Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #41

The third time I hitched my 5r the hitch failed even though it looked latched. The dealer had installed the hitch wrong and I learned to check and double check. The dealer fixed the camper and now my tailgate closes and opens better. Do the pull test with 5r wheels chocked and full on manual on the brake controller. Also always install a lock on your hitch. We came out of a Cracker Barrel and another 5r was off the truck and on the ground. The owner does not know if somebody pulled his release but it was in the unhitch position. Dirty trick if somebody did this.
James Briar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #42

My problem finding the bedsaver I need is the carriage width of the hitch. I have a narrow width carriage (24 inches). The dealer I purchased the hitch from told me he would take care of me. He certainly did! Ouch
Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why would you put the Butch's pin back in after unhitching?

You have to pull pin before hitching. Forget...you will remember.

Have to pull pin to see jaws...if you want to inspect at any time.

You can push or pull once unhitched. Does not matter at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
Had a good laugh at the post that said basically if they were so great all the manufacturers would be adapting their pins to accept it. It takes 5 min to put the adapter on why would they bother?
Adapter... that's the key reason it voids manufacturers warranties and Andersen had to provide their own warranty for your rig. Unfortunately you have to prove it was the Anderson that caused the damage. Almost impossible w/o a lot of $$$$.

I'll stick to my old 5th wheel hitch that doesn't void the warranty.

All this was just to say that the Anderson doesn't solve any problems/concerns, it just provides different ones

To each his own.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
You have to pull pin before hitching. Forget...you will remember.
Have to pull pin to see jaws...if you want to inspect at any time.
You can push or pull once unhitched. Does not matter at that point.
I just lay the pin in the bed of the truck along side the hitch when I unhitch. It just lays there until I hitch up again and re-install it.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Adapter... that's the key reason it voids manufacturers warranties and Andersen had to provide their own warranty for your rig. Unfortunately you have to prove it was the Anderson that caused the damage. Almost impossible w/o a lot of $$$$.

I'll stick to my old 5th wheel hitch that doesn't void the warranty.

All this was just to say that the Anderson doesn't solve any problems/concerns, it just provides different ones

To each his own.
Here we go again. The Andersen is a great hitch when people who actually use one are discussing them. Then the people with their old fifth wheel hitch chime in about how bad they think the hitch performs. Then the warranty topic... It connects at the same place as a pin does and does not change anything but the connection is an articulating ball instead of a pin.
Starting my second year with the Andersen and looking forward to great towing performance and a 32 pound hitch. Happy trails to all.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #47

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and assistance with finding an alternative to the Blue Ox bedsaver but most of all I'd to thank all of you for your support! This is a great forum. I've got some decisions to make as to how I resolve my dilemma but I feel much more comfortable moving forward with the information all of you have provided. I hope to meet some of you in the future. I'll be at the Mayberry, Gettysburg and Goshen Rallies. Thanks!

Jim

Sent from my KFASWI using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #48

There is a Pickup bed Tool Box manufacturer out of Oregon. They make two tool boxes which are unique for Tow Vehicles.
The traditional tool box which rests forward in the bed of the Pickup adjacent to the back of the cab of the truck is unique in that the tool box has no wing compartment that overhang over the rails of the side of the bed walls.
This makes it impossible for fifth wheel RV's from damaging the tool box, the cab or the rails of the bed of the truck.
The other unique tool box for Fifth Wheel rigs is called a "Goose Neck Tool Box."
The manufacturer of the Gooseneck Tool Box made in Oregon claims that the construction design of this product is so strong that it has saved truck beds from accidental pin boxes falling on the bed.
These tool boxes are not inexpensive.
Do an engine search on the Internet for the following: Gooseneck Tool Box
I agree with many posts submitted here.
There is no substitue for vigilance, strict standards of procedure and operation.
However, we stil carry fire extinguishers, blankets, food and water.
I'm in the 69th year of life however I still follow the basic tenet learned as a Boy Scout.
"Be Prepared"
PENDING RETIREMENT TO PURCHASE 5TH WHEEL TH
FLAVOR OF THE MONTH:
THUNDERBOLT XLR 340X12HP
RafenJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
If you had the Andersen Ultimate, that would be one more thing you wouldn't have to worry about.

X4

Works great and no questioning if it has been hitched.

Takes some getting use to when hitching (on mine) due to the position of the ball in relation to the axle. Slightly forward of the rear axle changes the movement in the approach. When able to back straight in it is a one shot deal. When coming at an angle it takes some getting use to.

Best $399 I spent.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, fifth wheel, hitch, wheel