Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #1

best over the air tv antenna

i have a King antenna and the signal pick up is terrible, it works at my house but im in a area now that i know there is over the air tv available, i think they make one that you dont have to turn to get a signal. if anyone has one and a good place to purchase please let me know.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #2

I feel your pain, so to speak. I don't think any of these new low profile antennas seem to work as well as the good old batwings, but just my opinion. And for what it is worth, we had a fixed (non-turning) omni-directional antenna on our last camper and it was the worst antenna I've ever had on a camper. We have the low profile Wineguard Rayzor on current camper and it does a decent job, not sure if it is any better than the King or not. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy camping!
Happy Camping!
tonyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz1 View Post
I feel your pain, so to speak. I don't think any of these new low profile antennas seem to work as well as the good old batwings, but just my opinion. And for what it is worth, we had a fixed (non-turning) omni-directional antenna on our last camper and it was the worst antenna I've ever had on a camper. We have the low profile Wineguard Rayzor on current camper and it does a decent job, not sure if it is any better than the King or not. Just my 2 cents worth. Happy camping!
i agree all the other campers i had the batwing and they worked great, im gonna by one like i have in my house and see how that works, i hate having wires running around but i gotta try it. thanks
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

I had a Continu.us Omni antenna that got zero channels to a Winegard "Batwing" and got 30 OTA channels.
The Continu.us was a "feature" installed by Forest River.
To recognize a Continu.us antenna, it looks like a hat with two whiskers poking out of it.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:45 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
I’m with the others. My current coach has the King (good looking) antenna. Can’t pull 10% of the channels the batwing with add-on wing man could pull in.

Thank goodness for King (Dish) Tailgator portable sat.

NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA #455593, WIT #170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
i have a King antenna and the signal pick up is terrible, it works at my house but im in a area now that i know there is over the air tv available, i think they make one that you dont have to turn to get a signal. if anyone has one and a good place to purchase please let me know.
Reception depends on several factors. Check connections and your booster. I can receive Chicago channels at home (60 miles away), but camp much closer at the Indiana Dunes SP, and not get as good as reception due to the fact the campground is behind the dunes. I don't go camping to watch TV. Good luck.
HAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

tv antenna

I have a 2014 rpod. The antenna is Omni-direction, I have good service with it.
bgrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #8

We have had Batwing, which came with our unit, but I put "Jack" antennae on our previous unit ,replacing the Batwing, and I felt it was slightly better.
Garnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:54 PM   #9

We have the old batwing on our 2014 Rockwood and it does great. But if I ever wanted a new antenna for RV use, I'd go on Ebay and buy one of these 150-200 mile antennas for less than $25 and bring a small tripod and a pole. They are amplified and some have a power rotator from the TV. (They are not made to mount to an RV roof.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/200-Mile-TV...MAAOSwCY5dA3Gr

You could set up the tripod next to the RV or on the roof if you were more ambitious. I have had several of these at my home and have gotten TV stations 100 miles away over hilly territory. In the Midwest in flatter terrain they probably would reach 150 miles.
Larry

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #10

OTA Antenna

I've had the Wineguard Rayzar Automatic antenna for the last 3 yrs and have been very happy with it. When I get to a site just turn it on and it automatically rotates and finds the local signals and locks on. Takes a couple minutes but then your good to go. Here's a link for one at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Auto.../dp/B00T36ODKK
wz3mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #11

My factory installed antenna just didn't work very well. I decided to just bypass it all together by buying a regular antenna and mounting it to a 10 ft long piece of electrical conduit. I cut the conduit into two pieces. The lower section is mounted with a couple clamps to the ladder and rests on the top of the back bumper. The upper section has the antenna mounted to it.
When I get set up my site I attach the upper section to the lower section and run the cable from the antenna to the TV. Point the antenna at the tower location by rotating the pole and presto! This setup has really improved the reception and the number of channels. I also found an app that has been really helpful in pointing the antenna the right direction. It's called TV Towers and is a free download.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz3mo View Post
I've had the Wineguard Rayzar Automatic antenna for the last 3 yrs and have been very happy with it. When I get to a site just turn it on and it automatically rotates and finds the local signals and locks on. Takes a couple minutes but then your good to go. Here's a link for one at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Auto.../dp/B00T36ODKK
Nice upgrade ... how was the install ... Thanks
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #13

I am not sure just what we have yet,,,
But it sure does not work like our old Batwing !!!
I must go see what we have !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I am not sure just what we have yet,,,
But it sure does not work like our old Batwing !!!
I must go see what we have !!!
We have what is called... WINEGARD ROTATE FOR TRAVEL TRAILER ???
Have found no paperwork,,, Will check it out on Google !!!

Old 08-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
I had a Continu.us Omni antenna that got zero channels to a Winegard "Batwing" and got 30 OTA channels.
The Continu.us was a "feature" installed by Forest River.
To recognize a Continu.us antenna, it looks like a hat with two whiskers poking out of it.
I have the Continu.us Omni antenna and it outperforms my neighbors King Jack, hands down. He was so impressed with my T.V. reception that he ordered one from Amazon to replace his King Jack:

https://www.amazon.com/Continu-us-Om...omotive&sr=1-1
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #16

The one thing I have noticed on newer campers with the King Jack antenna installed, is that they don't come with the signal meter in the interior base of the antenna. My '18 Phoenix FW, did not come with it, but my '13 Rockwood did. This helps when pointing the antenna to get the strongest signal from the local stations. So I purchased the King Jack Surelock external signal meter and connected between the TV and antenna.

https://www.amazon.com/KING-SL1000-S...a-435712284365
Nights Camped 2023 = 30
Nights Camped 2022 = 40
jtatum65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #17

Looks as if we have Winegard RAYZAR Black,,,
Have only tried it in our driveway with a tall line of trees north of out TT,,, north is where all of our TV Stations are,,, we only get 1 station,,, and it is broken !!!
Will report back when we are parked some where else !!!
With our old Crank Up antenna we got many station parked in that same location ???
Old 08-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #18

our original antenna has never been worth a hoot, ... have abandoned it and gone to the setup shown in the photo, ... $25 antenna from Walmart mounted on a 24' painters pole from Lowe's, the difference is amazing, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0842.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	211738  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank4711 View Post
Nice upgrade ... how was the install ... Thanks
Install was easy. They supply a piece to cover up where you removed the old omni-antenna. You just unscrew the coax from the old antenna and screw it into the new cable of the Rayzar. The Rayzar base screws into the roof with 3 screws then silicon the screws. Easy swap out of the old power booster to the new.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wz3mo View Post
Install was easy. They supply a piece to cover up where you removed the old omni-antenna. You just unscrew the coax from the old antenna and screw it into the new cable of the Rayzar. The Rayzar base screws into the roof with 3 screws then silicon the screws. Easy swap out of the old power booster to the new.
I want to add that the earlier pre 2017 Rayzar's had an issue with the mother board error code E3. I originally had a 2016 model which stopped working after the first year (still under warranty). They sent me the new updated motherboard model and it's been great ever since going on 3 yrs now. Earlier models got the bad reviews!

Tags
antenna