Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Another flat tire

We are on our way home from our week long trip to the smokies. But never fails, had a flat coming down the mount in Cleveland, just north of Chattanooga. Couple waved me down to tell me. Found a level place to pull off to change it. Now I carry tools, 6 ton jack but it's no fun on the side of the interstate. But I bought a trailer aid plus and WOW it sure made it a lot easier. Still wife watched for cars , some moved over and some would not. But the trailer aid really was worth the cost.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

Glad you're safe!
I just want to mention to anyone that reads this that if you are on the highway and put out triangles, cones, flares, etc. they should start HUNDREDS of feet behind where you are stopped, at a slight angle going from the edge of the shoulder to line of the lane, if not into the lane slightly. You want people to be aware of you as early as possible! The angle makes sure that no one can possibly mistake the cones as forming a lane on the shoulder. Also, if you put your hood up (if you have a vehicle with a traditional hood) even if you're not having engine trouble, it signals that your vehicle is disabled from a distance. I have been carrying standard small traffic cones but obviously they are bulky so I am looking at some folding options. I hate to have to mention that you should put on your hazard lights but I see an unbelievable amount of cars pulled over with either nothing (even at night!) or just the turn signal from pulling over.
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #3

Wow, I hate that for you, but I am very glad you got it changed safely. You had your flat in my hometown. If I would have seen you I would have assisted. We have only had one flat and I used the metal ramp like the trailer aid that we for from tractor supply.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellma View Post
We are on our way home from our week long trip to the smokies. But never fails, had a flat coming down the mount in Cleveland, just north of Chattanooga. Couple waved me down to tell me. Found a level place to pull off to change it. Now I carry tools, 6 ton jack but it's no fun on the side of the interstate. But I bought a trailer aid plus and WOW it sure made it a lot easier. Still wife watched for cars , some moved over and some would not. But the trailer aid really was worth the cost.

Wow multiple flats. Just curious...what brand tires are you running? After reading everything about the Carlisle tires on this forum including their low speed rating, I am about to replace my Carlisles with something in a thicker ply and higher speed rating hoping to minimize tire problems.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

First thing I did was replace my China bomb tires with made in the USA Goodyear Endurance tires. No problems whatsoever towing from Arizona to Alaska.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #6

So this is what the DOT says about warning flares/devices placement. I really don't understand what this is saying with the 100' facing traffic and 100' facing away from traffic. Both say 100' from disabled vehicle.

(b)Placement of warning devices -

(1)General rule. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(2) of this section, whenever a commercial motor vehicle is stopped upon the traveled portion or the shoulder of a highway for any cause other than necessary traffic stops, the driver shall, as soon as possible, but in any event within 10 minutes, place the warning devices required by § 393.95 of this subchapter, in the following manner:

(i) One on the traffic side of and 4 paces (approximately 3 meters or 10 feet) from the stopped commercial motor vehicle in the direction of approaching traffic;

(ii) One at 40 paces (approximately 30 meters or 100 feet) from the stopped commercial motor vehicle in the center of the traffic lane or shoulder occupied by the commercial motor vehicle and in the direction of approaching traffic; and

(iii) One at 40 paces (approximately 30 meters or 100 feet) from the stopped commercial motor vehicle in the center of the traffic lane or shoulder occupied by the commercial motor vehicle and in the direction away from approaching traffic.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Do you have Tire Minders? If not, get them, they will pay for themselves on the first trip with the added peace of mind.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #8
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

[QUOTE=mwdilday;1891753]So this is what the DOT says about warning flares/devices placement. I really don't understand what this is saying with the 100' facing traffic and 100' facing away from traffic. Both say 100' from disabled vehicle.

I think it just means placement in the front of the vehicle and placement behind the vehicle, so one would face oncoming traffic and one would face away oncoming traffic.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #9

[QUOTE=HappyCamper1962;1891944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
So this is what the DOT says about warning flares/devices placement. I really don't understand what this is saying with the 100' facing traffic and 100' facing away from traffic. Both say 100' from disabled vehicle.

I think it just means placement in the front of the vehicle and placement behind the vehicle, so one would face oncoming traffic and one would face away oncoming traffic.
It confused me as well but there is a bit more to it as they do account for the situation. They just provided the straight two lane road placement.

On a two-lane road:

* The first device should be placed on the traffic side of the vehicle 10 feet (4 paces) from the front or rear, depending on traffic direction,

*The second device should be placed 100 feet (40 paces) behind the vehicle, and

*A third device should be placed 100 feet (40 paces) ahead of the vehicle on the shoulder or in the lane where the vehicle is stopped.

One-way or divided highway:

The devices should be placed 10, 100 and 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle, toward approaching traffic.

Within 500 feet of a hill, curve or obstruction:

A device should be placed 100 to 500 feet from the vehicle in the direction of the obstruction.

The other two should be placed according to the rules for two-lane or divided highways.

Here is the link I read for full context.
http://www.csrdot.com/blog/warning-device-placement/
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 03:36 PM   #10

Listen to Brother Les and buy a tire minder monitor setup. Also go with some Goodyears if possible.

Some other possible thoughts:

1) Are your wheel bearings and grease seals good? They may be causing the tire bead to get to hot.
2) Not likely, but are the axles bent or mounted wrong. Tire wear will tell you.

3) Are the tires the correct size and load rating for your unit?

4) Unit over loaded?
5) Driving to fast?
6) Tire pressure incorrect for the load?
CaptZoltar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire