Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

At long last! 8280ws Ordered!!!!

Finally we got there (after major insurance and licensing issues for non residents) have ordered our 8280ws fiver, we will collect and start our first ever RV, 6 month holiday in April 2011. Thanks Dave and Monica for your advice and encouragement, greatly appreciated.

We are looking at a 2500 short box 4x4 diesel probably Dodge, stock suspension and wheels, so we will need a slider, with enough height adjustment to clear the rails, any suggestions very welcome. I guess we will probably have to add spacers to the RV suspension to get it level whilst hitched, is this easy enough to get done are there alternatives?

Nigel
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Now the anxious waiting begins.

Are you picking it up or having it delivered to the border?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #3

It's really too bad the truck designers make the box sides so high on new trucks, just plain dumb!
Our 5th, which I believe is basically the same as yours, has a front end height of 57 inches when level. The box on our TV is 53 inches high, and we have 6 inches between the box rails and the camper, which makes 59 inches, but the truck drops 2 inches with the 1600 lb (estimated) pin weight, which works out perfectly (we got lucky!).
I just measured my 2010 Dodge 1500 4x4, and it's box is already 55 inches high, so I wonder how much higher the 2500 would be, if any?
I imagine your camper will have the rubber axles, so it wouldn't be that difficult to add another tube under the existing suspension box, but just make sure it is done carefully, as the axles must be mounted precisely in line. I have a feeling that most of the complaints we hear about blowing trailer tires comes from misaligned axles.
The only other option would be to get a truck with a low gear ratio, then put shorter tires on, thus dropping your truck height. But that would probably be unattractive. I have seen it done, though. Just make sure not to order oversize tires. The 20-inch rims and tires may have a larger diameter than the 17 inch, worth checking, even if it is only an inch, as that's one inch less you would have to raise the camper.
You can pull the camper with some 'nose-up' attitude, but too much is too much.
Good luck with your new camper, I know you'll luv it!
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Congratulations! Now the anxious waiting begins.

Are you picking it up or having it delivered to the border?

Dave

We are going to collect it and bring it back to BC to import it, just part of the holiday, then off to not sure yet, probably north with summer on its way.
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 5th wheel, 8280ws