Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #1

Beware RV delivery drivers - Report Damage Immediately

Delivery driver for rv wholesalers trashed my new trailer. When he arrived at our house the brakes on my unit were overheated and when they cooled one wheel was seized. Rvw sent a Dexter axle repair man to our house to fix it which was great but the whole fiasco could have been avoided. I also had to replace the tire that got so hot it discolored the tire and of course I couldn't find the cheap China bomb that forest river used so 650 dollars later the trailer is finally ready for a trip. My advice is to go get it yourself if you buy from rvw. Rvw was great getting it fixed but they didn't reimburse me for the tire and I will probably never get the break dust of the wheel. Wish I knew how to post a pic of the electric brake....never seen a drum brake so destroyed.
Windjammer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #2
Always Learning

Do you have any idea what did the delivery driver did that caused this?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #3

I would say either drove too fast or maybe hit something I'm not sure or maybe his cheap old Ford truck just wasn't any good and the brake controller had something to do with it.... not sure. not very happy about buying a $35,000 camper and when it arrives to me its damaged.RV wholesalers did their part excellently except for paying to replace the damaged tire the tire may have been okay but I don't feel safe with it.... it was over 190 when I checked it with my infrared thermometer
Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

I'm not defending anyone here, but a brake assy possibly hanging up or adjusted up too much wouldn't be a delivery drivers issue. I've seen motorhomes towing trailers with the driver totally unaware of the wheel entirely gone and sparks flying off the spindle dragging the road. With the more powerful (diesel) trucks, a dragging electric brake is barely noticable until you stop and smell the aftermath.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #5

it is the delivery drivers responsibility he does represent the company that I bought it from a tire pressure monitoring system would have solved that problem immediately besides it's a self-adjusting Dexter axle not saying that it wasn't bad but if he had a tire pressure monitoring system he would have known immediately.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammer99 View Post
it is the delivery drivers responsibility he does represent the company that I bought it from a tire pressure monitoring system would have solved that problem immediately besides it's a self-adjusting Dexter axle not saying that it wasn't bad but if he had a tire pressure monitoring system he would have known immediately.
Totally agree! I would keep the pressure on RVW to at least meet you half way on the tire. Start posting your story everywhere you can and mail them links.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

RVW stepped up to the plate to get this fixed, I don't think bashing them is going to help here. RVW is not going to have there own drivers. They will hire out to an external company. To expect a company to have pressure monitoring system for the trailer is a bit much as well. Since only one brake was overheated I don't think it is a controller issue.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #8

I know how he feels when you buy something this expensive and there are things wrong with it. Ours was the same way with issues as they all seem to be. No matter what the price you pay for your rig it has some issues to be worked out. I think the OP should talk to RVW and explain the tire issue also and they would hopefully warranty the tire/tires also. Good luck with it.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

There is a shortage of RV delivery drivers nationally, which makes quality of delivery service a crap shoot.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #10
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
RVW stepped up to the plate to get this fixed, I don't think bashing them is going to help here. RVW is not going to have there own drivers. They will hire out to an external company. To expect a company to have pressure monitoring system for the trailer is a bit much as well. Since only one brake was overheated I don't think it is a controller issue.
Spot on reply!
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Tire pressure monitor wont do anything to prevent a brake drum from over heating. As far as delivery drivers having to use them that is not pratical, how would they with rubber valve stems?

BTW I doubt the brand of truck has anything to do with the brake failure. Sounds like a defect from day one.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #12

Self adjusting brakes fail just like manual adjusters ... they just cost more.
I know a couple of people in the delivery business ... you're expectations of them installing tire pressure monitors while delivering a unit is a bit aprenhesive. There is no money in delivering RV's to dealerships or individuals by the time you consider truck upkeep and fuel. It's just a way to get out and see the country for some.
My point was ... you can have a brake issue and not know it while simply towing down the road. I'm glad your axle was replaced and know all about disappointment in owning a new RV. My last had quality issues upon issues. I think you may have a bit of tunnel vision in the midst of your anxiety. Even you may tow a bit fast and hit a pot hole or two during your ownership.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #13

Rv wholesalers was excellent in the way they handled my issue. Just saying it is totally preventable...tire pressure monitoring systems can be transferred from wheel to wheel and metal valve stems are only $2 a piece just kind of sucks to buy something brand new its damage before you get it this is not my first RV it's actually my third and my second from RV wholesalers I realize there's going to be issues but some issues are totally avoidable
Old 07-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Rv wholesalers was excellent in the way they handled my issue. Just saying it is totally preventable...tire pressure monitoring systems can be transferred from wheel to wheel and metal valve stems are only $2 a piece just kind of sucks to buy something brand new its damage before you get it this is not my first RV it's actually my third and my second from RV wholesalers I realize there's going to be issues but some issues are totally avoidable

Windjammer, I totally understand your frustration, and would be equally as upset with purchasing a new RV and it showing up with damaged components.

However, as you can see from my avatar, as to what I do for a living. It's rather simplistic to think that even though a clamp-in metal stem is $2 per, that a delivery driver, or transporter is going to first take the RV to a tire dealer and pay to have these clamp-in valve stems installed. You would have to remove the tire/wheel from the RV, break the tire down, install the stem, and reinstall the tire/rim back to the RV. That would cost a whole lot more than $2, as you will find out once you do this to your RV...unless you have friends/family in the tire business.

Hopefully, this will be the only problems you encounter, and you are able to enjoy your RV and use it for the purpose you bought it for.

If you do encounter future problems, no matter the fault or reasons, you can be self assured and confident that you have many friends here on these forums who are eager to help...as well as share their vast experience and expertise.

Not even related, but just to show you how things don't always work out. I had a brand spanking new, in-the-box, tire balancer delivered yesterday to the shop. Upon un-crating it, the factory had forgot to put a main part on it, that makes it unusable until I get it. After a phone call, They are supposed to be shipping it right out, but that doesn't help my feelings now or can I use it as needed. The saving grace is the local retailer I bought it from, keeps a loaner balancer, for this very reason. It's just another example of how a good dealer can make a good hand out of bad cards dealt it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well, lesson learned. Glad you posted for others to be aware. It's bad when you depend on a company to deliver and they fail to do it right. It's something I'd never do. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:12 AM   #16

I am very confused at the responses here. Basically I am hearing everyone here say that Windjammer99 ordered a product, it came to him broken, some of what was broken was fixed and another part that was broken was not fixed and he is told to eat the costs. Everyone seems alright with that and keeps telling him that's just the way it is and to get used to it. Hmm, someone please explain why this is OK? I really don't get it.

There also appears to be some misinformation here. At least 2 brands of tire pressure and temp monitoring systems I have experience with will screw in the rubber stems. I am using one that way and the manufacturer says no problem. Which brand will not let you use it on rubber stems? Granted metal stems are better for lots of reasons but for a delivery trip cant see why a rubber stem would prevent using a monitor system. If someone would invest in a set of 4 it could be moved around over and ever again. This would have alerted the driver and the delivery could have stopped before extensive damage and original tires would have been saved.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:43 AM   #17

we had the delivery driver set out new 27 RKSS up on a 3 by 3 block of wood for the tongue jack and put the 4 stabilizers to full extension, then it fell off breaking 2 jacks.

that was after a hurricane had blown through the day before and the ground was soaked.

trim moulding had a huge gouge out of it and was actually hanging from around the picture window.

All 4 tires were worn tread wise (bias ply crap) because they hauled with 40 to 45 lbs pressure in each one.
I wondered why it swayed so badly bring it the rest of the way home and we actually drove past our home and straight to the tire dealership and changed them out for i think it was 10 ply Kumho's
Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Self adjusting brakes fail just like manual adjusters ... they just cost more.
I know a couple of people in the delivery business ... you're expectations of them installing tire pressure monitors while delivering a unit is a bit aprenhesive. There is no money in delivering RV's to dealerships or individuals by the time you consider truck upkeep and fuel. It's just a way to get out and see the country for some.
My point was ... you can have a brake issue and not know it while simply towing down the road. I'm glad your axle was replaced and know all about disappointment in owning a new RV. My last had quality issues upon issues. I think you may have a bit of tunnel vision in the midst of your anxiety. Even you may tow a bit fast and hit a pot hole or two during your ownership.
I didn't see where the (Axle) was replaced? Dexter sent a repairman out to replace (Brake assy/Hub/and Bearing & seal)! Being a (NEW Unit) I think the OP is Also Owed( Replacement $ for (1) OEM Tire,this will NOT be very much$! Also (1) New OEM Rim,that Red HOT brake Dust will Pit/Destroy the Finish be it a (White Rim or A Alum Rim)! That would return the Unit to (Like New) condition! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
did you pay to have the tire pressure monitoring system installed on the camper when you bought it? if not they will not install it for free. if this is what you want you should have had in installed at RV Wholesaler and requested that whoever drove your camper to you use it ot brought it home yourself. we've brought every camper we've bought home ourselves and had a complete walkthrough with each one, and the new 5th wheeler we have now has been in the shop more than we've had it because of issues that we found before we bought it home, one of the issues was with the new 5th wheel hitch we bought and had the dealer install. they had t replace it because of the issue. responsibility it insure it is right before you leave the dealership is yours. and also things happen because they happen. they couldn't have for see the issue just as you didn't for see the issue, but had you brought it home yourself you could have returned at the initial problem and had them replace it all there, including the tire, because you could have shown them the actual tire and the difference between it and the others.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
Commercial Member

The only advise I would have in this case, is buy Local.... The Extra 640 really saved the dime you saved, plus the hassle, and now the wining here....
2-B-REIL is offline   Reply With Quote