Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 04:08 PM   #1

Auto level on a slope

We plan to park our sandpiper 5th wheel on a piece of property permanently as a vacation spot. The best spot in the shade has a 4 degree slope (1 per foot). The slope is left to right with the way the camper will be parked. Anyone have that much slope? Just block the jack pads higher on the downhill side so the jacks dont over extend?
joeb1kinobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:21 PM   #2

I'd level the trailer first using blocks or stands. If it's a permanent placement suggest jack stands or similar under the frame. The stands with the screw top work well and are adjustable
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:27 PM   #3

If it is a permanent spot and the RV will not move for years, then permanent blocking under the frame would be a better idea.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #4

Dig out the uphill side for the wheels to drop in and block the lower side.. You need to make the steps usable.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If it is a permanent spot and the RV will not move for years, then permanent blocking under the frame would be a better idea.

X2 , blocking / supporting the frame will help with any movement also.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:36 AM   #6
MCTroy

Our summer site is beside a nice creek. It slopes towards the water. We put the opposite door side tires on one set of pavers. The door side, towards the creek goes on 2 stacked set of pavers. With sand under and between them the pavers are steady and won't shift. Each year we come back and just roll up on the preset pavers. Our jacks are fir stability not leveling. So we level the trailer then set up the jacks... with good chocks on the wheels of course.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

Agree.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #8

One of our first sites in a COE park was really badly sloped. Fortunately I had over 24 of cribbing. I had 6-8 on one side. 0 on the other. Stairs were wonky. Barely fit. Took the feet off.

Good cribbing is necessary. I would buy pavers. They should almost touch the leveler foot before use. Inches.

Our automatic levelers would not likely work. We have to be sort of level with the front being above level for ours to work. You need to be familiar with using the manual controls. The DWs speciality, not mine.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capacitor View Post
Dig out the uphill side for the wheels to drop in and block the lower side.. You need to make the steps usable.
X2.
As I interpret a left-to-right slope that means your first step will be 8" to 9" higher off the ground than if the 5er was level side-to-side. Some of the newer steps that rest on the ground might be okay with that much elevation, but not my OEM cantilevered steps. Since it is a m/l permanent situation I'd do a little more work initially by digging an 8"-deep bench on the high side, making things safer every time you step in or out.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:40 PM   #10

Well, the OP has never been back to expand on his situation.
But if this a piece of private property, and the RV is to be there permanently, hire a guy with a suitable piece of equipment and level the entire spot appropriately and create a pad with drainage. If possible install electric, water, and septic. Maybe even build a deck.
Set the RV on blocks, remove the tires, and install skirting.
If you are going to do this, do it right.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote