Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
I have a wonderful marriage, but at these moments things got tense. Can't see her in mirror, flailing arms, yada yada. Picked up a couple walkie talkies last year and it's a much smoother and calmer operation now.
That's a great idea! We have some, but I never thought of using them while backing in. I'm going to try it next week. Thanks for sharing.
Griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff02 View Post
That's a great idea! We have some, but I never thought of using them while backing in. I'm going to try it next week. Thanks for sharing.
Especially when backing into storage; a tight squeeze. And I don't need her in mirror view. When that's done she promptly starts to help setting up. And she helps with the driving on the longer trips too[emoji4]
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #23

LOL, nope I pull up and before I even begin to back up I say politely. Honey, take the dogs and get out. I may ask her to watch that pole or tree, but I know where its going. All in all we do pretty well. She knows what I need and when. I do this much better on my own and when other people ask if they can help setting up, NOPE. Get out of my way and stay clear. Once it is set up and level and slides are out, ok honey you can go inside and put all the stuff out. Rugs etc. while I hook up water and other things.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #24

My Call.

My DW is perfectly fine with me doing the whole parking "evolution". The only time she gets upset is if I seem to be taking an abnormally long time to get lined up and level. She will get out and guide me ONLY if I ask.

Levelmate Pro has made a huge difference as have Anderson Levelers. I have gotten pretty good at backing into a spot after 3+ years and we have learned how to stay out of each others way after 30+ years of marriage

Marty
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnlindsay View Post
LOL, nope I pull up and before I even begin to back up I say politely. Honey, take the dogs and get out. I may ask her to watch that pole or tree, but I know where its going. All in all we do pretty well. She knows what I need and when. I do this much better on my own and when other people ask if they can help setting up, NOPE. Get out of my way and stay clear. Once it is set up and level and slides are out, ok honey you can go inside and put all the stuff out. Rugs etc. while I hook up water and other things.
X2 except she does EVERYTHING inside but not until I say it's ok. That signal is usually me putting the steps down

Marty
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #26

Wife and I decide "How far back we want the trailer" nothing more. I mark the spot, I line it up, she stands to the driver side in view of the mirror and when I get to that spot, she says stop. Works well for us and no arguments.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #27

Gary i read your post and you're not alone. In fact it's downright scary what you wrote I began to hyper-ventilate while reading it. Exactly what happens every time we took the Trailer out. Only add 3 small dogs to the mix.

Solution I took? I bought a Class A to save the marriage.

Ok seriously, lot of good points here to try, what helped me.
1 Practice when you can in a parking lot
2. Bought me Uncle Norm’s Never Miss Hitch System! (google it)
3. Never allow yourself to be rushed by others or the situation, all of us have been in your shoes and know the struggles of working a trailer.

Good Luck
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #28
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

My divorce was final three weeks ago...

I got the trailer...

'Nuff said!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #29

I get to see how this goes next Monday. I think I'm going to give her one voice command: "STOP" and leave it at that for now.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #30

I am one of the luckiest guys on earth. When my wife was alive and we were camping we'd get to the campground and she'd take the dog for a walk. When she got back I had the trailer in the site and the awning out and chairs set up. Never complained about where the trailer sat on the site.

I found it relatively easy to just look the site over before backing in and a couple "progress checking trips to the rear" were no big deal.

Sounds like some make a lot more trips to the rear just to argue with their wife over how they were getting their signals crossed.

With backup cameras being inexpensive today I might suggest that one could be considered a "Marital Aid".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #31

You might try using hand signals like these.
Tx2Stepn Yorkies
Tx2Stepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #32
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
I get to see how this goes next Monday. I think I'm going to give her one voice command: "STOP" and leave it at that for now.
Every one has their own way. For us, my wife drives the camper by telling me which way the rear needs to go. She sees the mechanics of getting parked way better than I ever have. She could do the parking, too, but I'm a terrible spotter.

Here are more ideas:
Tips and Tricks to Backing Up | Learn To RV
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #33
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I am one of the luckiest guys on earth. When my wife was alive and we were camping we'd get to the campground and she'd take the dog for a walk. When she got back I had the trailer in the site and the awning out and chairs set up. Never complained about where the trailer sat on the site.

I found it relatively easy to just look the site over before backing in and a couple "progress checking trips to the rear" were no big deal.

Sounds like some make a lot more trips to the rear just to argue with their wife over how they were getting their signals crossed.

With backup cameras being inexpensive today I might suggest that one could be considered a "Marital Aid".
I'm actually more like you...

My ex used to stand back there and shout out commands and I ignored them and just backed it up (usually in one shot) and put it right where I wanted it.

I learned to back trailers when I was under 10 years old back in the 60's...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #34

Sounds like a lot of common themes here....potential for a support a group.

All I'll say is that it's the most undesirable part of my camping trip and leave it at that.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #35

Undesirable, would be doing it in heavy rain. Luckily, last year, the only time I had to set up in the rain, we had a pull-through.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #36
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Sounds like a lot of common themes here....potential for a support a group.

All I'll say is that it's the most undesirable part of my camping trip and leave it at that.
There is a support group for that. its called "Everyone" and they meet at the bar only on days that end in "Y"

Im just glad my wife doesnt do the flailing arm thing and can back up the trailer when needed! At least we are all out camping, THATS the important part!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #37

Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions and laughs, it's nice to know I'm not alone...

Showed the DW the video of the hand signals for future reference and she agreed they made sense. She was however curious and asked why I was looking at the video so I decided I to show her who started this post and why

She read through my post and practically peed her pants laughing... When she got to the part about her not telling me how to turn the wheel she got a little defensive and said "Well did you tell them you always turn the wheel the wrong way?" This is when I had to remind her again, her signals are confusing so lets stick to the signals in the video OK

So we've agreed to use those signals and only those signals in the video from now on and I think it will help...

There are however 2 things I'm certain of:
1) She'll need a little pep talk and reminder each time we park
2) She'll definitely find a way to make those boring signals a little more dramatic and emotional

My wife, got to love her
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #38

I feel your pain. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts at training, I did an internet search and found a picture document of common construction site hand signals. They are almost identical to the guy in the u-tube. We now have a common language.
If she walks out of sight of my mirrors, I hit the brakes until she walks back into view. She usually gets that message pretty quickly.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #39

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Biker View Post
You know it brother!!

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS