Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #1

Bike racks/receiver hitch extenders?

Wife is in the mood to grab the bikes with us the next time we go camping and I'm all for it.

Anyone have any recommendations on which rack to get? Do you typically need a receiver extension? If so, which ones are good?

I've got a shank that's L-shaped. Probably about 8-10" long sticking out, then the ball mounts on top of that. So, I'm not sure if I can use a rack that clamps on the shank or not.

If all else fails, I suppose I can put the bikes in the TT and cover them with blankets so that my walls don't get scratched up.
WWTT29FKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM   #2

WWTT29FKSS

I’m not sure I understand where you are planning to mount your carrier.
I’m looking for an affordable, safe and convenient method to bring bikes along also…(mentioned in this thread)
Maybe your solution will help me too!
Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 AM   #3

mn 308 .
It sounds like he's looking for something between ther tv and the tt mounted on the hitch. I wouldn't be able to manuever with that set up.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #4

flagstaff,

That was what I was guessing also, but I don't know that I could get around with that set-up either, so thought that maybe I was off on my assumption.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #5

You're right, I'm looking for a 6-10 inch extender so I can mount the rack directly behind the truck on the hitch. I've heard it's doable as long as you don't turn super-tight.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #6

But what if you need to turn 'super-tight'?

I'm not doubting you, questioning your suggested arrangement, or anything like that (I'm not that way).
I'm also just looking for options, and learning from your post...

Can you tell I have a worrying nature?
(Murphy seems to ride in the cab with me...)
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #7

Heh, you've got a point. I hear you, I'm just looking for some way to carry the bikes.

I've got a tonneau cover and the bikes won't fit under that.

I also am not a huge fan of putting a rack on the bumper of the trailer. I'd hate to have them bounce off or something and have someone else hit them.

Although, it may be better putting them back there.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #8

Why not mount them off a front hitch.
leoj1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Why not mount them off a front hitch.
Because I don't have one and don't want to spend the $ to have it put on. Also I'd rather not have the bikes line-of-sight in front of the truck.

I guess my options are:

-bikes ride in the TT with blankets over them
-bikes ride on the back of the tt bumper w/ a welded or bolted on rack
-bikes ride behind the truck on the hitch (seems to be least desirable).
Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM   #10

I installed a longer shank and am using the model found at this link. I only use it for two bikes and made some pretty tight turns and had no clearance problems. It does get a little cramped when hooking up the trailer, but no problems other than that. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-BRT~40123.htm
bbrown41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #11

RE: Hitch extender

Prior to moving to a 31' travel trailer, I had a Rockwood tent camper and did not want to beef up the rear bumper, so I could not add a hitch to the rear bumper. I eventually moved to a receiver extender that also had an additional receiver slot on top of it (double stacked) similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Receiv.../dp/B000P6CJ9O
and used this bike rack with it:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...k/skunum=17222
Only issue was I felt a lot of wobble when towing with it, and no matter how I tried to tighten it up, I couldn’t get the slop out of it.
The primary issue now is that due to the weight of the 31' trailer, I cannot use the extender (I think), so I intend to just mount a receiver on the 31'er's bumper to accept the receiver extension. This will allow me to mount the bike rack as well as use a "tray" in the lower receiver slow for anything else we can't cram into the nooks and crannies.

Regards,
isiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #12
RAC

My wicked bike rack experience:

Lisa found one for the spare tire. good design, easy to hook up, holds 3 bikes.

Unfortunately in the cost cutting, FR put a el cheapo bracket on the spare tire mount. After less than 20 miles, guy honks and says, hey, you better check out the bikes. So I do, and after fourteen hundred "kind" words about FR, went along the way. have decided I like the bike rack so much, that I am going to straighten it out, and drive case hardened bolts through the middle of it to attach it to the bumper. Also going to replace the cheap u-bolts (also bent) with good old-fashioned american steel.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #13

I have been looking at bike racks. I have seen the U clamp style that straddles the spare tire onto the square tubular bumper. Since the tubular bumpers arent extremelly substantial and are subjected to extensive vibration and bending plus the loading, the bumplers can break resulting in failure of the frame, lost bikes, etc. I had a rv sales person recommend that a 4 x 4 be placed inside th tubular bumper to provide addn support where the mounts go. this is if you dont use the bumper for storage. I also appreciated the input on the u bolt integrity, i plan to review this whole assembly before using. thanks for the info.

phil
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #14

I installed a bike rack on the front of my truck. I have 2 tow hooks extending from under the front bumper which I attached a 3/8 steel bar which was bolted to the tow hooks. I then welded a bike rack to that bar. Works fine and can carry 2 bikes. I have good vision of the road and no problems at nite with the lites on. Will post pic when have time!!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
My wicked bike rack experience:

Lisa found one for the spare tire. good design, easy to hook up, holds 3 bikes.

Unfortunately in the cost cutting, FR put a el cheapo bracket on the spare tire mount. After less than 20 miles, guy honks and says, hey, you better check out the bikes. So I do, and after fourteen hundred "kind" words about FR, went along the way. have decided I like the bike rack so much, that I am going to straighten it out, and drive case hardened bolts through the middle of it to attach it to the bumper. Also going to replace the cheap u-bolts (also bent) with good old-fashioned american steel.
I think you'll find that now the whole bumper might rip off. Bed of the truck, in the trailer or front receiver.

Tom
tomhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #16
RJW

Smile

I'd consider putting the bikes in the bed of the truck, or on the rear of the tt,
if you extend the length of the hitch for a rack you are changing the way the trailer tows,

the closer to the tow vehicle the hitch ball is, the better results you will have towing.

not to mention crunch on bikes or tt during a turn, it will only take forgetting about them being there one time and the bottles or corner of the tt will do a number on them.
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack