Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1965 View Post
I tow my 35ft Montana 5ver with my 2500 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. Like most I am a bit over on Pin weight. That being said the truck sits level fully loaded and hooked up with zero air in the bags. I put 35lbs in the air bags, and its up just a tad in the back, stable as can be, rides great with no chucking etc. I have F rated tires on the truck, plus the bags and my brakes and everything else are identical to a 3500 SRW. Im not worried about being stopped or my insurance. Going to add disc brakes to my rig as soon as I can just because I want them, but outside of that tow away with that 2500, you will be fine.
2500 vs. 3500. ... not same... axles different... leafs in rear .
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:20 PM   #62

No offense Sir, but my son is the Finance manager for a large Ram Dealer here in town, I have not only looked at the specs, but I have spoken directly with their district service manager. Other than the leaf spring rear set up on a SRW version everything else is exactly the same. The brakes, and axles are no different. DRW the rear axle is bigger, but on the single wheel versions they are the same.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #63

State Trooper here for 19+ years. If you aren’t in commerce (for business purposes), you aren’t subject to DOT standards, inspections, etc. Does that mean you can’t be stopped, weighed, etc.? Nope. Does that make you immune from civil litigation? Again, nope. Just be safe and use some common sense.
TNsmokybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:18 PM   #64
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
Never seen it happen anywhere. If you added the extra rear spring, you should be fine-$450 at local spring shop.

I think they go by the door stickers registration card. and If you have a certificate by an official state agency to show you changed the weight capacity you may be OK. I should say it's not always easy to get the installing dealer to fill out the forms required for certification because of

liability. I live in PA it could be different in other states.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:08 AM   #65

The only time I have ever heard of anything like this was at a local lake. On one of the main roads into it they were pulling people over checking trailer weights with scales. Not exactly what for (I showed up too late for the party) but it may be because in KS you don't have to register a single axle trailer under a certain weight but pretty much nobody registers single axles no matter the weight. Or maybe someone had an overloaded trailer that caused an accident. May have just been trying to bring in some extra money that spring as I never ran across it in my 10 years or so of boating.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:01 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
In Michigan the state police commercial cops cant stop private vehicles. Most states file suit. A few have mentioned a few states were they have the authority. I would thing you would have better chances buying lotto tickets and winning then getting stopped by a cop with scales to weigh you unless completely overloaded and looking ridiculous.
Michigan Commercial officers have the same authority as any other Law Enforcement. They can stop any vehicles commercial or private. They just have more training for commercial than normal road patrols.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy1965 View Post
No offense Sir, but my son is the Finance manager for a large Ram Dealer here in town, I have not only looked at the specs, but I have spoken directly with their district service manager. Other than the leaf spring rear set up on a SRW version everything else is exactly the same. The brakes, and axles are no different. DRW the rear axle is bigger, but on the single wheel versions they are the same.
No worries... 2500 10000 gvwr 5500 front axle 6000 rear 3500 SRW gvwr 12300 6000 front 7000 rear ... shopped and compared I own that 3500 ...
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
Upflying: Some folks are aware of the 26,001 LB Rule but I'd bet a lot of people on here don't know about it.
You say weight enforcement is focused on Commercial Trucking. While that is true, It also Pertains to RV drivers as well.

If you take a dually truck with a GVWR of 14,000 LBS and throw a 12,001 LB GVWR FW onto the truck you just entered the 26,001 Lb GVWR.
Now the RV driver needs a CDL Drivers License.
Don't see many FW trailers that look all that light weight.

How many of you are Towing over this 26,001 LB Limit without knowing you had to have a CDL...

This is from the DOT Website:
A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Even with this requirements, Many states have an exclusion for RV's. Everyone needs to check the laws in each state that they will travel through. Some states that require the CDL if you are a state resident but don't enforce if if you are just passing through.
pclayton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #69

Quote:
Upflying: Some folks are aware of the 26,001 LB Rule but I'd bet a lot of people on here don't know about it.
You say weight enforcement is focused on Commercial Trucking. While that is true, It also Pertains to RV drivers as well.

If you take a dually truck with a GVWR of 14,000 LBS and throw a 12,001 LB GVWR FW onto the truck you just entered the 26,001 Lb GVWR.

How many of you are Towing over this 26,001 LB Limit without knowing you had to have a CDL...

A CDL is required to drive any of the following vehicles: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Every state has a different set of rules when it comes to the 26001 rule. So you need to check your own states laws. Not just listen to what is posted on these forums.

The above DOT regulations listed in this quote are strictly for COMERCIAL drivers. Private vehicles are not governed under these rules. Check your states drivers licensing requirements.

One thing that is governed is with the enactment of laws in the 70's all states are supposed to honor the drivers home state requirements if a driver is traveling thru the state.

I can tell you that in North Carolina to drive any vehicle with a gcvwr of over 26001# you need a classified A non CDL. Here this requires both the written Class A test and the Class A drivers Skills test but does not require the DOT medical card that CDL requires.

I wish people would stop confusing a class A private license with a CDL. They are 2 totally different things in many states.

So please review your states requirements and follow what they are.
2018 HD Fatbob S 114
Retired LEO,
Current Drug Diversion Investigator
Boris0119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #70
OTG Spartan

Just as Cabinfever97 said it will only matter if you're in an accident. Just imagine because you are over weight (your own admission) and could not stop fast enough, caused an accident resulting in someone was killed or even worse someone in your own vehicle died? The price of upgrading to a bigger truck will not be of any comparison to what you'll have to pay out in both money and regret knowing you could have prevented it.
OTG Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG Spartan View Post
Just as Cabinfever97 said it will only matter if you're in an accident. Just imagine because you are over weight (your own admission) and could not stop fast enough, caused an accident resulting in someone was killed or even worse someone in your own vehicle died? The price of upgrading to a bigger truck will not be of any comparison to what you'll have to pay out in both money and regret knowing you could have prevented it.
I see You put More Value on Your Family than other People,vary sad! Youroo!!
Old 01-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #72

I am one of the ones over his payload rating by a few hundred pounds over. In Canada it us unheard of being checked. I have heard people state their trucks max tow capacity and trailer weight while crossing the border in Maine but have no proof.

I have no plans to travel to the US and would think a little hard on it before I do. I am not concerned about insurance covering me but more concerned about personal liability of someone were to get hurt. Lawyer sites like Freid and Goldberg who list on their front page at fault for overloaded or unbalance loads and knowing the US is much more liberal than Canada when it comes to rewards for pain and suffering. If I was a US citizen I may be more comfortable traveling knowing the system better. I used to have a Dually 3500 when I traveled the US more often.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I cant say I have ever seen any RV being checked for weight by any law enforcement agency. The only way they might weigh you is if you were involved in a crash.
Not long ago, I had the depressing opportunity to read a CHP investigation of a fatal caused by a fiver. His over weight and inability to stop looked pretty bad in the report. Two people killed and 4 or 5 injured when he blew though the light at the top of the offramp.

On top of that the on site officer suggest that his brake pedal travel MAY HAVE BEEN limited by the big fat WeatherTec floor mats.

Oh and he had not activated his exhaust brake.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:06 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Has your family read your input?
2 people about to drown in the lake. 1 is your daughter the other is a strangers daughter. You can only save 1. Which do you choose?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #75
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
2 people about to drown in the lake. 1 is your daughter the other is a strangers daughter. You can only save 1. Which do you choose?
Saving vs harming are not near the same thing in my opinion.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:27 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Sorry neither !

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #77

I am a 25 year serving, retired LEO and unless something looked BADLY off, I never gave RVs a second thought. I had much more stuff to do than deal with something that might or might not be slightly over their payload. Now, if it was a 1/2 ton truck pulling a triple axle unit, I probably would have done it, but I never saw anything like that WHILE I WAS WORKING. I have seen things like that while I have been in campgrounds in touristy areas, but alas, I was NOT working.

I did have some friends (also LEO) ask about my F150 EB and it's payload numbers and tow capacity. I even had a couple of them want to see the sticker because they couldn't believe the high numbers, which in some cases, were more than their 250s.

Like someone else stated, pay attention to your tires and making sure all of those numbers are good. You should be good to go unless YOU bring attention to yourself.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Yep in NC, but not my RV. I was towing a car hauler loaded with rigid insulation with a F150. HP pulled me and pulled out portable scales. He seemed to be very disappointed when I told him what I was hauling. He did weigh the trailer and I was 800 lbs under.
NC has tags called weighted if you don't pay for that tag this is kinda what you get out for you money,money,money.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #79

Quote:

RVs are exempt in many states...including my state Louisiana. No CDL required at any weight for RVs
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #80
OTG Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Don't really understand your reply but I value all life and every time I hook up and travel that I pray that no harm will come to me and my family as well that I cause no harm to anyone else.

BTW it's spelled very not vary
OTG Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote