Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #1

Blow out

I had a blowout on the left rear of my 5th wheel. It damaged my lower skirting and the plastic wheel fairing, or wheel well. Also trashed my black and #1 gray valve handles.
Nobody was hurt and I rolled slowly for a mile to a great spot to work on it. I had tools to change out to the spare tire. The FR tire tool is absolute junk and I ruined it in 5 seconds. Fortunately, I had other tire tools.
So, do I need to replace all tires at this point? 5000 miles and very good thread. Are these tires inherently dangerous, or is this incident just a normal event?

ST225/75R15 Provider Radial ST.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #2

Had a tire go down on our 5th wheel like you left rear. The first thing I would do is check the left front tire. Due to the shift of weight to the left front tire it ended up with a bulge on the inside of the tire. I ended up changing all the tires. I would suggest if you do change out all 4 tires you go to Goodyear G614s or Sailun 637s.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #3

Those seem like really small tires for a fiver....???

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
Those seem like really small tires for a fiver....???
Not sure what you mean. That is the standard size that my unit came with. It's the type indicated on the frame decal. I decided to used a mobile tire service on the recommendation of a neighbor. He'll come in a few days and mount new tires at my house. I got a grade higher, and they will be about $90 each, plus $3 to haul off the old. I hope some farmer ends up with my old tires on the cheap!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #5

When we bought our Toy hauler this year I checked the dates on the tires when they were made, we bought a good used 2013 and the tires where dated 17/12 which means they where made the 17th week of 2012. I Had the tires replaced before I even hooked up to it, had sailun G rated 14 ply tires put on her because they have heavy durable sidewalls. I have been told a lot of TT have cheap E rated Chinese tires, but anyway you should change your tires out every 5 years or sooner if you are constantly putting several thousand miles a year on them. Also cheap tires will heat up faster and blow out if you pull at high rates of speed.

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerreknit View Post
I had a blowout on the left rear of my 5th wheel. It damaged my lower skirting and the plastic wheel fairing, or wheel well. Also trashed my black and #1 gray valve handles.
Nobody was hurt and I rolled slowly for a mile to a great spot to work on it. I had tools to change out to the spare tire. The FR tire tool is absolute junk and I ruined it in 5 seconds. Fortunately, I had other tire tools.
So, do I need to replace all tires at this point? 5000 miles and very good thread. Are these tires inherently dangerous, or is this incident just a normal event?

ST225/75R15 Provider Radial ST.
First off, Forest River doesn’t provide a tire tool with trailers. Are you sure you didn’t ruin the tool for the rear stabilizers or the tool to manually retract the landing gear.

Your trailer is a 2011 year model so there is a high probability it was built in 2010. As far as I’m concerned once ST tires are 4 years old it’s time to replace them regardless of miles. Which brings me to this question. You only have 5000 miles on a 2011 model year trailer?

Sorry for your issues but yes, replace all the tires.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #7

The tire tool was thrown in to sweeten my purchase deal, along with a spare tire cover. My tires were manufactured March 2010, so as I have learned, they are at the end of dependable service even though they look perfect. The 5er is kept under a carport, and proper pressure is maintained constantly.
The total mileage is an estimate. We make up to 12 trips per year of about 100 miles.
I am going to get a TPMS soon. I've heard that they can help you avoid problems like this.