Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
Hunt, Fish, Camp, Repeat

Battery/Converter Question

I'm a software guy by trade so I know enough to admit I don't understand a lot about electricity. Anyway, our 2015 Sandpiper 372LOK has a converter. The manual basically say only that which is next to useless. I have to get two new batteries to replace the cheap interstate batteries the unit came with. In reviewing these many of them tell you the float. For example, the ones I'm looking at say 14.4-14.7. Others are in the 13.2-13.4 range. I'm not sure what float I need the battery at to ensure proper charging and no issues with premature death (or course we will ensure we have no parasitic draws on power). For anybody who knows how the converters work, is there a way I can tell the converter will work optimally with a specific battery? Do converters adjust their charge levels based on the battery (magically somehow)?

I'm asking because the batteries I'm looking at aren't cheap and I want to make sure I've done all my homework before pulling to trigger. Thanks in advance.

--Tony
IA-Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

i understand your concerns. yes there are converters that can be programmed to match the charge profile of the specific battery. and then there are converters where no adjustments are possible. please provide the make / model of you converter and the make / model of the batteries you are thinking about and somebody will reply how to optimize the combination. all we know now is generic converter charging generic batteries.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Hunt, Fish, Camp, Repeat

Yeah, sorry about that. So wrapped in up the frustration that I didn't manage to give you the two most important things. So the power converter is a World Friendship-Arterra WF-9865 - 65A.

Regarding the batteries, I am looking at two x2power Group 24 AGM batteries from a local batteries+ store here in the Des Moines area but, honestly, I'm willing to change the battery to match the power converter specs.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Team

The converter is normally referred to as a WFCO9865 which is standard on many FR units. The specs for this convertor are.
voltage output modes:

13.2 VDC “float” mode,

13.6 VDC “absorption” mode,

14.4 VDC “bulk” charge mode.

If you want to keep the converter, these are the numbers you should use as a guide. If you want to add higher performance batteries, you can change to a Progressive Dynamics convertor. They have direct drop in models that have better performance. https://www.progressivedyn.com/

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM   #5

So, what is wrong with Interstate batteries? I bought my Cedar Creek in 2012 and my 4 Interstate 6 volt batteries are still good. Hope I didn't just jinx them!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

Still running two 12v Interstate batteries going on three years now. Still have the stock converter that came with my trailer. No issues to speak of so far.
Blackrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #7

Nothing is wrong with Interstate batteries. My 2 12v, series 27 marine type, last me on average for five years, and I abuse the hell out of them. I can find them anywhere, and they are cheap. And my WFCO converter works fine with original wiring. My batteries are also 30' from my converter.
We boondock 80% of the time, so actually use our batteries.
You can upgrade converter, wiring, batteries, monitors, etc, and spend all the $$$ you want. But you don't actually have to in order to enjoy your RV in the backwoods.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
Hunt, Fish, Camp, Repeat

Yeah, sorry, I'll opt out of the religious war I started with my comment about Interstate batteries. in short, they didn't last very long and I'm not happy with them and I'll leave it at that. I'm sure, like you, others have had good luck with them.

So the battery I'm looking at getting is here:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ls/sli24agmdpm

Of course even on the spec sheets I don't see where they list the float, absorption and bulk measurements which is frustrating. Not sure if any of you have the same battery and have more information. I have a call in to get more information but apparently there is only one guy in the area capable of answering my questions so I'm in a hold until I hear back from him.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Outdoors View Post

WOW. That's one expensive battery!
jd4010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IA-Outdoors View Post
Yeah, sorry, I'll opt out of the religious war I started with my comment about Interstate batteries. in short, they didn't last very long and I'm not happy with them and I'll leave it at that. I'm sure, like you, others have had good luck with them.

Of course even on the spec sheets I don't see where they list the float, absorption and bulk measurements which is frustrating. Not sure if any of you have the same battery and have more information. I have a call in to get more information but apparently there is only one guy in the area capable of answering my questions so I'm in a hold until I hear back from him.

Personally, for deep discharge, I would go for the Lifeline or Vmax AGM batteries. The one you are looking at is still not a dedicated deep discharge battery. Deka is also good if you select the true deep discharge version.

Here is the VMAX

https://www.amazon.com/Vmaxtanks-Bat...gateway&sr=8-3

Lifeline:

https://batteryguys.com/products/lif...yABEgLfpfD_BwE

Here is the Lifeline technical manual
https://2cw8eb1vmmgg3g5i7jzt6upo-wpe...al-5-06-19.pdf
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Personally, for deep discharge, I would go for the Lifeline or Vmax AGM batteries. The one you are looking at is still not a dedicated deep discharge battery.
X2 When looking for a true deep cycle battery skip the ones that list "cold cranking amps" or something similar. A deep cycle is not intended for cranking a starter motor.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, converter