own one someday.

The reasons Mr. Dan gave of giving him more payload is the first really substantial reason I've heard, and it makes good sense.

I sometimes use wrong words. When I said "Superficial reasons" I did not mean meaningless or worthless or inconsequential. What I was trying to convey was that the #1 reason I hear over and over, is "I can get it out of my truck easy". To me, that is totally unimportant. Well, no.........sure, I'd like to wiggle my nose and have a full truck bed sometimes. But only very, very rarely. And it's surely not the reason I bought a 5th wheel hitch.

I haven't heard "This hitch is safer, stronger, and connects to the Kingpin way better and stronger than a B&W hitch with 1" jaws". That would be the reason I would be interested in. Whether it removes easily or not is nice, but almost inconsequential. When I am going down the road with 16K behind me, I am not thinking "Well, I sure hope I can get this hitch out of the truck bed by myself when I get to where I'm going". What I'm thinking is "I surely hope this thing doesn't come loose, or if I have a wreck, I hope it doesn't cause more problems than it solved!!!"

If it is just as safe, and if it is just as strong, I wonder why Semi trucks don't use this concept somehow?? I see how they are connected, and I imagine that's GOT to be the safest, best, most secure method of fifth wheel connecting.

NOW....with all that said.......and it is ALL said by me, non-engineer, a simple User, a guy who knows little but still wants the best and the safest........but many folks have them and I have no knowledge of any failures, and my thoughts are all anecdotal and assumptions based on what I see. I am NOT saying they are NOT the safest and strongest hitch made. IF they are, I'm interested.

But if they are not, then I will shelve any worries of whether I can remove it easily.

THAT was all I was trying to say........and I didn't say ALL of that because it would have sounded like I was disparaging them when I don't have enough empirical evidence to do so.
Bill, I happened to think of something while reading your post. I've read lots of complaints about 5th wheel hitches being difficult to unhitch if both units aren't on the same level. Not sure if ALL of them are that way, but I haven't heard any complaints about the Andersen system being hard to unhitch, or line up and hitch up. Also, there are complaints about chucking with conventional 5th wheel hitches, but none with the Andersen. Thoughts?

Edit: a compelling reason for me to have an Andersen would be that, with a gooseneck setup in the bed, I can have use of the truck bed when not using it. And, at 60 plus years of age, a lightweight system IS important if I'm going to be putting it in and out in occasion.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #35

Quote:
I never once said it wasn't a good hitch. That's putting words in my mouth that aren't there. I didn't give a reason why it's a bad hitch because I didn't think it is.

I said I couldn't find reasons to like it, and the reasons given of "ease of removal" didn't impress me.

If it "meets manufacturers specs", that's fine. But that's a minimum. I would expect more than that. This is the sole point of connection between a 9,000 lb truck and a 16,000 lb trailer. I expect way more than "meeting specs".......especially considering what those specs are in some areas.

Many of my friends have gone to this hitch. I doubt I do anytime soon, I like what I have and it's paid for. And I think it's the best concept. But I'm sure this thing is good. I'm glad folks like it.

Geez........I don't know what else to say or a better way to say it. But you asked.........

And yet you still have not provided any info (good or bad) for the hitch. That's pretty helpful for the OP!
Old 07-15-2017, 06:42 AM   #36

Another good point. That is certainly worthy of filing in the + column.

My only response would be that it IS hard to hitch and unhitch, in fact that is the sole negative I've heard on it. You have to line up just right. My B&W has some 'give'. It rotates a little bit, and I can back into it even if the pin is off a little bit. With one 2 5/16" ball, I'd have to be spot on.

Chucking.......another story. I have some of that even with B&W. Now, on my last camping trip some friends and I re-adjusted mine (it has 9 settings to move slightly front, back, up, down) back some, and I think it helped.......the jury is out. I'll know more when I hook up for FROG. But yes, I've had some. I think it's fixable, though. I can see the physics that the little ball won't allow any 'play', thus no chucking.

My counter is......if a tiny bit of chucking is required to be Uber Safe, I'll live with it.

And so I guess my real concerns keep boiling down to utter safety, the top of the line safe system, the absolute mostest safest! Which one is most safe??

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-15-2017, 06:43 AM   #37

Quote:
And yet you still have not provided any info (good or bad) for the hitch. That's pretty helpful for the OP!
OK, I am not trying to be confrontational.

It appears I cannot satisfy you. I did try. I apologize if what I said wasn't providing any info.

If I was the OP (and I was, 15 months ago), I'd consider my posts to have meaningful info regarding my hitch decision.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-15-2017, 06:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Another good point. That is certainly worthy of filing in the + column.

My only response would be that it IS hard to hitch and unhitch, in fact that is the sole negative I've heard on it. You have to line up just right. My B&W has some 'give'. It rotates a little bit, and I can back into it even if the pin is off a little bit. With one 2 5/16" ball, I'd have to be spot on.

Chucking.......another story. I have some of that even with B&W. Now, on my last camping trip some friends and I re-adjusted mine (it has 9 settings to move slightly front, back, up, down) back some, and I think it helped.......the jury is out. I'll know more when I hook up for FROG. But yes, I've had some. I think it's fixable, though. I can see the physics that the little ball won't allow any 'play', thus no chucking.

My counter is......if a tiny bit of chucking is required to be Uber Safe, I'll live with it.

And so I guess my real concerns keep boiling down to utter safety, the top of the line safe system, the absolute mostest safest! Which one is most safe??

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM   #39

Has anybody switched to an Anderson hitch who has a Reese Revolution pinbox on their 5er?
rocky4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky4765 View Post
Has anybody switched to an Anderson hitch who has a Reese Revolution pinbox on their 5er?
I have a client who did. They just came back from a three week trip. If I can catch him tomorrow, I'll ask. He went from a traditional 5th wheel hitch on his old rig to an Andersen on his new TV and 5er. I'm interested to hear his take on it, since we are planning on a 5er in the next year or so. If I can get to him, I'll certainly share his thoughts.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, aluminum, hitch, wheel